Mesa/Boogie joins Gibson

To be fair, a lot of people would love to see a reissue of the Mark II C+. That amp is legendary.

But I also have absolute faith in Gibson's ability to screw it up.

They (Mesa) can't build a perfect IIC+. There are components that just aren't manufactured anymore.
It won't stop Gibslum from making the Hetfield Super-Duper R-Signature IIC++ with Authentic Crunch-Berries Cereal Box Appliqué from vintage 1985 boxes unearthed in an ancient tomb. Make N0n-Authentic! :D:p

F@ck.

RIP

1Lqm6Cm.gif

Or did I misread that?

You guys are missing the positive in all of this. This means we finally have a chance to get John Petrucci playing an ARCHON, as God intended!

(Edit: Posted this while reading page 1 of thread. Didn't know someone had beat me to the idea. But I'm on board!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that news got you out from under your rock :cool:

I posted on Sergio's Instagram post about this last night, that this was finally a chance for us to get the Mesa Boogie Bluetooth speaker, that we'd always wanted. :p

Well I hope PRSh doesn't sell PRS Guitars to Gibson when he turns 75.

I heard @PRSfanboy46 was buying the company when Paul turned 75.

It's impressive indeed to witness how badly Gibson has soiled its reputation. Darn near everyone (including me) thinks this is bad for Mesa's future...

How can you say that about Gibson?!
Obviously you have never basked in the glory of
The Firebird X.
The L6S.
The Sonex.
The Marauder.
The Grabber Bass.
The Victory series guitars.
or the Lab Series amplifiers.

(Did I mention the Corvus?)

To further clarify, I have a number of Gibson guitars and they are all, every one of them, excellent.

That being said, of the last 7 guitars I have adopted, only 1 was a Gibson and that one only
because it was kind of a "Holy Grail" guitar for me that I had been hunting since 1967.
(I had given up the hunt and then just stumbled across the guitar accidentally.)

Gibson is not what it used to be and I feel they will have a negative impact on
the quality of what is going to be coming out of the Mesa amplifier lineup.

They (Mesa) can't build a perfect IIC+. There are components that just aren't manufactured anymore.
It won't stop Gibslum from making the Hetfield Super-Duper R-Signature IIC++ with Authentic Crunch-Berries Cereal Box Appliqué from vintage 1985 boxes unearthed in an ancient tomb. Make N0n-Authentic! :D:p
Would go perfect with that Hetfield Signature Uncle Milty Les Paul Custom that they never managed to get made because Gibby's Artist Relations people are just the BEST.

It was really nice of ESP to make a better one for them. Gibson should thank them.

Last edited:
How can you say that about Gibson?!
Obviously you have never basked in the glory of
The Firebird X.
The L6S.
The Sonex.
The Marauder.
The Grabber Bass.
The Victory series guitars.
or the Lab Series amplifiers.

(Did I mention the Corvus?)
You forgot the Gibson Little Wing !!!

gibson-signature-jimi-hendrix-stratocaster-electric-guitar.jpg

That dedicated executive team of which none have a musical background (Levi Strauss ex-President and investment world execs), have no clue what to do with a guitar or amp........yeah, that will turn out JUST FINE !
Look... business is business, and you don't have to be a guitar player to run a big guitar company. You need to be a very astute business leader, who knows how to run a company well, knows how to create profits and put those back into the pockets of employees and shareholders, defer to your managers in their areas of expertise, and don't do dumb sh!t (that's the important part!) When I look at companies that were started by people passionate about their fields - whether guitars, bike builders, or any other similar craft - there is a huge jump from starting a business to running a corporation. And the most successful ones know when to hand over the reigns and put the business side of things into the hands of those who how to do those things. There's a reason Jack Higginbotham runs the operations at PRS Guitars, and not Mr. Smith himself. And that lets Paul do what he does best.

Last edited:
I'm more of a Marshall guy, but Mesa has made some killer amps. That said, the "Gibson Brands" track record is... yeah. This does somewhat lessen my chances of buying a (new) Mesa down the road- I have a personal policy of not buying Gibson simply because I dislike their business practices so much.

Guess we should wait a couple of years and see if Randy Smith leaves and starts "Randall Smith Amplification," a la Michael Tobias after Gibson destroyed his brand's reputation.
He should start a new company building amps, named... Randall :p Oh, wait...

Ol' Andy is now a 1/3 owner of Taylor, which is good because he is now losing 1/3 of his own money as he tanks that company with his nefarious acoustic escapades. So I hope PRS has a plan, but not an Andy Powers plan. That said, no one loves baby like momma loves baby. I can't see anyone other than Paul with his passion and his matrix of analytics for the guitar run his company the way he does.

Meh, it seems Powers creations haven't hurt Taylor's bottom line so far.

In hindsight, I can see why Gibson would want to buy Mesa. Gibson just isn't a name that's even a consideration for those looking to buy a new amp. Where's the history? Who played Gibson amps? When you start naming famous guitarists, they're associated with the guitar and amps they played, right? Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, etc. Well, Gibson has that association on the guitar side nailed down, not so much on the amp side, but Mesa offers that association and recognition that has been lacking in a big way. Now, it just remains to be seen if they'll leave Mesa alone or will they strangle the golden goose by cutting corners to satisfy their bean counter overlords.

Meh, it seems Powers creations haven't hurt Taylor's bottom line so far.

Yeah, not just yet. Give it time. I have been playing close attention as I love my Taylor Guitars. The V brace thing is yet to playout. COVID is hiding what may have been trending more predominately otherwise. I want to see them do good, but time will tell.

Yeah, not just yet. Give it time. I have been playing close attention as I love my Taylor Guitars. The V brace thing is yet to playout. COVID is hiding what may have been trending more predominately otherwise. I want to see them do good, but time will tell.
I’ve heard a couple with the new bracing and it seemed better in every way. Higher notes definitely ring out and sustain better. Projection was great. Guy I work with got a Koa 12 string with it and that thing sounds glorious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back