MT-15 with HX Effects (4cm) - can't get clean tone

ThemBones24

Hi,
I'm a newbie. I'm using an EVH Wolfgang double-humbucker guitar paired with MT-15 and HX Effects (4 cable method). My issue is I cannot get a clean tone without it sounding slightly distorted no matter which presets/effects I use. I've switched the amp to clean mode (blue light) which has had no effect. I'm starting to suspect it's something in global settings on the HX Effects. Kind of wondering if I need to bypass the HX Effects with a controller and concentrate clean tones with external pedals. I had no issues getting clean tone prior without HX Effects setup. Any advice? Thanks.

Pages 9-11, and 45

Try setting it to be in true bypass when everything off (should sound same as guitar straight into amp), and whether your guitar signal is line level or instrument level, hotter pickups at line level is like a boost engaged, its something like 6db I forget - used to have an hx effects

This guy has good info, and line6 forums are good.

Effects loops are notorious bringers of various evils. All of them operate at different levels, and level mismatches are the source of innumerable problems.

The first thing to do is isolate the problem.

Disconnect your effects loops and pedals, and go straight in to the amp. Do you have the distortion there? If not, it's somewhere else in your effects chain. I'd suspect that there's a level mismatch if that's the cause.

Professional recording gear operates at a different level from consumer gear (+4 dbu vs -10 dbV, and strangely enough even those are different measuring standards).

The guitar level is far lower.

Moreover, the input in the front of your amp has a different impedance than the effects loop in the back, owing to the different internal levels amps operate at.

These are all reasons I don't use effects loops. I hate effects loops!

Then some amps, like Dumbles, need a special box called a Dumbleator to balance out the levels. Lots of other amps could use such a box, but the makers don't produce them.

F#ck effects loops and the multiple crazy horses they ride in on!

I run all of my effects in front of the amp.

Thanks october3 and LSchefman for the replies. I have watched that guy on Youtube by the way. I was able to track down the problems. The first issue was the Mix parameter (HX Edit) in my FX Loop chain was set to 0. Bringing that up past 70% seemed solve the volume issue for controlling from amp knob. The second issue was I forgot to turn off my external overdrive pedal in front of the amp which was just stupid on my part.

Regarding the Send/Return external loop on the MT-15 I haven't been that impressed with what little I've tested thus far. Seems I've read similar comments with other owners. In my opinion, I think you really have to spend a lot of time with an amp to see what external pedal combinations, software settings and guitars work well together. I've spent a lot of time doing similar things on my Boss Katana and I'm still swapping pedals here and there. So far, I have my Katana sounding arguably better than my MT-15/HX combo but I'm sure that will change in time.

So far, I have my Katana sounding arguably better than my MT-15/HX combo but I'm sure that will change in time.

Just plug straight into the MT15, no Helix, set the gain channel with the EQ at noon, gain down a little (maybe around 10:30), and hit a nice firm power chord. That will sound miles better than the katana already. :)

Thanks october3 and LSchefman for the replies. I have watched that guy on Youtube by the way. I was able to track down the problems. The first issue was the Mix parameter (HX Edit) in my FX Loop chain was set to 0. Bringing that up past 70% seemed solve the volume issue for controlling from amp knob. The second issue was I forgot to turn off my external overdrive pedal in front of the amp which was just stupid on my part.

Regarding the Send/Return external loop on the MT-15 I haven't been that impressed with what little I've tested thus far. Seems I've read similar comments with other owners. In my opinion, I think you really have to spend a lot of time with an amp to see what external pedal combinations, software settings and guitars work well together. I've spent a lot of time doing similar things on my Boss Katana and I'm still swapping pedals here and there. So far, I have my Katana sounding arguably better than my MT-15/HX combo but I'm sure that will change in time.
I'd just like to add that (if you are not lucky at getting the "all clear" one), I agree on spending some time "getting to know" YOUR amp to understand the ins and outs and I especially agree with the job of trying to find out which effects work best with the amp and how you have your rig set up. I would also ad the job of checking the state of your mains electricity/wall power if you have weird noise/hum. But to return to effects, I had a fenomenal reverb which I returned before I "serviced" the amp and now I do not know if the pedal would have made less hiss if it were played trough the serviced amp. It is such a bummer that the pedal electronics also plays a role, I will also have to go on a jurney of searching for the right pedals. But the MT15 is now a champ.

Hey OP just wondering what the outcome was in your mt15/hx fx combo. I have the same, just got the hx effects for Christmas but I get the loud hum when using the 4cm. I've tried several approaches, i even have a hum eliminator but hum persists. Any suggestions or feedback?

Back