McCarty Single Cut Balance vs...

Shane Cormier

Looking at either the Single cut or double cut McCarty 594. Played the double cut in store and couldn’t put it down. With a single cut, is it comparable to a standard LP as far as the “unbalanced” feel of the guitar. I realize that there is a chunk of wood missing but was curious if PRS did anything regarding making it less awkward/displaced...asking also because I like the tone of a heavier guitar. Appreciate any input.

My first thought is that if you couldn't put the double cut down, that is the way to go.

That out of the way, here is my answer to your query. I don't find the PRS single cut at all unbalanced. I don't find mine nearly as punishing feel wise as a Les Paul (which I do own). The weight is more than just one less cut out - the more significant difference is that the PRS single cut is thicker in the body than their double cuts. You will get the tone of a Les Paul in the single cut, but I have to note that many here feel the 594 double cut gives you that sound as well (I don't have one to give my own opinion).

I don't own a McCarty 594 SC, but I do own a 2011 'Stripped '58' SC. I also own a pretty nice 2012 Les Paul Trad Pro.

Hopefully being totally objective here (noting that I play seated 95% of the time)... the LP is nice enough, but it also sort of tends to feel like it's just sitting there, somewhat heavily, too, in my lap, and not quite as much a 'part' of me. Balanced... OK. (Also somehow not quite as 'alive' feeling. IMO.)

The PRS SC '58 (which I bought afterwards) is pretty much the opposite in that it feels a 'friendlier' somehow, more ergonomic on some level. Balanced more like it's a real part of me. (IOW, a PRS!)

Oh, yeah... the PRS 58/07 pickups definitely sound a lot better than the Gibson '57s, too. My 58/07s were modded to split and their split-coil also sounds much better than the LP Trad Pro's split sound. (Yes, the LP will be being sold one of these days soon, especially after I also got one of the phenomenal Eastman SB 59/v's in their violin varnish finish, loaded with Duncan Antiquities. WOW.)

In comparing my SC '58 instead here... would anyone care to comment on how (or if) that guitar might differ much, if any, from the current McCarty 594 SC guitars, in balance/ergonomics?

What Les Pauls are you playing? My reissues weigh 8.5 lbs or less and feel nicely balanced. I understand I’m referencing custom shop LPs. I find PRS SCs nicely balanced too for the most part, and I prefer them (overall) to DCs.

Last edited:
What Les Pauls are you playing? My reissues weigh 8.5 lbs or less and feel nicely balanced. I understand I’m referencing custom shop LPs. I find PRS SCs nicely balanced too for the most part.
I had a Heritage h150. When I say unbalanced, it was not terrible but it was night and day to the 594 double cut.

Back