N(U)GD SE Bernie Marsden

LTigh

Right, so one of my big regrets of my time in Colorado (besides living in Colorado) was letting go of my PRSi to fund the escape from Bizarro World, most notably the Bernie Marsden I scored NOS for $319 back in 2013. I mean, I miss the rest of them (okay, the S2 maybe not so much, but I were in a weird place at the time), but getting rid of the Bernie really hurt.

So fast forward a couple of years after digging myself out of the hole of suck and fail that passed for life in the High Plains, I started missing that Bernie real bad. Sure, I tried filling that void with other guitars, and that worked for a while (although it took a few tries and I did manage to score a couple of keeper Edwards E-LPs and a proper Custom Shop ESP), but the Bernie still haunted me.

Until Monday, that is.

Came across a 2012 Marsden in the not-so-local-but-close-enough GC in very good condition, didn't think twice about dropping ducats even though used it cost a bit more than the Marsden I had to sell did NOS.

Anyway, pics, followed by more rambling:

zm99rsH.jpg

60boJUp.jpg

Yes, them's my grubby fingerprints over her, had to give the Bernie the once-over and luckily enough, the previous owner did some value-added stuff-- Switchcraft jack, CTS pots (one of which is Seymour Duncan branded), Orange Drop cap, and a bone nut.

So far, feels great, definitely a player's guitar. Very solid and comfy in a way you would expect out of an old school Gibby (like, say, the Beast?) without being too much of a boat anchor. Been spending the last couple of daysworth of free time with her after some minor adjustments to get her playable.

Neck had some relief what cause some fret-out on the high E-string but adjusting the height of the bridge and a couple of nudges with the truss rod got things acceptable until I can get a full set-up done by my go-to tech-guy (part of the collateral damage of un-screwing myself is that I've been ridiculously busy with work, thus no free time to do this stuff myself). Very loud unplugged, and the guts upgrades help with the otherwise (to my ears, anyway) meh-tier G&B stock pups. Actually, the neck pup is quite acceptable, the bridge is bleah, no matter how much I adjust the height or mess around with the volume and tone-- scratch that, it does fairly well with a little bit of dirt and the tone down about 3/4 of the way. But that's it.

No matter, though, because THIS Bernie gonna get all the TLC the previous Bernie weren't able to get thanks to general life-suckage in the Mountain State.

My own mods are gonna be that MannMade 2300 bridge in the picture (already put it in my Marty Friedman, it's the bomb-diggity, once I got the Bernie home I ordered it from @John Mann and GuitarVaultUSA and it got here in 2 days. BUENO).

Also, Switchcraft switch, maybe some cleaning-up of the rat's nest in the control cavity (previous owner did good putting in quality guts, but the soldering leaves something to be desired-- I'm surprised there weren't any cold solder joints).

Most importantly, though-- my new go-to humbucker pups, the SD Seth Lover set, what I got on the cheap on teh fleaBay (usual used pup spot is Reverb, but current selection is at damn-near new prices).

Would go with the Beastbuckers, but they're nearly 4 times as much and I likes da Sefs (thanks to the aforementioned Edwards E-LP 125ALS what gots them stock and got me hooked so much I scoured teh internets for more to stick in some of my other guitars). Plus they do the P.A.F. thing real purdy, so Sefs it is.

So here's another pic of the Bernie with my other single-cut SE, the Friedman:
e3HfFY6.jpg

Huh. I just realized, all my current SEs are signature models (Orianthi, Friedman, Marsden). Ah, well.

Now to start working on acquiring that previous-iteration CE to replace that S2 hole in my life. Or maybe a Mira. Always wanted one of those in Seafoam Green semi-hollow flavor.

Last edited:
Beautiful Bernie, I would be devastated if I ever had to get rid of mine. its good to see another Friedman (beginning to think I was the only one who liked them)

Modded with
Custom Ebony TRC
Bone Nut
Custom “J Birds in Flight” Fretboard Decals
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Pickups
Nickel Gotoh SD-90 HAP Machineheads (Height Adjustable Posts)
Aluminium ABM Wraparound Bridge
2 Volume, 1 Push Pull Tone (Phase Reversal)
3 Way Switch
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitor
Switchcraft jack
Vintage Amber Bell Knobs

Custom TRC
PRS Core nut
Chrome Selector Switch Tip
Switchcraft Selector Switch
Axesrus Classic 50's Bridge Humbucker (Alnico III)
Irongear Blues Engine Neck Humbucker (Alnico IV)
PRS Core Pickup Surrounds
2 Volume, 2 Push Pull Tones (Phase Reversal & Coil Shunt)
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitors
Switchcraft jack
Chrome Control Knobs

@LTigh - It looks like a stunner - glad you like it and remember to post some pics once you do the upgrades. I am also looking at some Beastbuckers and there are various alternatives of them on the crazy parts website. Still cost a pretty penny in Germany, and seem to be available for order, but I haven’t decided on exactly what pickups I want to go for.

@Fullmoon 1971 - how do you like the ABM bridge on your Bernie? Can’t recall ever seeing anyone use that on their PRSi until now.

@LTigh - It looks like a stunner - glad you like it and remember to post some pics once you do the upgrades. I am also looking at some Beastbuckers and there are various alternatives of them on the crazy parts website. Still cost a pretty penny in Germany, and seem to be available for order, but I haven’t decided on exactly what pickups I want to go for.

@Fullmoon 1971 - how do you like the ABM bridge on your Bernie? Can’t recall ever seeing anyone use that on their PRSi until now.

The ABM bridge is good but there are a couple of things with it, It requires raising up a lot higher than the standard bridge and the length is about 2mm shorter i.e requires setting back slightly further to get the intonation spot on, not really a issue but does look a little weird compared to standard bridge. I actually have a core bridge that I keep thinking about replacing it with but I'm too lazy (if it ain't broke don't fix it) I would love to get a Mannmade bridge but the shipping costs make it prohibitive at the moment.

Congratulations!!! Glad you got back into a Bernie. Its merits and value have been extolled repeatedly on this forum. I've had one myself, also equipped with the Mann bridge. I may just have to get back into one!

I keep going back to read your post and there is just something I can't figure out. It seems to me that you either really LOVED living in Colorado, or not so much. Just not entirely clear from your syntax.....:)

Kevin

I keep going back to read your post and there is just something I can't figure out. It seems to me that you either really LOVED living in Colorado, or not so much. Just not entirely clear from your syntax.....:)

Kevin

I liked visiting Colorado. Living there and making a living there proved... less than optimal, in my particular line of work.

Also, it were a weird time in my life. Picking up and moving to a strange and alien place was probably not the best idea in a whole string of bad ideas.

Random question: does the Bernie have two tones and a volume or two volumes and a tone?

Welcome home Bernie. I had a vintage burst that I sold some years back as well, but not letting go of the ebony one I picked up 2 years ago with Whole Lotta Love buckers. Love mine to death. Rock on!.

Killer! Bernie is the next one on my list...been adding to my mad money stash little by little...getting there...congrats!

Oh, one more thing...
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

So yeah, it's been a bit longer than I'd expected thanks to day-job robbing me of all my free time, but pics of the finished mod (well, mostly finished. Thinking of replacement speed knobs now).

I'm always glad I went for the MannMade 2300 adjustable stop-tail, sustain and resonance are off the charts (and they were already pretty good with the stock bridge and posts). Sefs are the bomb-diggity as well, definitely a solid go-to (although at some incredibly distant point in the future, I'd love to get a set of Beastbuckers just to complete the motif) what compliments the Bernie very well, as far as unpotted PAF-types are concerned. Switchcraft switch is also a nice improvement over the stock import guts, and it were more of a lark.

DukaegO.jpg

D0bA4XK.jpg

X8w1qJe.jpg

eGjiiX4.jpg

Atha8bP.jpg

So yeah, it's been a bit longer than I'd expected thanks to day-job robbing me of all my free time, but pics of the finished mod (well, mostly finished. Thinking of replacement speed knobs now).

I'm always glad I went for the MannMade 2300 adjustable stop-tail, sustain and resonance are off the charts (and they were already pretty good with the stock bridge and posts). Sefs are the bomb-diggity as well, definitely a solid go-to (although at some incredibly distant point in the future, I'd love to get a set of Beastbuckers just to complete the motif) what compliments the Bernie very well, as far as unpotted PAF-types are concerned. Switchcraft switch is also a nice improvement over the stock import guts, and it were more of a lark.

DukaegO.jpg

D0bA4XK.jpg

X8w1qJe.jpg

eGjiiX4.jpg

Atha8bP.jpg

Looks great! Amber lampshades look great on a Bernie too!

Back