Mc Carty DC 594 ?

Hopkinwfg

Hi all, am new here... after playing so many jacksons and ibanez... my recent acquired fender and suhr classic... i caught up with this new design available back in 2016 or 2017?

Went to my local dealer to play one out its lighter than a normal LP thou but the neck just feels so right, and the tone is organic and woody...

I decided to get one but am confused with some of the Mc Carty having rosewood neck but it isnt a private stock piece considering it priced lower than those private stock... was those with rosewood neck an exclusive runs for dealers ?

Secondly am looking to do upgrades to artist package too.. i love ebonies fretboard and i am also looking to upgrade the look of the top to somewhere what i have in mind... i have no idea if PRS would accept pictures sending to them to get them match out the closest possible tops ?

Thanks very much appreciated of any could help...

The DC 594 launched in 2016 with the SC following a year later. There are different 'tiers' in the core range with the first tier being built exactly as described - ie a Maple capped Mahogany body with a Rosewood fretboard Mahogany neck. The electronics and Pick-ups are also the spec as described on the website - ie 58/15 LT's with individual push/pull pots for Splitting the PU's. I am sure you know the specs of the 594.

The next tier is a cosmetic upgrade, swapping the regular graded maple cap for one that is deemed as cosmetically better. This is the '10-top' and indicated by a '10' written on the highest point. Artist grade is the tier above that and opens up a few more colour options. I believe you would have to speak with a PRS dealer on this though. Another option is 'wood library' where the 'standard' woods maybe replaced by alternative woods - such as having a Solid Rosewood neck, a flame maple neck, a swamp ash body - anything that isn't the 'standard' wood combinations. These may be small runs for a dealer or a small run from PRS if for example, they find a nice batch of wood whilst sourcing the standard woods. This is partly why they are not as expensive as a Private Stock.

A Private Stock though is the highest tier and maybe a very limited run by the Private Stock team (like the two recent Graveyard 594 models) or a commissioned one-off for a dealer or for a customer through a dealer. This is where you get to pick your woods and spec out your own model. If you want a 594 Hollowbody with a Piezo bridge, you can commission it. I have even seen a 24 fret HB 594 in the PS Friday photo's. You can pick an Ebony fretboard, pick what inlay material you want, what colour scheme and/or fade, burst etc. Pick what type of Backplates you want and colour too. I don't like flamed maple bright coloured back-plates on a plain back but if you do, you can have that - or have them made of the same material and finished in the same way so they basically disappear. Point is, you can have what you want and willing/able to pay for.

Core models are the ones that are standard and by standard, I mean that they are built to the same spec with the same wood combinations which for PRS is the traditional Mahogany with maple cap and rosewood fretboard. The maple cap is the first 'upgrade' you can pay for and its a cosmetic upgrade in that you are paying extra for a 10top that is deemed to have a better flame with no or very minor 'dead spots', areas with no flame. Wood Library is the same spec apart from a different wood than standard used but that is not a Private Stock.

Cool thanks for running up in the details... am sure the private stock is way way way beyond what i can look at... i mostly like the artist package having ebony fretboard would be cool...

Just wondering are there a thingy like masterbuilders in PRS factory stating different builders at different level of upgrades ?

I know a stock PRS is already well built but who knows if there are more than what it reveals haha..

Cool thanks for running up in the details... am sure the private stock is way way way beyond what i can look at... i mostly like the artist package having ebony fretboard would be cool...

Just wondering are there a thingy like masterbuilders in PRS factory stating different builders at different level of upgrades ?

I know a stock PRS is already well built but who knows if there are more than what it reveals haha..
Master builders at PRS would be the private stock team that builds the PS guitars. I think there are 12 + Paul.

Wow.... but anybody able to spot any differences in build quality and consistency between an artist package to a PS piece?

I love my artist 594 (braz rosewood fretboard). I think you’ll be happy too!

Speak to a dealer about current options, I’m sure they can answer your questions and guide you through the purchase process.

I have ebony only on a g-Les Paul, need to get a prs with ebony someday soon

Wow.... but anybody able to spot any differences in build quality and consistency between an artist package to a PS piece?
Btw, that’s just my assessment. Those 12 work on the highest end custom builds and I believe the Collection series, which is technically higher than PS but not customizable.

The build quality of the core guitars on up is pretty much equal, with the artist and WL mostly having nicer looking woods and more options. I’ve not found flaws in most PRS. Build quality and consistency is PRS middle name. They built their reputation on that and raised industry standards. I have SE, core, artist package and a PS. The PS has something special. Hard to describe. I’m not sure I’d say the quality is better though. That’s really only because the quality is top notch across the board.

I’m lucky to have a few PS and Core models, and have had many beginning in 1991. The build quality and consistency is the same, regardless of the level of Core guitar, but more build time and personalization are put into PS, and most PS (unless otherwise spec’d) come with a beautiful nitro finish that isn’t sticky. I think the additional build time and such make PS guitars pretty special in terms of sound quality, etc., but I love my Core models just as much.

You don’t get to pick your top on an Artist model, though the color options are much greater.

My advice is that if you’re especially picky and need to pick the exact top you want, buy from a dealer instead of ordering one, and you’ll get exactly what you prefer. Also, PRS there’s a long wait for a special order.

I’m lucky to have a few PS and Core models, and have had many beginning in 1991. The build quality and consistency is the same, regardless of the level of Core guitar, but more build time and personalization are put into PS, and most PS (unless otherwise spec’d) come with a beautiful nitro finish that isn’t sticky. I think the additional build time and such make PS guitars pretty special in terms of sound quality, etc., but I love my Core models just as much.

You don’t get to pick your top on an Artist model, though the color options are much greater.

My advice is that if you’re especially picky and need to pick the exact top you want, buy from a dealer instead of ordering one, and you’ll get exactly what you prefer. Also, PRS there’s a long wait for a special order.

Thanks Schefman... because am from asia singapore and my local dealer just dont get in enough of these from time to time.... i may wanna try ask my local dealer on matching up thou... how about certain weight preference? I may prefer a slightly heavier as i seem most at about 7lbs to 8.1 lbs... haha

Thanks Schefman... because am from asia singapore and my local dealer just dont get in enough of these from time to time.... i may wanna try ask my local dealer on matching up thou... how about certain weight preference? I may prefer a slightly heavier as i seem most at about 7lbs to 8.1 lbs... haha

There are quite a few dealers in the US who include weight specs on their websites.

Back