MT 15

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by RedGuitars, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Kevin54

Kevin54 New Member

Hey everyone! I just bought a new MT 15 on the cheap from Europe. I live in the US so now I gotta deal with the 230v / 50Hz power supply.

I already reached out to customer service to see if it’s the kind of transformer where you just move a couple wires and everything works, or if it would need to be replaced, or if I should just buy a step up voltage converter.

Has someone here already dealt with this issue?

2. veltro_205

veltro_205 New Member

I tried in a store, I love the sound of the amp:rolleyes:! You are right, the lead channel has a "step" in the volume, also the minimum volume you can reach is loud (IMHO) for a pure bedroom usage... but I love it...

Why "Being Class A would defeat the purpose of this amp"?:)

bodia likes this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

It's designed to be a butt kicking high gain monster. To have a lot of gut punch. That works better with push-pull Class A/B

bodia likes this.
  4. LeeBob

LeeBob New Member

Hi all. I just picked up an MT15 secondhand. The clean channel is as advertised. Pristine, loud and takes pedals well. I am however disappointed in the lead channel. I viewed numerous videos on YouTube and heard the amp in person with Tremonti himself playing through it at one of his guitar clinics. In all of those instances the gain was full, rich and punchy.

I'm playing mine through a PRS Deep 2x12 with V30s. With my Tremonti Core guitar the lead channel is very fizzy, the gain is undefined. For chords it is very muddy. With my Strat with a Suhr Thornbucker, it's slightly better, I assume due to the lower output. Could it be tubes? Cab?

For those that have replaced tubes, what did you switch to?

5. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I liked a new production Mullard 12ax7 in V1, and a 12at7 in the phase inverter, the Mullard was a little clearer in the top frequencies and the 12at7 instead of the stock 12ax7 tamed the gain and volume from coming on so quickly with the knob taper. That being said, I don’t know that tubes alone will get you what you’re looking for. I feel that the MT15 with ordinary V30’s can be tricky to dial in, and like you mentioned, muddy and undefined. Whereas when Mark plays it, sounds great, when I use the same settings, just doesn’t sound the same. The tricks for me have been, #1, learning to set the amp with my ears not eyes, the sweet spot on the treble control is around 2:00-3:00 where it has a very sharp onset, and keeping the bass lower, around 9:00-10:00, which is not at all where Mark sets his. #2 is cab and speakers, there are V30-ish variants that I find the amp works better with than the ordinary variety. I have a set of Eminence drivers in a PRS 2x12 that are similar to WGS Retro 30’s that I like a lot, more treble but not in a harsh way, and also I recently got Mesa 4x12 that really punches with the MT15, they use tweaked V30’s.

bodia likes this.
  6. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

There are so many variances in electronics components it may as well be black magic. Heck, the values can drift over time. And an amp that could have been set up perfectly the day before can sound sub-optimal the next.

I'd start with mucking with the bias on the power tubes. Then swapping out the pre-amp tubes.

After that, it gets expensive unless you are handy with a multimeter and a soldering iron. Even then it's an arduous process of taking capacitors and resistors out of circuit to measure their values and compare with the spec.

What I am saying is, amps are just like guitars, they are going to sound different from one to the next. Unless Paul figures out how to do TCI treatment to them too. Now *that* would be a revolution.

7. Kevin54

Kevin54 New Member

Self-replying here:
    You can indeed change the input voltage by swapping out the fuse, disconnecting one wire and connecting another. Mine is working now and I’m super happy with it

bodia and Black Plaid like this.