Mesa/Boogie joins Gibson

I’ve heard a couple with the new bracing and it seemed better in every way. Higher notes definitely right out and sustain better. Projection was great. Guy I work with got a Koa 12 string with it and that thing sounds glorious!
I love my Taylors, and I can't find fault in Powers' moves so far. I own a 716ce (non V-Class) that is from the Powers re-voicing of that series (which in that case mainly consisted of switching from Sitka to Lutz Spruce for the top) and I love it to pieces, definitely my nicest acoustic.

As for the V-Class bracing, last year while at my favorite shop I got to spend some time with a 714ce LTD with a Sinker Redwood top and V-Class bracing and I was highly impressed. It was very lively and super resonant for a orchestra-bodied acoustic.

The Taylor comments bring an interesting thought to mind. I should preface this by saying I have not played a V-Braced Taylor, and have no pro/con opinion to offer. Not too long ago, I owned a Taylor 916CE that was made the final year before it got “improved” by the new bracing and such. As I had a Martin HD28 that sounded better (though does not play as well), I decided to sell it. A buyer contacted me with many questions amounting to “does it not have any of the new options.” He said he tried the new ones, hated them, and he wanted to find a “good” one while he still could. Once assured it was a Bob T original design, he snapped it up. He contacted me when it arrived, and he was elated with the guitar.

I expect that, even if the first Gibba-Boogie is the best sounding amplifier ever constructed, it will get horrible reviews and much bad press (especially in the cesspool that is social media these days) regardless. Gibson has no one but themselves to look to for their reputation, good or bad, and the overwhelming commentary has been negative. But even if a respected amp maker like Morgan, Friedman, or even PRS took them over, it’s going to be different. And that doesn’t go over well in the music biz, at least initially. Fender/CBS, Gibson/Norlin, Vox/many-others-not-called-JMI are all examples of classic companies whose quality and reputation was diminished, both real and imagined, following the corporate sellout. Like it was with Jennings/Denney at Vox, I don’t expect Smith to remain at MB for long following this sale.

This sledding is going to be all uphill for Gibson and Boogie, both. I hope everything I expect from this merger is absolutely wrong.

I’ve heard a couple with the new bracing and it seemed better in every way. Higher notes definitely right out and sustain better. Projection was great. Guy I work with got a Koa 12 string with it and that thing sounds glorious!

Yes the 12 strings are the bomb. The 12 string KOA guitar has not been made in two years so it was not V braced. Three years if you wait to Summer 2021. Maybe they will be revealed any day now with the new year, which would make it almost 3 years. They suspended them as X braced guitars and have not issued a full size 12 string in V brace to this date. Yes there re a couple of hog and maple v braced concert 12 strings and they sound great. I was orderiing a BTO ( Custom shop) 12 string right at the time they were going to suspend them. They cited "delays with development of the new v braced 12 string guitars) this was long before covid. They ultimately cancelled the entire BTO program for a while to remove X bracing entirely from the whole lineup. Through mutual conversations with my dealer, Taylor and my curiousity they have offered to build my 12 string X brace because they did not know when the x braced would be available. I declined based on a few concerns. They have now built a few other x braced guitars in the new BTO program, which now has the x brace back in the lineup. There is a lot more to the story, but i do not want to go there further. Love Taylor guitars, especially the ones I have. Back on the point of company heirship and their futures, is what I was eluding to. Taylor is not the same with Andy on board. Good or bad, I'm just saying something is amiss It is not solely guitar bracing, and it started when Andy got the keys to the toy box and part ownership.

Last edited:
The Taylor comments bring an interesting thought to mind. I should preface this by saying I have not played a V-Braced Taylor, and have no pro/con opinion to offer. Not too long ago, I owned a Taylor 916CE that was made the final year before it got “improved” by the new bracing and such. As I had a Martin HD28 that sounded better (though does not play as well), I decided to sell it. A buyer contacted me with many questions amounting to “does it not have any of the new options.” He said he tried the new ones, hated them, and he wanted to find a “good” one while he still could. Once assured it was a Bob T original design, he snapped it up. He contacted me when it arrived, and he was elated with the guitar.

I expect that, even if the first Gibba-Boogie is the best sounding amplifier ever constructed, it will get horrible reviews and much bad press (especially in the cesspool that is social media these days) regardless. Gibson has no one but themselves to look to for their reputation, good or bad, and the overwhelming commentary has been negative. But even if a respected amp maker like Morgan, Friedman, or even PRS took them over, it’s going to be different. And that doesn’t go over well in the music biz, at least initially. Fender/CBS, Gibson/Norlin, Vox/many-others-not-called-JMI are all examples of classic companies whose quality and reputation was diminished, both real and imagined, following the corporate sellout. Like it was with Jennings/Denney at Vox, I don’t expect Smith to remain at MB for long following this sale.

This sledding is going to be all uphill for Gibson and Boogie, both. I hope everything I expect from this merger is absolutely wrong.
This. Guitarists do tend to be a conservative lot. It took Taylor forever to get people used to the idea of Bolt-On necked acoustics (nevermind that they were far from the first to do it... even Martin experimented with it in ages past.) Innovations take time... and sometimes just show up at the wrong time (paging Ken Parker...)

But getting back to Gibson... that reputation of theirs will NOT help. And they have no one to blame but themselves. When they showed up at Winter NAMM a couple of years ago post Henry J. with the more sensible lineup, I really felt optimistic about them. Then that Agnessi video and 'Play Authentic' and the incredibly foolish lawsuits happened and I couldn't help but wonder if everyone in Nashville had completely taken leave of their senses.

They need to leave the Mesa free to do their thing, and not meddle. Let then make great amps. And they can focus on just making good guitars again. Improve the QC (PLEASE.) Drop all the gimmicks and stupid case candy... don't charge me more and tell me it's worth it because it comes with a replica of Slash's leather jacket and a bottle of Maple Syrup. And forget all this 'Lifestyle Brand' crap.

So all my pithiness aside, I do hope this works out, really. More healthy companies making great guitars and amps can only be great for US.

I hope that it’s more of a distribution deal than a conversion of Boogie to The Gibson Way.

but I think my pre-Gibson Mark IIC+ just went up in value ;)
I hope it's something like that too... FWIW I watched Trogly's YouTube video where he chatted a bit about this, and he's pretty well dialed into Gibson affairs, and he said he heard they were trying to re-start the Gibson amplifier brand (I hope they mean those old-school trapezoidal ones and not the LAB series!) And if Mesa's people are going to help with that, fine, but Mesa itself needs to be MESA.

The 12 string KOA guitar has not been made in two years so it was not V braced.

I was there when he bought it. It was some special addition of some kind. He played it at a Road Show and I knew by the look on his face after two chords that he was going to buy it. It's definitely v braced. I haven't seen it since he bought it... maybe I should make sure it's Koa. We played a bunch that night.

Ok, my bad. The one he bought wasn't the koa one. I knew the two he gravitated to were the special one he bought and the koa one. He went back the next day and got it so I haven't seen it since he bought it. It actually has a mahogany top. I knew it was dark...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it’s not just guitar players getting the buy-out blues... bassists are joining the bad news train. Korg just acquired Aguilar bass amps. The small companies are disappearing in the new normal.

But getting back to Gibson... And they can focus on just making good guitars again.

I can't really speak to Gibson's "core" guitars, but I do hear the stories. However, I own a number of Custom Shop reissues going back to 1998, and the best Historics are those made beginning 2013 to date. I have not played a single mediocre, let alone bad one, since that date. Nobody makes a better guitar than PRS from top to bottom, but Gibson's Custom shop guitars are fine instruments.

I can't really speak to Gibson's "core" guitars, but I do hear the stories. However, I own a number of Custom Shop reissues going back to 1998, and the best Historics are those made beginning 2013 to date. I have not played a single mediocre, let alone bad one, since that date. Nobody makes a better guitar than PRS from top to bottom, but Gibson's Custom shop guitars are fine instruments.
I would agree with that 100%. The custom shop has always maintained high standards, even when the standard Gibson USA production has been hit and miss. The custom shop reissues and signatures are amazing. And also the Acoustics out of the Bozeman, Montana plant are of very high quality (even if their necks never seem to agree with me-but that's all about me and not their craftsmanship.)

There's very little that I'd disagree with here, though I'll offer some counterpoint: Yamaha's acquisition of Line 6 seems not to have tainted them. Also Fender picked up Charvel and Jackson and those seem to be doing OK (can't remember how things turned out with Gretsch).

There's very little that I'd disagree with here, though I'll offer some counterpoint: Yamaha's acquisition of Line 6 seems not to have tainted them. Also Fender picked up Charvel and Jackson and those seem to be doing OK (can't remember how things turned out with Gretsch).
I think the Grestch situation is kinda complex? It seems like fender makes and sells the guitars, but the Grestch family technically still 'owns' the company on some level. But they seem to be doing well... their Electromatic line seems to get lots of raves lately as being great instruments for the money. Next time I'm in a shop I mean to try one out... I've never owned a big semi-hollow like that, but I've always loved the vibe. I could pretend I'm Brian Setzer... if Brian Setzer were a terrible player. :p

And yeah, FMIC has done a good job managing Charvel and Jackson. They seem to recognize the segments those brands appeal to and market accordingly. I actually used to own a super cheap jackson 7 string that I bought on a lark- it was a pretty good guitar for $200 bucks. I only sold it because I never got a handle on the whole 7 string thing. But thinking about those brands is interesting considering Gibson keeps saying they're determined to give Kramer a big-deal relaunch...

...considering Gibson keeps saying they're determined to give Kramer a big-deal relaunch...

Huh! Well that's an... interesting judgement call, considering the ignoble death that Kramer died the first time around. Guess they're hoping customers remember Kramer's heyday rather than its implosion.

Huh! Well that's an... interesting judgement call, considering the ignoble death that Kramer died the first time around. Guess they're hoping customers remember Kramer's heyday rather than its implosion.
Very true. If nothing else, the relaunch amuses me because they're not shying away from the style of guitar Kramer was known for. I mean, I would never pay money for a Kramer Jersey Star... but knowing that ridiculous thing exists makes me smile.

Very true. If nothing else, the relaunch amuses me because they're not shying away from the style of guitar Kramer was known for. I mean, I would never pay money for a Kramer Jersey Star... but knowing that ridiculous thing exists makes me smile.

Wow!

Gibson marketing did a masterful snowjob on this guy playing up the fame and "legacy" of that model...

As I remember it, it showed up in guitar magazines for about a year in ads and photos, oh, say about 1986. I don't think anybody bought or played one besides Sambora. The Kramers that got out in the world I think were Barettas, Focuses, Strykers (my first electric) and a few Pacers and SM-1s.

That "re-release" that he mentions reverentially? I figure that was probably a musicyo.com thing in the late 90s, probably built in China and sold for $300.

Wow!

Gibson marketing did a masterful snowjob on this guy playing up the fame and "legacy" of that model...

As I remember it, it showed up in guitar magazines for about a year in ads and photos, oh, say about 1986. I don't think anybody bought or played one besides Sambora. The Kramers that got out in the world I think were Barettas, Focuses, Strykers (my first electric) and a few Pacers and SM-1s.

That "re-release" that he mentions reverentially? I figure that was probably a musicyo.com thing in the late 90s, probably built in China and sold for $300.
Yeah! I was just a kid in those days and it was a few years before I took up guitar, but I was super into hard rock/metal even then. As I recall Kramer's big score was the EVH endorsement. And I think that he never actually played like, a Pacer or a Baretta... they just made him a copy of his Frankenstrat, or something?

Last edited:
Back