Modern Eagle I Questions

As the president of the ME1 club, and a forum veteran, you would know this better than most - I’ve heard over the years that there’s something special about the older Brazilian Rosewood necks on the ME1’s. Do you agree, or do you reckon it’s normal to what has been available since?

I figured its just the effect of time opening the wood, especially since a lot of models were stored at PRS until 2012.

I currently have 9 of the original run. I’ve had several of the ‘07s and thought the necks were excellent. BTW, the pickups in the later run were a huge improvement over the RPs (IMO).

Lost in a fire? So sorry... that’s terrible.

In my opinion.... they are worth it, so grab one if you can. Mine is a 2012 NOS... I bought it to replace my 07 that I regretfully sold. This one is going nowhere. It’s THAT good!

IMG_4818.jpg

My apologies if I’m quoting and/or using the forums tools incorrectly. I’m an older guy on my iPhone, new to the forum, but am greatly appreciative for all your help!

No worries! As online sins go, that one barely registers.

As the president of the ME1 club, and a forum veteran, you would know this better than most - I’ve heard over the years that there’s something special about the older Brazilian Rosewood necks on the ME1’s. Do you agree, or do you reckon it’s normal to what has been available since?

I figured its just the effect of time opening the wood, especially since a lot of models were stored at PRS until 2012.

The original ME1 woods were specifically selected for tonal qualities, there were times the appearance of the woods got some forum dwellers in a snit. The words "inferior wood" got thrown around more than a little. There were tempests in a teapot about tops that had sapwood down the center and took the stain differently there, rosewood that was too light, too stripey, headstock ears that didn't quite match the color of the neck and on and on. My ME1 has a chocolate-milk colored neck, and a very wavy grain in the fingerboard. So maybe it's "inferior" but it sure sounds and feels flippin' great!

I think the ME1s had the iconic tonewood combination and that later ME models followed the template but had different intents. Brazilian rosewood was the "best" neck wood on offer at the time, and to be honest I didn't even notice that later Modern Eagle models had largely Indian rosewood necks until this thread started. To me the 2012-era ME1s with the old wood, date-series pickups, and updated parts are the best of all worlds, ME-wise.

Huh. It seems like my pictures of this guitar are very old...

me-body-angle.jpg

me-neck-birds.jpg

Every time I get close to selling my (only) ME I, I back away. My local buddy is waiting to get some funds out of a certain Asian country.....Suggests he might then try to tempt me with a cash offer for 3 or 4 "high end" guitars, inc the ME 1. I guess we will see......

Lost in a fire? So sorry... that’s terrible.

In my opinion.... they are worth it, so grab one if you can. Mine is a 2012 NOS... I bought it to replace my 07 that I regretfully sold. This one is going nowhere. It’s THAT good!

IMG_4818.jpg
Lost in a fire was easier for me than “burned while on vacation” - now I leave my guitars and amps with family or friends. Huge lesson learned.

Thanks for the heads up! I’m really looking forward to it.

The original ME1 woods were specifically selected for tonal qualities, there were times the appearance of the woods got some forum dwellers in a snit. The words "inferior wood" got thrown around more than a little. There were tempests in a teapot about tops that had sapwood down the center and took the stain differently there, rosewood that was too light, too stripey, headstock ears that didn't quite match the color of the neck and on and on. My ME1 has a chocolate-milk colored neck, and a very wavy grain in the fingerboard. So maybe it's "inferior" but it sure sounds and feels flippin' great!

I think the ME1s had the iconic tonewood combination and that later ME models followed the template but had different intents. Brazilian rosewood was the "best" neck wood on offer at the time, and to be honest I didn't even notice that later Modern Eagle models had largely Indian rosewood necks until this thread started. To me the 2012-era ME1s with the old wood, date-series pickups, and updated parts are the best of all worlds, ME-wise.

Huh. It seems like my pictures of this guitar are very old...

me-body-angle.jpg

me-neck-birds.jpg
That helps very much! Thank you for all the information!

It confirms why I have heard from collectors/owners that there’s something very special about the wood selection, especially the rosewood necks on ME1’s.

Your ME looks great! I like that rosewood coloring, especially with the birds. It gives the feeling of birds in flight.

It seems like ME1’s are as good as it gets and would complement modern offerings nicely. Especially since current Paul’s guitar model aren’t full size humbuckers, but have the stoptail like the the ME1, which I personally prefer.

Im eager to see how TCI pickups would sound in a ME1. Hopefully they’ll offer them soon on the PRS accessories page.

Does anyone have any info on this guitar in particular? I always wanted one, but have never bought a guitar from overseas before. I heard these were also very special lifetime guitars worth getting if/when possible, like a ME1.

I thought these would go for at least $5-6k like the ME1, given a more limited nature and it being #2 of 12. Maybe too good to be true, hence on Reverb? Thank you, everyone!

If its inappropriate to post this links here, please let me know and I'll remove it promptly.

https://reverb.com/item/31128781-pr...rary-2-12-dirty-dozen-tiger-eye-rosewood-2010

Every time I get close to selling my (only) ME I, I back away. My local buddy is waiting to get some funds out of a certain Asian country.....Suggests he might then try to tempt me with a cash offer for 3 or 4 "high end" guitars, inc the ME 1. I guess we will see......

Good think you backed away. Going with gut instincts is always safe, hence you still have the ME!

Does anyone have any info on this guitar in particular? I always wanted one, but have never bought a guitar from overseas before. I heard these were also very special lifetime guitars worth getting if/when possible, like a ME1.

I thought these would go for at least $5-6k like the ME1, given a more limited nature and it being #2 of 12. Maybe too good to be true, hence on Reverb? Thank you, everyone!

If its inappropriate to post this links here, please let me know and I'll remove it promptly.

https://reverb.com/item/31128781-pr...rary-2-12-dirty-dozen-tiger-eye-rosewood-2010
Looks like a dealer spec Wood Library run. There have been many WL runs over the years and while this has a nice top and matching headstock, a Custom 22 with a mahogany wide thin neck isn’t too special - YMMV. Don’t get me wrong- it’s a beautiful guitar but I vastly prefer RW necks and fatter neck carves.

Back