More Archon rambling

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did I f@cking waste my morning with your PMs and trying to help you from stepping on your d!ck? You just make me feel like a fool by not letting this go, or even trying to empathize with other people.

I’m done.
o_O How is saying that it's not fair to change the meaning of a word and then be offended when someone says it who have never even heard "your" meaning, not empathizing with others? It is "don't make it something it's not."

And I forgot the second rule of the internet: You can get bashed and shamed but trying to defend yourself or explain your side only makes it worse.

I don’t want to appear angry, because I’m not (a rarity for me). Nonetheless, right is right, and it’s easy enough to correct.

There’s nothing wrong with saying, “Sorry, I probably should have chosen a different word.”

Truth: That word has been in common use for gay men since my grandfather’s era. The slang meaning hasn’t changed. It’s pretty silly to try to make a case for that.

Webster’s Dictionary says:

“1 : a garden plant (Viola wittrockiana) derived chiefly from the hybridization of the European Johnny-jump-up (Viola tricolor) with other wild violets also : its flower. 2a disparaging + offensive : a weak or effeminate man or boy. b disparaging + offensive : a male homosexual.”

Webster’s also says the slang expression came into use around 1929.

I can understand why someone might be offended by use of a “disparaging and offensive” term.

In any case, no need to pretend that the meaning of the word is somehow new. It’s been in common use for nearly a century, and the context of the post Serg objected to was pretty clearly that use.
To claim otherwise is pretty lame.

Nonetheless, we all make mistakes. It’s simple and costs nothing to correct it.

Last edited:
Once again... one says, walk away. One says, apologize. Let it go/admit you made a mistake.

No winning here. I google searched this word in slang dictionaries, and it took 3 before I found one that mentioned “gay.” I could post the results in this thread but at this point, see no point in doing so.

I don’t like being made to look bad with rules I’ve never heard vs. I also don’t want to hang at a place where I offend people and get bashed. I called the guys who bashed PRS wimps, in my vernacular. My vernacular has been more trouble than fun recently. And that is what matters. I come here for fun, not trouble. If I can’t post without offending someone, I shouldn’t post.

I do apologize HUMBLY to anyone I’ve offended! Once again, didn’t even know that word was ever used that way.

I know this debate has dragged on too long already, but we didn’t all grow up in the same environment. Where I grew up, there weren’t any terms for homosexuals because there weren’t any. Yes, I know a friend mysteriously became homosexual the day we arrived at university - no problem. That was just the nature of the place we lived. There were pejorative terms for seemingly weak males, but there was no sexual connotation.

We also didn’t have any derogatory terms for black people. There was only one such family: a biology professor and his wife and son. They were just known by their names like everyone else.

Indians and French were another story, but no need to go there.

I’ve always tried to be careful with language, but from time to time something slips out from usage common to a place I’ve been in the past that has unpleasant connotations. I usually ask them to ‘pardon my French’ and carry on, but now that I think of it, even that may be derogatory, just to someone else who isn’t there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back