Modern Eagle I Questions

MBM54

Hi everyone,

I lost a modern eagle I in a fire a few years ago and am looking to get another or something of equivalent specs via Private stock now.. until I was told the current lead times. I’m wondering what you gents recommend as I heard the Brazilian Rosewood and other woods from back then might be equivalent to current private stock right now, thus a mint ME1 might be better than waiting and paying for a new private stock.

It seems best to get one that was finished in 2012, rather than 2004-2007. Any information and suggestions you all may have is greatly appreciated! Also, what do you all reckon a fair price is for those mint or NOS these days? I remember them going up and down quite a bit fluctuating from $5000 to close to $7000 over the years. Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about the fire loss!

My limited knowledge is that the 2012 NOS ME I changed the pickups from RPs to 57/08s. Might have some other differences regarding the tuners.

A mint or so ME I should be much cheaper than ordering a PS. I see most sell between 4500-6000 depending on condition, pickups and whether dealer or private sale.

I have a full Brazilian neck on my PS from 2018 as well as a SCT ME I I bought used from forum member 11Top. I would say the necks are very similar in terms of feel and tonal impact. Caveat is my PS is a P245 Trem with a thicker Pattern Vintage neck carve, while my SCT ME I is the original Wide Fat neck carve at 25” scale length (and 59/09 pickups which are killer for it!).

38_C3_A97_D-8_F60-4_CE4-83_DD-6_CD00665743_B.jpg

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

QUOTE="WA Paul, post: 537954, member: 16132"]Sorry to hear about the fire loss!

My limited knowledge is that the 2012 NOS ME I changed the pickups from RPs to 57/08s. Might have some other differences regarding the tuners.

A mint or so ME I should be much cheaper than ordering a PS. I see most sell between 4500-6000 depending on condition, pickups and whether dealer or private sale.

I have a full Brazilian neck on my PS from 2018 as well as a SCT ME I I bought used from forum member 11Top. I would say the necks are very similar in terms of feel and tonal impact. Caveat is my PS is a P245 Trem with a thicker Pattern Vintage neck carve, while my SCT ME I is the original Wide Fat neck carve at 25” scale length (and 59/09 pickups which are killer for it!).

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply and the info! I very much appreciate it!

The top in the second photo is spectacular and the color perfectly suits that top! That guitar not only is, but looks like a desert island guitar! The pickup rings and knobs add another level of contrast and overall cohesiveness. Truly perfect!

Last edited:

Would you happen to know if the ME I production team was standard/core of or if it was Private stock team? I see in recent years modern eagles are Private Stock offerings, but am unsure regarding the 2012 and prior ME I. Thanks!

QUOTE="WA Paul, post: 537954, member: 16132"]Sorry to hear about the fire loss!

The top in the second photo is spectacular and the color perfectly suits that top! That guitar not only is, but looks like a desert island guitar! The pickup rings and knobs add another level of contrast and overall cohesiveness. Truly perfect![/QUOTE]
Thank you - I love blue quilt and the color is called Ocean Mist Glow (OMG) :)

I prefer to call it Hapuna Glow, after my favorite beach on the Big Island of Hawaii
9-AF75-FAE-1-DE9-4-C31-AC14-837-C56-C18-CBB.jpg

All the wood accents are Braz as well.

Would you happen to know if the ME I production team was standard/core of or if it was Private stock team? I see in recent years modern eagles are Private Stock offerings, but am unsure regarding the 2012 and prior ME I. Thanks!
I believe ME line was always built by the Core team until the current ME V run which is a limited series. EDIT - the ME V is built by the PS team.

Looks like mint condition ME1s in the US are running in the $5K-$6K range on reverb.com right now. Up through the Quattro, the MEs were core models, though expensive at the time and I think limited by availability of the wood. I think the ME V is the first private stock version.

The top in the second photo is spectacular and the color perfectly suits that top! That guitar not only is, but looks like a desert island guitar! The pickup rings and knobs add another level of contrast and overall cohesiveness. Truly perfect!

I prefer to call it Hapuna Glow, after my favorite beach on the Big Island of Hawaii

All the wood accents are Braz as well.[/QUOTE]

That photo just took the guitar to another level! Can you please post or direct me to a previous posting of yours with a front shot of the body? I have to save those photos... and look at them frequently! :D

I believe ME line was always built by the Core team until the current ME V run which is a limited series. EDIT - the ME V is built by the PS team.
Looks like mint condition ME1s in the US are running in the $5K-$6K range on reverb.com right now. Up through the Quattro, the MEs were core models, though expensive at the time and I think limited by availability of the wood. I think the ME V is the first private stock version.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. You confirmed what I thought, especially given the price difference. I wondered about this for the ME’s, dirty dozen and dirty 100 limited runs.

My apologies if I’m quoting and/or using the forums tools incorrectly. I’m an older guy on my iPhone, new to the forum, but am greatly appreciative for all your help!

All the wood accents are Braz as well.

That photo just took the guitar to another level! Can you please post or direct me to a previous posting of yours with a front shot of the body? I have to save those photos... and look at them frequently! :D[/QUOTE]
Happy to help :)

Thread when I first got my PS

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/my-ps-build-arrived.32600/

Different light (crappy phone pic) with my custom order Nik Huber SCT, also full Braz neck and trem.

56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

I really need to get a new camera - these guitars look much better IRL :)

That photo just took the guitar to another level! Can you please post or direct me to a previous posting of yours with a front shot of the body? I have to save those photos... and look at them frequently! :D

Different light (crappy phone pic) with my custom order Nik Huber SCT, also full Braz neck and trem.

I really need to get a new camera - these guitars look much better IRL :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! It looks like a completely different color in different lighting... 2 for the price of 1!

I really need to get a new camera - these guitars look much better IRL :)

Thanks for the link! It looks like a completely different color in different lighting... 2 for the price of 1![/QUOTE]
Thanks! The Glow finishes are fantastic. The quilt on mine is very 3D, really does look like tropical water which was my intent. My local dealer and Tina and Paul Miles did a great job picking out the woods for me - I wasn’t able to go in person.

All the wood accents are Braz as well.[/QUOTE]
How about Desert Atoll? :D
t7mU9wT.jpg

As self-appointed president of the ME-1 club, I highly recommend acquiring another one for a long life filled with happiness.

Coming from you, Sir, I’ll do just that! Thank you for the last push on getting another! Luckily it’s a friend of a friends’ guitar so I can play it for a weekend before I purchase it.

As self-appointed president of the ME-1 club, I highly recommend acquiring another one for a long life filled with happiness.

As the president of the ME1 club, and a forum veteran, you would know this better than most - I’ve heard over the years that there’s something special about the older Brazilian Rosewood necks on the ME1’s. Do you agree, or do you reckon it’s normal to what has been available since?

I figured its just the effect of time opening the wood, especially since a lot of models were stored at PRS until 2012.

Last edited:
Don't have an ME I, but can confirm that the Brazilian neck on my 2005 513 feels great and the build quality is superb.
Now if I could only respray it satin faded blue jean....

Back