Music Nomad F-one oil thoughts.

Chris Martin

So I’ve been testing out the F-One oil on one of my PRSi and I gotta say I may not use it anymore. The smell is such an odd one that you can smell while your playing and you all will laugh but it smells like dirty potatoes straight from the field . Anyone else have thoughts on it?

I don't get it. PRS offers (and presumably stands behind) their fretboard lemon oil cleaner and their own special tung oil to condition fretboards, yet people run out and buy stuff that is charitably described as 'smells like dirty potatoes', or that reeks of coconut (so you know for sure it's likely to attract bacteria, go rancid, and you don't even know what the hell else is in it).

This being Festivus Season, I'll say the magic words:

I got a lot of problems with you people...

I don't get it. PRS offers (and presumably stands behind) their fretboard lemon oil cleaner and their special tung oil to condition fretboards, yet people run out and buy stuff that is charitably described as 'smells like dirty potatoes' or that reeks of coconut (so you know for sure it's likely to attract bacteria, go rancid, and you don't even know what the hell else is in it).

When I first came to England, I was told once by a wise man - if you can't understand it, it's either fashion or tradition.

I'll take fashion for the win. :)
Purely :) Once in a while, next best thing hits the market. I remember when Fret Doctor was a thing - I bought a bottle, and I still have a quarter left. Is it the best thing ever? I don't know; it works for me. It doesn't smell like potatoes, though.

Whatever I do with my guitars when it comes to the setup and maintenance at this moment in my life is just a tradition. I'm just done with trying, and I'm sticking to the proven solutions.

Last edited:
I've been using food grade lemon oil for many year for fretboard conditioning and have the same bottle from 2007. A little dab will do ya, as the late McMurphy said.

I'm prob starting a discussion with that lemon oil bottle...and it smells so good!

What’s wrong with a little Fretboard Au Graten?

Seriously, though, it’s wood. If anything, players over-oil fretboards… they don’t require a ton of maintenance. PRS, EBMM, and others make specific products for it, as a safe route. I’m one of the furniture lemon oil guys, but that’s on a rarely rare basis. A little goes a long, long way.

I don't get it. PRS offers (and presumably stands behind) their fretboard lemon oil cleaner and their own special tung oil to condition fretboards, yet people run out and buy stuff that is charitably described as 'smells like dirty potatoes', or that reeks of coconut (so you know for sure it's likely to attract bacteria, go rancid, and you don't even know what the hell else is in it).

You have valid points here lol. I’ve never actually considered the PRS products stupidly enough! I will most likely go back to what I know or try out the PRS oils and conditioners.

What’s wrong with a little Fretboard Au Graten?

Seriously, though, it’s wood. If anything, players over-oil fretboards… they don’t require a ton of maintenance. PRS, EBMM, and others make specific products for it, as a safe route. I’m one of the furniture lemon oil guys, but that’s on a rarely rare basis. A little goes a long, long way.
Freatboard Au Graten!

Back