Modern Eagle V pickups, what do they sound like?

ViggoP

Yeah I know, I’ve watched all the youtube clips but still, it would be interesting to hear more about them from people who actually own one or have played one. Do they sound any good? Do they sound similar to any other pickup you’ve played? Do you prefer the hum or single sounds? How do they handle gain, has anybody tried them with a high gain rig? What’s the verdict?

Nice playing and it sounds really good too! How would you compare them to other pickups?
Thanks! The electronics on the ME V are some of the best I've ever heard on a guitar, the pickups are just a part of it. It's a crazy versatile guitar. FWIW, I've owned 513's, 305's and multiple SAS's and none of them sound this refined and musical to my ears.

Here's another song from Markd21

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/first-tune-recorded-with-me-v.45650/

And here's his NGD write up.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-eagle-has-landed-now-with-photos.44590/

I also have one and it is definitely the most versatile guitar I have ever owned.

Cool! I get that it is super versatile but I would love to hear more about your impressions of the pickups. Are the split sounds comparable to ”real” single coils? How would you describe the humbucker sounds? How do they handle gain? Do they remind you of, or sound similar to, any other pickup you’ve played? Are they PAF-like? More modern sounding? Similar to a mini humbucker? High or low output? Things like that. I’m very curious of your thoughts about your thoughts about them.

Cool! I get that it is super versatile but I would love to hear more about your impressions of the pickups. Are the split sounds comparable to ”real” single coils? How would you describe the humbucker sounds? How do they handle gain? Do they remind you of, or sound similar to, any other pickup you’ve played? Are they PAF-like? More modern sounding? Similar to a mini humbucker? High or low output? Things like that. I’m very curious of your thoughts about your thoughts about them.
You cannot describe the pickups in isolation on this guitar, there are way too many electronic elements involved. You have to look at the complete package.

Overall, the guitar sounds to my ears are not at all vintage Gibson or Fender like, but more modern. Smoother & sweeter, with no hint of shrillness. The guitar handles both low and high gain amps well and the recording I posted should show you what the split tones and high gain tones are capable of.

Last edited:
Man, I'm just a basement hack. They're great for what I do. The 250k switch is subtle and I think the splits on these are the best single coil tones PRS has gotten. I play classic and 80s style rock. They're great for that.

If you read Mark's write up on page 2 of the thread I posted earlier, he's got some great input on them. Maybe @markd21 can add more.

Man, I'm just a basement hack. They're great for what I do. The 250k switch is subtle and I think the splits on these are the best single coil tones PRS has gotten. I play classic and 80s style rock. They're great for that.

If you read Mark's write up on page 2 of the thread I posted earlier, he's got some great input on them. Maybe @markd21 can add more.

I regret to inform you that this thread and any thread that mentions the Modern Eagle V in a positive light has been officially canceled, I repeat, canceled. Please cease and desist posting positive about Modern Eagle Vs. I don't need one. I really don't. So stop it. I'm not kidding. You will be put on double secret probation.

I regret to inform you that this thread and any thread that mentions the Modern Eagle V in a positive light has been officially canceled, I repeat, canceled. Please cease and desist posting positive about Modern Eagle Vs. I don't need one. I really don't. So stop it. I'm not kidding. You will be put on double secret probation.
You know what this will get you......a bunch of pictures and a gentle nudge in the back! :p

Toga, toga, toga!

You know what this will get you......a bunch of pictures and a gentle nudge in the back! :p
If you want to grab a great version of the ME V, and have some patience, go to the Dealers section on this forum - a couple of dealers have posted interesting WL variants. Like one with a RW neck, which was very important to me.

Last edited:
Back