Memories 1985 live aid

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Caught up in YouTube world tonight I came across an old memory Santana live at live aid 1985. I remember watching this on MTV. Matter fact I was around for the birth of MTV it was the summer before I became a sophomore in high school. Damn I’m getting old. Thought I would post this link check it out. What’s really awesome is Santana‘s first PRS !!

Because of Bohemian Rhapsody, my daughter is probably sick of hearing me talk about LiveAid.

I drove a little over an hour to a friend’s apartment the night before. She had to work a 9-5, so I stayed in the apartment and ran two VCRs, capturing as much as I could from MTV and ABC. The London feed was far superior because it focused on the bands. The feed from Philly had MTV’s VJs there, and they kept showing them (I don’t remember any of them being in London, but I could be dead wrong about that). Plus, I think I was running cassettes on the stereo because there was an FM simulcast.

LiveAid was my first exposure to some bands like Status Quo, and a deeper dive into some others, like Boomtown Rats. I soaked almost all of it in - I was rarely away from the TV that day. At lunchtime, Sue came home and brought me McDonald’s, if memory serves. It coincided with Dire Straits, who were coming to Pittsburgh shortly after that. We’d been debating whether or not to go. We were both blown away by there performance, to the point that Sue pulled out her purse, wrote a check, and said, “Buy the f*cking tickets”. Good thing - I believe it was their only performance here, and it sold out.

The performance of the day was Queen, and it really wasn’t that close. There were a ton of performances I really liked. Others were meh, but it was an incredible thing to watch. They made a huge deal about Phil Collins doing a set in London then jumping on the Concorde to play in Philly. David Bowie’s set was dynamite, especially ‘Heroes’ and ‘TVC15’. That, Dire Straits, and Queen are the sets I’ve watched the most in the years since. The Who was good but plagued with technical problems. I really enjoyed Elton John, particularly because he had Kiki Dee with him. Madonna was good, and this was when she was merely a superstar, not the megastar she’d become in short order - this was right after the Playboy pictures ‘scandal’, which Bette Midler sort of referenced in her intro.

Without pulling out a list of artists, I know I’m skipping over about a ton of stuff, like Clapton, the Cars, Zeppelin (whose performance is one of the ones not on the DVD set that was released). Hell, this thing had The Beach Boys there as well.

But of that day, the image that never fails to give me chills is the crowd doing the claps from the video during ‘Radio Ga-Ga’. It was obvious that quickly in their set that Queen owned the day, and the fact that virtually the whole stadium was doing that when it wasn’t a Queen concert or a Queen crowd - man, what an image.

Because of Bohemian Rhapsody, my daughter is probably sick of hearing me talk about LiveAid.

I drove a little over an hour to a friend’s apartment the night before. She had to work a 9-5, so I stayed in the apartment and ran two VCRs, capturing as much as I could from MTV and ABC. The London feed was far superior because it focused on the bands. The feed from Philly had MTV’s VJs there, and they kept showing them (I don’t remember any of them being in London, but I could be dead wrong about that). Plus, I think I was running cassettes on the stereo because there was an FM simulcast.

LiveAid was my first exposure to some bands like Status Quo, and a deeper dive into some others, like Boomtown Rats. I soaked almost all of it in - I was rarely away from the TV that day. At lunchtime, Sue came home and brought me McDonald’s, if memory serves. It coincided with Dire Straits, who were coming to Pittsburgh shortly after that. We’d been debating whether or not to go. We were both blown away by there performance, to the point that Sue pulled out her purse, wrote a check, and said, “Buy the f*cking tickets”. Good thing - I believe it was their only performance here, and it sold out.

The performance of the day was Queen, and it really wasn’t that close. There were a ton of performances I really liked. Others were meh, but it was an incredible thing to watch. They made a huge deal about Phil Collins doing a set in London then jumping on the Concorde to play in Philly. David Bowie’s set was dynamite, especially ‘Heroes’ and ‘TVC15’. That, Dire Straits, and Queen are the sets I’ve watched the most in the years since. The Who was good but plagued with technical problems. I really enjoyed Elton John, particularly because he had Kiki Dee with him. Madonna was good, and this was when she was merely a superstar, not the megastar she’d become in short order - this was right after the Playboy pictures ‘scandal’, which Bette Midler sort of referenced in her intro.

Without pulling out a list of artists, I know I’m skipping over about a ton of stuff, like Clapton, the Cars, Zeppelin (whose performance is one of the ones not on the DVD set that was released). Hell, this thing had The Beach Boys there as well.

But of that day, the image that never fails to give me chills is the crowd doing the claps from the video during ‘Radio Ga-Ga’. It was obvious that quickly in their set that Queen owned the day, and the fact that virtually the whole stadium was doing that when it wasn’t a Queen concert or a Queen crowd - man, what an image.

Great reply, holy crap you’ve got a great memory! There were amazing performances, I also remember recording on the VCR. I also soaked it all up back then. MTV was incredible back then, remember? when the aired MUSIC! I’ll be surfing YouTube for more acts from Live Aid. I remember the Farm Aid concerts were really cool also. What a great time to grow up in.

Wow! The flashbacks man! I too watched and remember a good majority of the LiveAid and FarmAid shows. Queens performance was definitely the most memorable and impressive to me. I was 17 back then and spent a lot of my summer researching bands, following the Billboard charts and seeing the trends in the music industry. It's a lot easier now with the internet, but I miss going to the Record Stores to flip through the aisles of albums and tapes. Or, thumbing through the catalog of published music, that the store managers would hide behind the counter. Good times!

Gawd, you guys are all young!:eek:;)

I’m not as young as those whippersnappers! I was in my 20s then.

Side age-related story - when my friend was turning 30 (I was about 22 at the time), we went to a concert and I teased her mercilessly about getting so old. Finally, she looked at me and said, “You know what? I’m going give you all this crap right back when you turn 30 and see how much you like it.”

I said, “By then you’ll be so close to 40 you’ll be lucky to remember this ever happened.” The deflated look on her face made me feel bad - for maybe a couple seconds.

Another cool thing about Santana at Live Aid. The PRS Guitars company had been officially created, but no guitars at shipped at this point. I'm sure some people watching were wondering what the hell kind of guitar Carlos was playing.

I rember thinking that same thing, “what the hell is Carlos playing” when I was watching MTV when Shango album videos came out. First video was Hold On, in the video they showed him playing a Yamaha but when the second video came out, Nowhere to Run live at 1982 US festival, that was the first time I saw a PRS, I was drooling over that guitar, bird inlays, eagle on the headstock, coool flamed yellow maple top, what kind of guitar was that?.? Well I purchased my first in early 1990 the age of 24. Never looked back, eventually sold all other brands. Here’s the video that started it all for me............

After finally seeing Bohemian Rhapsody tonight, I was watching a bunch of Queen related stuff on YouTube. I was a little too young to remember Live Aid. I do remember watching the Freddie tribute in 1992 at my high school band’s other guitar player’s dad’s house. Remember waking up, eating chocolate pop tarts and watching the tribute. I feel like it was on all day. Cool stuff. It did get me thinking a bit about how great it was how musicians came together almost on a global type level, working together for a common cause.

After finally seeing Bohemian Rhapsody tonight, I was watching a bunch of Queen related stuff on YouTube. I was a little too young to remember Live Aid. I do remember watching the Freddie tribute in 1992 at my high school band’s other guitar player’s dad’s house. Remember waking up, eating chocolate pop tarts and watching the tribute. I feel like it was on all day. Cool stuff. It did get me thinking a bit about how great it was how musicians came together almost on a global type level, working together for a common cause.

I’m still blown away that they managed to cast Mike Myers as the (made up) man who turned Bohemian Rhapsody down.

Nice interview with MM talking about how he fought for Bohemian Rhapsody to be used in the car scene in Wayne’s World, because the Producer/Director originally wanted to use Welcome to the Jungle!

Do you remember Extreme’s medley from that day? One of the absolute highlights for me, at least before Queen started playing. I always hoped they’d issue that separately - I don’t remember if it was on the DVD that came out because I never got that (may have to look into that). There was a satellite feed, and I recorded most or all of that day (on VHS, so I can still play it!). I still get chills when Cherone starts with the bit that opened the Jazz album - I felt that was an underappreciated album in the states, so I was stunned to hear something from an album that I just adore. Guess I’ll be listening to this on my studio monitors shortly...

Metallica’s set was also impressive - they did release that on a CD single. Might have been UK-only. I’m pretty sure I still have that.

Back