Moon inlays

Bobz1b

Hi. I have an se custom 24 with moon inlays and it's cool but I am looking for a used custom 24 or custom s2 guitar with moons but these seem rare and expensive. Did they only but moons on for certain years or models ?
Regards
Bob

Custom 24s were made with either moons or birds. If you keep seeking, you will find. However, since you mentioned the S2, if price is a factor, then check into a CE24. It is basically a Custom 24 with a maple bolt on neck. They all have moon inlays, and can be found significantly cheaper than the glue in neck models. I think they sound as good as the Custom 24, and personally, since I favor the tonal snappiness of a maple neck, sometimes think they sound better. I think Alex Lifeson of Rush still tours with a couple of them, even though he main plays and endorses his Gibson signature model. .........CE 24!!!!

From 1985 until around 2010 most guitars came with both moon inlays and then birds as an upcharge. Most SE guitars made form 2003 to around 2010-11 also came with moons only. The birds ended up becoming the iconic PRS "thing", and since 2010 you can't get many current models with moon inlays. I don't have time to do the research but IIRC, the DGT and the S2 Mira are about it these days (both of which have bird options). However, if you can find a PRS from their first 24 or 25 years, you can find a nice mix of both moons and birds on everything.

If you think about what it took to inlay birds vs moons in 1985 you can see why they would offer both (drilling holes vs having someone with a template and a router). But I think since CNC has become so precise and a CNC moon takes about as much effort as a CNC bird, there's no reason to offer anything but birds.

Thanks guys all good advice. I love prs but don't like or understand their infatuation with bird inlays

Thanks guys all good advice. I love prs but don't like or understand their infatuation with bird inlays

It's just a signature thing, much like Gibson and that rectangular shaped inlay of theirs. Which I am not a fan of either.

Yes fair comment it's just that they seem a bit flamboyant for me. I find the moons a bit more to my taste. I have a lot of different high end guitars but my SE custom with moons that I bought used has such a great feel so I won't part with it but I have made a bit of money selling a couple of Ibanez so I'm soo tempted to get a PRS USA but not having much luck tracking one down

Some birds inlay are less flashy as others.

Some are all mother of pearl, or like mine is more an outline with i think are very classy.

ydurGMs.jpg

Yes fair comment it's just that they seem a bit flamboyant for me. I find the moons a bit more to my taste. I have a lot of different high end guitars but my SE custom with moons that I bought used has such a great feel so I won't part with it but I have made a bit of money selling a couple of Ibanez so I'm soo tempted to get a PRS USA but not having much luck tracking one down

The birds first appeared on a guitar Paul made for Peter Frampton. Paul's mother was an avid bird watcher and some (not all) of them came from drawings in one of her guides. The headstock eagle came from an embroidered shirt Paul used to wear.

If Paul's mother was into cats or something else, who knows what the signature PRS inlays would have been.

(I'm voting for dragons.)

Last edited:
Nice guitar I may be warming to the birds and a ***** inlay would have been desirable....sorry ha. Is anyone selling anything interesting out there as in US 24 fret ?

I guess you just have to keep looking, they do them in various forms of inlays so find one that you like.

4KNfaed.jpg

Sorry about the faux pas

It's ok, Bob. You don't have to like the birds. There are plenty of people who would rather have either the moons or just plain dots.

I just thought you might like to know how they got started.

It's also one of the things I like about this forum. If you want to know something about the guitars or the amps, there is probably a member here who knows the answer.

So don't be afraid to ask!

Last edited:
It's ok, Bob. You don't have to like the birds. There are plenty of people who would rather have either the moons or just plain dots.

I just thought you might like to know how they got started.

That is interesting how that got started.

I was just watching a bunch of videos on Youtube, interview with Paul himself and he talks about his mentor Ted and all the stories he used to tell. How ES 335 came to be (its the amount of dollars it was sold for). It's funny how things originate sometimes.

I STAND CORRECTED. Its been a long time since I played a CE24, thought they had moons. My PS p24 has a maple neck and it delivers. Still love the CE24 tho. Never had the pleasure of owning one. Almost bought two on two different occasions. By the way, I LOVE the bird inlays. My now wife is bird watcher, and went shopping for a b-day present for me in '97 when she first saw a PRS. She was of course attracted to the bird inlays, but knowing that I'm a player, and a gtr MUST be more than pretty to me, she wisely consulted me before purchasing a nearly 2G surprise flop of a present. I was an Ibanez player at the time, and hadn't really given PRS a real whirl, tho I did of course know of them. So being insistent, stubborn, and also infatuated with the birds, my wife took me to the music store. Hey man, I knew I was about to get a free gtr outta the deal! I IMMEDIATELY feel in love with the 24 fret 25 inch scale of the PERFECTLY intonated PRS neck. A far cry from the Ibanez Jem, and I got small hands at 5ft 5in. So being a fixed bridge guy at heart, ( even tho I was playing a floyd ) I special ordered a Custom 24 with a stoptail, 10top, and transparent turquoise finish. Oh, and abalone birds. I since sold all my other electrics and am a PRS player for life. Plus, I met Paul at the same little music store while my gtr was being built, and was enchanted by his graciousness, and humility. Man, he oozes CLASS fro every pore. There was hardly anyone there at first, so I had a rare nearly 30 minutes to chat with him. Yes, we talked about gtrs, but I remember us speaking more about our mothers, life growing up, and early spring wildflowers. Sssoooo down to earth. It really took me by surprise. He also had that wirery long greying hair, and a childlike enthusiasm about gtrs, and more so LIFE. Then he did something so classy for a teenage kid whos drummer had luekemia! Too cool to mention without more words. Very, very, cool. He also kinda reminded me of Willy Wonka!!! Hence, why I often refer to him as Paul Wonka Smith.......lol. I was, and am a proud PRS customer for life, and none of that would have happened if it wasn't for those elegant bird inlays, a loving wife who believes on me, and a really cool grown up kid who makes the best production gtrs on the planet. I vote birds man.

Thanks I love the hunt for nice guitars it's a passion. I recently sold an ibanez DNA and 10 th. And have bought two vigier s. But my knock about guitar ( that I'm not afraid of dinging even though I protect it and respect it) is moon SE custom 24 which I adore. I've got 2k burning a hole in my pocket and want the real USA deal but I'm a bit lost with the various incantations, pups etc but I want classic rock / blues and sweet sustain options. Thanks for the replies and please keep the advice coming regards bob

Thanks I love the hunt for nice guitars it's a passion. I recently sold an ibanez DNA and 10 th. And have bought two vigier s. But my knock about guitar ( that I'm not afraid of dinging even though I protect it and respect it) is moon SE custom 24 which I adore. I've got 2k burning a hole in my pocket and want the real USA deal but I'm a bit lost with the various incantations, pups etc but I want classic rock / blues and sweet sustain options. Thanks for the replies and please keep the advice coming regards bob

Look out something with a 57/08 pick ups. I think you could start with a CU22/24 and of course the SC245 which is a CLASSIC rock guitar.

No one here had mentioned it yet, but I think the DGTs still come with moon inlays, with birds available as an option. You can try looking around for a used one, they're pretty sweet guitars and lots of people swear by the DGT pickups. For used guitars, there's also the more affordable Core line Mira that came with moon inlays. Other than that, you have the S2 range to consider if you don't want to drop 2-3k but wanted to buy new, and they have dot inlays. To me, the Mira screams classic rock/blues, kinda like an SG and a bit more. But that's strictly just my opinion, you need to go try it out first before deciding on anything!

I, for one, love the birds inlays a lot, and I understand why some dislike the bird inlays. But I wonder why they don't offer dot inlays on the S2 Custom? It's supposed to be a "stripped-down" model, so why not the dot inlays just like on the original "stripped-down" CEs and make the birds an option? Or better yet, change the plain cream dots to moons! That'd be really cool...

I happen to have an SE Custom 24 with the moon inlays as well and I really like the special, older PRS vibe that it gives, but I've always yearned for a bird-inlaid PRS too, just because they look pretty to me.

:beer: Have fun hunting!

edit: Speaking of sweet sustain, you can try to look for the older Singlecuts or McCartys, they do come with moon inlays.

Last edited:
Some S2 models have dots, not moons, and with the S2 Customs you're still stuck with birds. I don't like bird inlays (except the Private Stock eagle) for several reasons, but they're the overwhelming favorite which is why they became the standard.

I prefer moons and non-10 tops, which are tough to come by on the used market. Seems like in most cases if it has moons, it still has a 10 top. As mentioned earlier, definitely consider the CE. They deliver rockin' tone with a more "workin' man" aesthetic. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep an eye on eBay and the other usual suspects until a "plain jane" Custom or McCarty comes along.

Greetings, new guy to this forum. For my first post, I'll offer my cu24 gold top with moons is you're still looking for one.
Pwn57ar - Geoff in Alaska

Back