McCarty with Narrowfield

Tonehunter

Anyone have any experience with a McCarty with the Narrowfield PUP's?came across one of theses used at a fair price. The sound clips online sound great but they always do, just want some real feedback to see if it's worth picking up tomorrow. Thanks in advance

I think you either love em or hate em...

I tried one once, it wasn't for me. Why take a guitar that was designed to create a "fat " sound and put pups in it that sound waaaaay thin??

I'm in the "love em" camp. They don't sound thin to me at all (not discounting your perspective though Brian...) That guitar, with those pickups, work with every amp I've tried it with.

I have a bunch of PRS guitars, and the McCarty 25th narrowfield is either my favorite, or my second favorite (depending on the day) of all of them.

MC25-1_zpsfd7f2ff0.jpg

Haven't played them on a McCarty, but I thoroughly enjoy NF's on the SAS or studio. I'm all humbucker, all the time. I dig these though.

I love the Narrowfields on my NF3. Those are Korina, (which is mahogany-eque) and the necks / fretboards are maple. To each his own, but I don't find the NFs thin at all, even with all that maple. They are warm but with extremely good articulation, and REALLY change character with the volume knob.

I'd say she's definitely worth a play!

Does anyone know if the various NF pickups are wound differently for each location? (Neck, middle, bridge).

Thanks for all your input guys, the store that had the McCarty with NF's sold it right before I got there.Normally I would have been bummed. Luckily they had used NF3 that I just fell in love with, it feels like a real player. I am having a hard time putting it down. (Does anyone else have this problem?) I would have never even thought of buying this guitar but I was looking for something different and this fits the bill and it's a PRS. Now I wonder since these NF PUPs were the birth of something new, would they have caught on or sold more if they were named MotherBuckers? These may be premature but, To me they just seem to be some bad MotherBuckers. I hope everyone is enjoying their Veterans Day thanks to all that served, it's a good day to be in the Red, White, and Blues.

I'm in the "love em" camp. They don't sound thin to me at all (not discounting your perspective though Brian...) That guitar, with those pickups, work with every amp I've tried it with.

I have a bunch of PRS guitars, and the McCarty 25th narrowfield is either my favorite, or my second favorite (depending on the day) of all of them.

MC25-1_zpsfd7f2ff0.jpg

Woah!! Vids/clips?

Luckily they had used NF3 that I just fell in love with, it feels like a real player. I am having a hard time putting it down. (Does anyone else have this problem?)

Yes...I do. I had a really cool one-off NF3 with a rosewood board & birds awhile back, before I was so heavily into "S-Style" guitars. Never bonded with it, sold it to fund another PRS. Found a plain Jane black-on-black with a maple board and dots that a local guy was selling a few months ago, and 90% of the time you will find that NF3 on my "main stand." Bonded with this one so well, ended up finding another one the same week, identical except for the color, and snagged that too.

There have been discussions / speculation out here as to why these didn't sell. DC3 didn't light any fires either - and they sound phenomenal as well. Maybe "the world" just doesn't want "S-Style" PRSes. I dig 'em. I am a big CE fan as well.

So you bought the NF3? If so would love to see some pics...

I bought the NF3 it's a Used TRI-Burst with a maple neck and bird in lays.
I love it so far. I would love to post pics and will as soon as I can figure out how to upload them on this forum. Computer/smart phone technology is not my strongpoint

How do you post photos? I have them saved on my phone but I can't see where I have an option to upload. Does anyone know?

Upload them to imgur (or whatever else your favourite hosting service is), then link to them there with the picture icon.

I LOOOOOOOVE my NF3!!! Can't wait to see yours. You're gonna love that thing. Best neck I've ever played, incredibly versatile. Mine is plain white and (my only complaint) doesn't even have birds. And it just kills me every time I plug it in to any amp I have.

I am the proud owner of a maple neck NF3 and all I can say is that I love the guitar but the narrowfield pick ups are quite different than the full humbuckers. I don't find the narrowfieds to be thin and a lot of the time, I will roll back the tone knob a bit to "deepen" the sound.

I'd give it a go.

These McCarty Narrowfields were only made for one year and they are real sleepers IMHO. You can dial them in to a 1959 Les Paul tone and then to a woman tone jazz box in seconds and then back to AC/DC. Very versatile to say the least.

Back