McCarty 245....spongy?

P90s

My personal experience is that the sting tension on a longer-scale neck (25" and up) allows for faster playing. The string bounces back into position quicker so on hammer-ons & hammer-offs, etc, I feel like I can play faster. On my Les Paul, there isn't the same tension as my PRS 513 and I play differently as a result. Has anyone played the PRS 24.5" scale necks? Do you play slower because there's less tension on the strings?

Theoretically you are correct. It affects some people more than others though. You can adjust your string gauge slightly higher for a shorter scale as long as you get along w/the heavier strings. All depends on the player really.

I have a PS245 which has a 24.5" scale length. I currently have 11s on it to provide some extra tension so there's not a big shift in tension between my Suhrs (which are 25.5" scale length and strung with 10s). In terms of whether I play faster with the higher tension - I'd say no if the guitars are set up right. But that's maybe because I constantly play different guitars so have become accustomed to adopting my techniques to different neck profiles/lengths etc.

Nope.

Strat with 25.5 and Bernie with 24.5. Both have 10's on them and if anything I can play a little faster on the Bernard.

Too many variables that could effect this. Yes, scale length but also the frets, neck shape, string gauge, action, etc.

That said... I don't play bleeding edge fast so perhaps that's when it becomes much more apparent. For me other things other than scale length affect my speed on a given guitar.

Last edited:
My personal experience is that the sting tension on a longer-scale neck (25" and up) allows for faster playing. The string bounces back into position quicker so on hammer-ons & hammer-offs, etc, I feel like I can play faster. On my Les Paul, there isn't the same tension as my PRS 513 and I play differently as a result. Has anyone played the PRS 24.5" scale necks? Do you play slower because there's less tension on the strings?

Little-known fact: you can alter the string tension on your Lester, as described below.

I wouldn't have this problem even if my 24.5" McCarty Singlecut wasn't set up with a little steeper break angle between the stoptail and the bridge, because I grew up as a Gibson player.

However - if you keep the bridge at the same height, and ever so slightly lower the stop tail, you can affect the break angle over the bridge, and that should increase string tension a little. Adjust to taste. Be sure to loosen the strings so the adjustment doesn't screw up the parts.

Yes my 25" scale guitars are a bit more forgiving to my playing
My SC58 likes a bit more finesse
Does not effects my leads any just heavy rhythm playing

For me it's more fret size and maybe the resulting action height due to that. The higher tension doesn't really make much difference to me. I have an SG special from the 80s with really low frets, that easy to do slides and most rhythm playing, etc. but for faster hammer-on/pull-off lead runs, I prefer my guitars with bigger frets like my DC245s, P245 or CU24 Floyd. I don't really notice much difference between the DC245s and the CU24 and they have the same frets.

Back