More Archon rambling

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 5962

I was on vacation last week. We were camping so I hadn't played an amp for almost 10 days. I got home Saturday night had a headache, so as badly as I wanted too, I didn't play. Last night when we got home, I went in to play for a while and I was once again just blown away by the Archon. I was playing it through the Zbest cab which has a V30 and a Warehouse ET65. That cab sounds incredible and unless I'm going for very aggressive tones, I'm preferring it over the other cabs because of the speaker combination. 2 V30s is better for very aggressive tones. For even hard rock, I prefer the V30/ET65 mix.

Since I hadn't been home for a while, I turned it up a bit louder than usual. I know I rambled about this amp for months after getting it, but after a few days away, it's clearly still the best amp I've ever heard. I've talked for 2 years about tube swapping... trying EL34Bs, swapping a few pre-amp tubes... but when the thing sounds this good, why bother?

Also, I seem to turn some knobs almost every time I play the amp. More mids and bottom one time, less the next. More treble and presence one time, less the next, etc. It's not like this thing has a sweet spot and one great tone. The gain knob is from 8:00 to 11:00 and almost never the same as the time before. And ALL of it sounds GREAT!!! I know I will eventually swap some tubes to see if it's even better, but for now, still blown away every time I turn it on!

With the range and quality of tones I get out of this amp every time I play it, I can confidently say "this is the amp I've wanted for my whole life." Just absolutely killer amp for me and what I play.

I was on vacation last week. We were camping so I hadn't played an amp for almost 10 days. I got home Saturday night had a headache, so as badly as I wanted too, I didn't play. Last night when we got home, I went in to play for a while and I was once again just blown away by the Archon. I was playing it through the Zbest cab which has a V30 and a Warehouse ET65. That cab sounds incredible and unless I'm going for very aggressive tones, I'm preferring it over the other cabs because of the speaker combination. 2 V30s is better for very aggressive tones. For even hard rock, I prefer the V30/ET65 mix.

Since I hadn't been home for a while, I turned it up a bit louder than usual. I know I rambled about this amp for months after getting it, but after a few days away, it's clearly still the best amp I've ever heard. I've talked for 2 years about tube swapping... trying EL34Bs, swapping a few pre-amp tubes... but when the thing sounds this good, why bother?

Also, I seem to turn some knobs almost every time I play the amp. More mids and bottom one time, less the next. More treble and presence one time, less the next, etc. It's not like this thing has a sweet spot and one great tone. The gain knob is from 8:00 to 11:00 and almost never the same as the time before. And ALL of it sounds GREAT!!! I know I will eventually swap some tubes to see if it's even better, but for now, still blown away every time I turn it on!

With the range and quality of tones I get out of this amp every time I play it, I can confidently say "this is the amp I've wanted for my whole life." Just absolutely killer amp for me and what I play.

Told ya so! :p

That’s what it’s all about, when you get an amp, live with it for a while, and can say to yourself, “This is my tone, this is how I want to express myself as a player.”

Nothing better.

One of these days, I know I have to get my grubby paws on an Archon. I've been using the Archon profile the most on my Kemper lately and while it's convenient and sounds great, I know that getting the real thing is definitely on my radar.

That’s what it’s all about, when you get an amp, live with it for a while, and can say to yourself, “This is my tone, this is how I want to express myself as a player.”

Nothing better.
This! Exactly! It only took a short time to realize these were the tones I'd always wanted. And it didn't take much longer to realize that turning the dials gave me more flavors, but still were the tones I'd always wanted. This is THE amp for me.

This! Exactly! It only took a short time to realize these were the tones I'd always wanted. And it didn't take much longer to realize that turning the dials gave me more flavors, but still were the tones I'd always wanted. This is THE amp for me.
Isn’t it nice finding out that heaven is real!

By the way, really glad you didn’t stay away. Cheers mate.

You're welcome!

Man, I sound like a broken record :p

I may have given him that line....:oops:
well, apparently aging jock talk is not good on the internet where some people change the meanings of words and then get offended when you use them. Who knew?

well, apparently aging jock talk is not good on the internet where some people change the meanings of words and then get offended when you use them. Who knew?
You can’t use any of the old words anymore. Or any words really. It’s smuched up capital letters and emojis. Say it with rainbows and unicorns.

I totally get it. Other amps are fun for a change of pace, etc., but it’s nice to have your base tone(s) covered.

I seem to recall Jimmy The Greek finding out the hard way. That was before the internet though. One of my former bosses found out the same way. :confused:

You can’t use any of the old words anymore. Or any words really. It’s smuched up capital letters and emojis. Say it with rainbows and unicorns.
Ain't that the truth. Who gave them the right to change the meanings and then jump us for not even knowing that they did? And then to get offended at someone using them as they've been used for over 50 years... I try to never say anything offensive, but this is getting ridiculous and I'm getting tired of apologizing for something said that's not wrong. You can't take a word that has been used for decades before you were born, decide to change the meaning of it, then get offended every time someone says it. While I will really try to be careful, and stop talking like I'm with a group of friends, it's going to happen about one more time, and then I will have had enough.

I told Sergio earlier that we used to have a few Brits in the other small forum I used to spend most of my time in and we always got a kick out of a few terms that they use quite differently than we do. But we didn't get offended and call them out over it.

And this is my thread so I can freaking derail it if I want too!

I seem to recall Jimmy The Greek finding out the hard way. That was before the internet though. One of my former bosses found out the same way. :confused:
I think this is a little different though. Don't you? It seems every word that used to mean "whimp" has now been construed to be a gay bashing word TO SOME PEOPLE! But if the perception here is that my comments are out of line, I'll happily bow out.

I googled "slang definitions" for the word I used yesterday and only opened the first 3-4 hits it got. It took 3 to find any that referenced "gay" as one of the meanings for that word. I sent the results to Sergio and Kiwi to show that apparently it's not as widely accepted to mean that as some thought. I've never heard it used that way in 50 years! But if the group is offended by it, it doesn't really matter. If you want to do something interesting, just google some words on the online "slang dictionaries." There's all kinds of words with REAL meanings, and then any other freak thing someone wants to assign to it. The ones you've heard for years, then some you haven't, then the WEIRD ones! It reminds me of High School and beyond years, in which we made up all kinds of words for pot, beer, sex... etc. so we could say them to some friends without others knowing what we were talking about. "Louie" was pot. "Have you seen Louie" meant "do you have any weed?" These days, that would all get on the internet and people on the other side of the world would be using my slang term for weed, and bashing those who hadn't heard it. Ain't that special. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Howie?!?

Why did I f@cking waste my morning with your PMs and trying to help you from stepping on your d!ck? You just make me feel like a fool by not letting this go, or even trying to empathize with other people.

I’m done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back