McCarty 594 and locking tuners

Jo-

f-hole lover
Did the McCarty 594’s ever come with locking tuners? I thought I’d seen an hollowbody model with phase iii’s.

If not, can the tuners be replaced easily or would that require new holes drilled?

They previously came with locking tuners until ~2020. I recently swapped the vintage non-locking tuners which came stock on my 2021 SC594 to the PRS locking vintage tuners without an issue. They are identical and no new holes were required. It was a 10 minute activity.

They previously came with locking tuners until ~2020. I recently swapped the vintage non-locking tuners which came stock on my 2021 SC594 to the PRS locking vintage tuners without an issue. They are identical and no new holes were required. It was a 10 minute activity.

Some might call it a “project” (runs and hides).

Changing the tuners was much easier than me trying to follow the video on “locking” the strings with the stock tuners. I guess I was spoiled when my 2018 DC594 has phase III locking tuners and it was tough to adjust to non locking.
I know how to lock the strings on non locking tuners but it takes so much longer for me to string up a guitar. The PRS Phase II’s and III’s have spoiled me though. I never want to have to faff about with stringing non locking tuners ever again.

I know how to lock the strings on non locking tuners but it takes so much longer for me to string up a guitar. The PRS Phase II’s and III’s have spoiled me though. I never want to have to faff about with stringing non locking tuners ever again.
The Phase III are also a direct fit to replace the vintage style, however, there will be a “foot print” in the nitro from the vintage tuner on the back of the headstock.

The Phase III are also a direct fit to replace the vintage style, however, there will be a “foot print” in the nitro from the vintage tuner on the back of the headstock.
Would the Phase III's leave a footprint after being swapped back to the originals, or would the nitro have hardened enough by then to not leave any trace of other tuners being installed?

What do these look like from the front of the heads
52270050523_b25fc47079_z.jpg

Would the Phase III's leave a footprint after being swapped back to the originals, or would the nitro have hardened enough by then to not leave any trace of other tuners being installed?
The Phase III have a smaller footprint. The original vintage tuners will have a footprint because the nitro was soft when they were originally installed. The Phase III will fit inside this and thus if you ever go back to the vintage tuners, there will be no noticeable marks.

The Phase III have a smaller footprint. The original vintage tuners will have a footprint because the nitro was soft when they were originally installed. The Phase III will fit inside this and thus if you ever go back to the vintage tuners, there will be no noticeable marks.
What xxxadixxx said

Who the heck anodizes or plates metal in ivory?
Never having owned a PRS with lockers, I didn't know those caps were anodized aluminum - thought they'd have been some type of phenolic plastic and maybe could come in the same ivory color as the tuning buttons. Silly me.

Never having owned a PRS with lockers, I didn't know those caps were anodized aluminum - thought they'd have been some type of phenolic plastic and maybe could come in the same ivory color as the tuning buttons. Silly me.

They’re basically metal screws. You loosen them to expose the string holes, pull the string hand-tight, then gently tighten the screws down to lock the strings in place. It’s a simple, slick system. Makes string changes a breeze.

I never realized they stopped putting the locking tuners on 594s! Man I would miss that. My 594 HBII locking tuners…..
UvRClDn_d.webp

Back