MT 15

I love that tune & play several songs by Collective Soul........

Thanks again for the info & I’m glad that it’s working out so well for you.

I should have mine soon & plan to run it w/ my Fractal FX8. The FX8 gives me TRS & or midi amp channel switching, plus some stellar FX. I’ll be able to get me lower Gain tones from virtual FX8 drive pedals as well as boosts for lead volume.

I will mainly run one of two V30 loaded 2x12 cabinets too.

Peace! X

I think the amp will integrate into your rig very nicely!

At our gig, of the other 5-6 guitar players, I noticed a few multi-fx boards. I’ve expected it for a while, but haven’t seen it as a majority until this. I think maybe the turning point has been reached, where the effects are good enough that if you’re building a rig and don’t already have a bunch of money sunk into boutique pedals, it’s more cost effective as well as more streamlined for live playing. I would love to have a way to program our set into a sequence so I can just single tap through each change!

I just got “The Call” from Sweetwater & my MT15 should arrive tomorrow afternoon!!!! \m/

I read some amazing reviews from the recent LA Amp show & eveyobody was blown away by it! They say the tones are glorious & the over-all volume is very impressive.

I do hope that there’s not an issue w/ amp buzz & that it’s similar to most standard amp noise.

I’ll post an update here or do a full thread w/ pics, Audio & a quick demo on video.....

Peace! X

Last edited:
Congrats! I think you'll be very happy with the volume. And no buzz issues with mine so far.

Quick question: What would make my clean channel fade to almost no volume?

I still had plenty of power on the Red Channel, but the Blue Channel almost died.

They really weird thing is that it eventually came back after a few minutes.

Is this just a pre-amp tube going bad? I was playing on full power mode for over a 1/2 hour.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys....

X

Thx for all the reply’s boys!!!!

Q: Do preamp tubes need to be matched?

I never thought that this was an important thing.

I want to get some spare tubes, but wasn’t planning on a full set & I wasn’t going to get High Gain either.

Low Noise is important, but what about “Balanced Triodes”?

Photo%20Oct%2016%2C%201%2022%2033%20PM.jpg

Any thoughts on what tubes are good replacements are also welcome too.

I did just find this link with some answers......

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-and-balanced-triodes-any-value-here.1141599/

X

Some would argue that in the PI slot, balanced triodes are the only way you'll hear the amp exactly as the designer was intended. Many PI' stages are imbalanced on purpose, but a tube that has T1 hotter than T2, vs. one that is balanced, vs. one that has T2 hotter than T1, will sound different. The caveat being, you may prefer the sound of an unbalanced one even though it doesn't represent the designers intent as well. (Edit: And the harder you push the PI and output stage, the more you'll hear the difference).

For the preamp tubes other than the PI slot, I would not pay extra for balanced triodes.

Now, low noise and microphonics, in a high gain amp with multiple gain stages, YES. At least in the earlier stages, but maybe all. I also would not pay extra for high gain tubes in an amp that has so much gain.

If I were starting new, I’d probably try a balanced Sovtek LPS for the PI slot. A lot of guys think that is the best sounding PI tube in most amps. If you push your PI and output stage hard enough to make a difference, the LPS is supposed to be really nice for a new tube, in the PI slot.

If I were starting new, I’d probably try a balanced Sovtek LPS for the PI slot. A lot of guys think that is the best sounding PI tube in most amps. If you push your PI and output stage hard enough to make a difference, the LPS is supposed to be really nice for a new tube, in the PI slot.

I picked an LPS up for the PI slot in my Archon 50 but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

I picked an LPS up for the PI slot in my Archon 50 but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
Please let me know when you do. Doug of Doug's Tubes recommends that for a lot of different amps because of the way it breaks up when you push your PI.

A couple of changes I've made recently are swapping the V1 stock JJ for a Tungsol.
I was finding the amp a little dark and stuffy sounding.
The Tungsol added clarity and some needed brightness.

I also went from using my Mesa 412 w/V30s to using 2 x 112 cabs loaded with G12T75s.
The Mesa was a touch too boomy with this amp, and now I can get a more focused tight sound with the 112s.
The T75's lowend is deeper and clearer, and I can now hear and use more of the MT15's midrange without it being clouded or dominated by the V30's midrange.
The taper of the lead channel volume is also not as abrupt sounding due to the relaxed efficiency rating of the T75's.

I've read some users have been getting some rattling as well when the amp is being played loud on a 112 cabinet.
I don't get to turn mine up that loud, so haven't experienced that issue.
But I did notice my output transformer bracket was very loose. The OT itself is secured inside that bracket and there is some movement. I tightened the bracket which helped a bit.
So just FYI, maybe check yours.

A couple of changes I've made recently are swapping the V1 stock JJ for a Tungsol.
I was finding the amp a little dark and stuffy sounding.
The Tungsol added clarity and some needed brightness.

I also went from using my Mesa 412 w/V30s to using 2 x 112 cabs loaded with G12T75s.
The Mesa was a touch too boomy with this amp, and now I can get a more focused tight sound with the 112s.
The T75's lowend is deeper and clearer, and I can now hear and use more of the MT15's midrange without it being clouded or dominated by the V30's midrange.
The taper of the lead channel volume is also not as abrupt sounding due to the relaxed efficiency rating of the T75's.

I've read some users have been getting some rattling as well when the amp is being played loud on a 112 cabinet.
I don't get to turn mine up that loud, so haven't experienced that issue.
But I did notice my output transformer bracket was very loose. The OT itself is secured inside that bracket and there is some movement. I tightened the bracket which helped a bit.
So just FYI, maybe check yours.

Thanks for the report on the Tung Sol. I keep procrastinating but need to order a few new ones as I've wanted to try this as well.
Is your Mesa the "oversized" recto cab? If so, they're known to be a bit boomy.
Interesting to hear about the T75 cab. Glad it's working.

Thanks for the report on the Tung Sol. I keep procrastinating but need to order a few new ones as I've wanted to try this as well.
Is your Mesa the "oversized" recto cab? If so, they're known to be a bit boomy.
Interesting to hear about the T75 cab. Glad it's working.
Hey no problem. I also tried a Mullard at the same time in V1 but found it too tame and too smooth.

My Mesa is actually a Trad size. Great cabinet, and the MT15 sounds fine through it, but it's just a bit too boomy at lower volumes with this amp.

IMG-20181130-144723-02.jpg

The Tung Sol has become a very popular V1 Option. Tons of guys saying it's the best newer tube they've tried in V1 and this is going over the last couple years and tons of different types of amps. Just seems to be a very good V1 for many amps. (Don't put it in cathode follower positions though!)

I wonder if I took the Mt15 to a local amp guy ,if I could have the chassis put into head shell and transformers swapped to handle 50 watts
I figure it would be pretty easy to get it in the head shell and keep the preamp circuit ,just swap out transformer for something slightly bigger or it maybe even easier by just having to change screen resistors ,and upping the voltage
would love to have the extra headroom ,custom MT50
I realize that you wrote this comment over a year ago, however, Phillip McKnight(know your gear) went to the man who designed the Tremonti head and he stated that the transformer was so large and that he could modify it and within 30 minutes have close to a 50 watt amp. Do you still have the amp? Have you found it reliable? I know this is horrible of me, I passed on it simply because it's made in China...I know, I know, I need to get over it. Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have two question for you:

1) MT-15 is a Class A or A/B amp? I didn't found this information on the web, neither in the technical data on the PRS site
2) For those who have the amp, in half power set is suitable for playing at home in a condominium?

Thank you very much

Veltro

Hi Guys,

1) MT-15 is a Class A or A/B amp? I didn't found this information on the web, neither in the technical data on the PRS site
2) For those who have the amp, in half power set is suitable for playing at home in a condominium?

Thank you very much

Veltro
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much

Veltro
It is a class A amp. Also, It’s still pretty loud at half power.

Back