Modern Eagle I Questions

Every time I get close to selling my (only) ME I, I back away. My local buddy is waiting to get some funds out of a certain Asian country.....Suggests he might then try to tempt me with a cash offer for 3 or 4 "high end" guitars, inc the ME 1. I guess we will see......
Send him my way - I still have 3 fiddles to sell!

Lost in a fire? So sorry... that’s terrible.

In my opinion.... they are worth it, so grab one if you can. Mine is a 2012 NOS... I bought it to replace my 07 that I regretfully sold. This one is going nowhere. It’s THAT good!

IMG_4818.jpg

That is spectacular! I'm sure it plays just as good as it looks and was meant for you!

I currently have 9 of the original run. I’ve had several of the ‘07s and thought the necks were excellent. BTW, the pickups in the later run were a huge improvement over the RPs (IMO).

Smart choice to hold onto them. I assume the wood grade/selection from the earlier (2007) and later (2012) runs are the same? Having 9 at the moment, I can't imagine anyone would know better than you. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Looks like a dealer spec Wood Library run. There have been many WL runs over the years and while this has a nice top and matching headstock, a Custom 22 with a mahogany wide thin neck isn’t too special - YMMV. Don’t get me wrong- it’s a beautiful guitar but I vastly prefer RW necks and fatter neck carves.

Thank you so very much for that, Sir. I very appreciate the help! I had feeling something was off as its on reverb for a price lower than an ME1. I prefer the RW necks myself as well. In combination with the stoptail bridge, that became my standard after owning an ME1.

I’m wondering what you gents recommend as I heard the Brazilian Rosewood and other woods from back then might be equivalent to current private stock right now...

If you're after dark, old-growth, BRW, my opinion is... skip the ME1 and find one of the 250 'Brazilian Rosewood McCarty' models and upgrade the stock pickups to 57/08's. Also consider one of the Brazilian Rosewood Limited McCarty models with East Indian RW neck and BRW fretboard.

If you must have an ME1, consider the SCT variant before you pull the trigger on the more common double-cut.

Does anyone have any info on this guitar in particular? I always wanted one, but have never bought a guitar from overseas before. I heard these were also very special lifetime guitars worth getting if/when possible, like a ME1.
https://reverb.com/item/31128781-pr...rary-2-12-dirty-dozen-tiger-eye-rosewood-2010
Although it looks similar to a ME1 in tiger eye finish, this CU22 has many different ingrediants compared to ME1, like:
- sapwood quilt maple top VS ME1's heartwood maple top
- CU mahogany back thickness VS ME 1/8" increased thickness
- hard gloss finish VS thin satin nitro finish
- Indian RW thin neck VS BRW RW fat neck
- gold plated VS gold anodized hardware
- low VS high increment in future value

To me, this CU22 is uncomparable to ME1. It's a good guitar, but sit in a different league. Keep looking for the real one if you have such budget.
I don't own ME1 as ME1's used prices are so insane so I got an MEQ instead. Superb PRS Artist grade quality in a reasonable price IMHO.

Sorry for the fire though. Life must go on!

WylJ5fl.jpg

Smart choice to hold onto them. I assume the wood grade/selection from the earlier (2007) and later (2012) runs are the same? Having 9 at the moment, I can't imagine anyone would know better than you. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

The ME1's that were released in 2012 were 2007-ish guitars that PRS stopped building and stored away when the federal government was cracking down on transport of Brazilian rosewood due to its status as an endangered species. After that cleared up, PRS finished building those guitars and shipped them. Depending on how complete they were when production was halted, they may have gotten old or new parts installed.

I received a phone call this morning from the seller saying he’s going to hold onto his ME1 as it’s the only one he has and knows he’ll never find one in that condition again.

After all the positive feedback here on the ME1, I’m searching for another. There’s one on eBay in charcoal (not my favorite color for PRS but it’ll do). The price is little high, with offers indicating its firm, but looks truly NOS from 2012. Hoping a forum member is the seller, knows them or this guitar in particular. With something of this price and on eBay, I want to be smart and prefer personal referrals or feedback rather than eBay feedback. Worse case scenario I’ll pay a little extra and go Private stock if you all advise. Thank you all very much.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223484721365

Last edited:
The ME1's that were released in 2012 were 2007-ish guitars that PRS stopped building and stored away when the federal government was cracking down on transport of Brazilian rosewood due to its status as an endangered species. After that cleared up, PRS finished building those guitars and shipped them. Depending on how complete they were when production was halted, they may have gotten old or new parts installed.
Thanks for this! Very much looking forward to having one again.

Of course you do. :p

i-CWxWxmw-L.jpg

I’d like to point out that I’ve never been to med school, dental school, or law school. I’m just a voluntary servant serving my fellow man, and none of the currency in this photo ever belonged to me. I was merely a fiduciary of said funds.

Last edited:
I received a phone call this morning from the seller saying he’s going to hold onto his ME1 as it’s the only one he has and knows he’ll never find one in that condition again.

After all the positive feedback here on the ME1, I’m searching for another. There’s one on eBay in charcoal (not my favorite color for PRS but it’ll do). The price is little high, with offers indicating its firm, but looks truly NOS from 2012. Hoping a forum member is the seller, knows them or this guitar in particular. With something of this price and on eBay, I want to be smart and prefer personal referrals or feedback rather than eBay feedback. Worse case scenario I’ll pay a little extra and go Private stock if you all advise. Thank you all very much.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223484721365
Welcome to this forum MBM54. I know the seller. He does not play guitar AT ALL so it's probably as he says, stored away, nos unplayed. I don't think he's on here however not sure. He will most certainly honor the bargain you strike with him so feel confident there is no possible rip-off involved. Good luck if you proceed. Tell him I said hi.

Welcome to this forum MBM54. I know the seller. He does not play guitar AT ALL so it's probably as he says, stored away, nos unplayed. I don't think he's on here however not sure. He will most certainly honor the bargain you strike with him so feel confident there is no possible rip-off involved. Good luck if you proceed. Tell him I said hi.

Thanks! Planning this as and possibly another guitar from a fellow forum member as backups if the original seller won’t accept my increased offer. I may just have to let him have an amp I love, but he wants enough to contemplate a trade, plus cash and I promise to sell him the ME1 if I part with it.

Perfection!

Lost in a fire? So sorry... that’s terrible.

In my opinion.... they are worth it, so grab one if you can. Mine is a 2012 NOS... I bought it to replace my 07 that I regretfully sold. This one is going nowhere. It’s THAT good!

IMG_4818.jpg

My first ME1 was a FBJ stoptail. I LOVED that guitar, but hated the RP pickups. Perhaps hate is a strong word, but 57/08s REALLY made it something special. However, over the years, the Faded Blue Jean faded a bit too much for my taste. It sort of turned a weird light-greenish, natural. Instead of having it refinished, I sold it to finance my Private Stock. I ended up replacing it with the last original-spec, Emerald ME1 produced. I still didn’t like the RPs, so I swapped in a set of zebra Dragon 1s. It’s ungodly good. When PRSh visited the Cincinnati GC a few years ago, QueenCityGuitars gave it a spin through something like a 5150. If you guys don’t know him, Bryan is a MONSTER guitar player. He literally had guys line up and ask him to play stuff. Grab one if you can. The Modern Eagles are only a pickup swap away from perfection.

EIJdEZC.jpg

HWmuJBA.jpg

Last edited:
Back