Mark Tremonti Baritone Limited Edition

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
In my mind I thought of a scenario which went like this...

Mark Tremonti saying Hey, why does Mark Holcomb get a 25.5" down tune guitar and not me?! hahaha

This is a GREAT idea! Anyone who wants one better get it now since it is a limited edition.

http://www.prsguitars.com/tremonti_baritone/

hero_large.jpg

Oh man. And just when I thought I had my GAS issues taken care of...

Anyone price one yet?

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. A real baritone should come stock in B, not your standard 80's Drop D down a half step tuning ::shakes head::

Hey Everyone, I'll leave this comment from Paul here if anyone has scale length questions/concerns.

"Hey everybody, Paul Smith here. So I understand this concern. This is a Mark Tremonti specified C# to C# instrument with larger gauge strings. The argument here is almost like saying if you played a short scale guitar (say 24.5") and it was tuned E to E and you made another guitar with the scale length 25.5" (like a strat) then you should tune the guitar down to C# because it's an inch longer - and that's not the case. There are two ways to accommodate a lower tuned string. 1. Increase the gauge of the string. and/or 2. Lengthen the scale length. Just because people are used to seeing an increased scale length on other maker's guitars doesn't mean that's the only way to do it. Mark has taken this guitar out on tour and it performed powerfully tuned C# to C# with the following gauges of strings: .014-.068. I really like this gauge of string, this tuning, and this guitar. It sounds awesome. It could be argued that a short scale guitar should never be tuned E to E but should be tuned G to G. I personally prefer baritones where you make the gauge of the string much larger and make the guitar with a shorter scale length then the internet thinks is appropriate. Now all that said, we have released tuned-down guitars with longer scale lengths (SE Mark Holcomb 25.5" drop C and an SE 277 27.7"). This is a very interesting situation/discussion involving our guitar making and artist preferences vs. other manufacturers standard vs history. Please be assured this guitar will perform brilliantly C# to C# - as long as you don't put .009's on it : ) ...(by the way, if you listen to "Machine Gun" Band of Gypsys, Hendrix is tuned D to D on a 25.5" scale guitar with fairly light gauge strings. Go figure.)"

I kind of revolt against that "there's only one way to do things" kind of thinking. (And I tell myself that's what people are referring to when they say I'm 'revolting'.)

Just when I was convinced that I was going to get in on the SE Holcomb action, this beast comes along. I can't lie - I have a preference for the core line models. But I also don't know how useful something like this would be to me, which tilts me towards the SE. Then again, there's something about a singlecut that feels like home - and I love the PRS double cut shape.

Thank goodness there's no trem on these! A man can only resist so much - and a less-than-manly man like me even less!

Whew! Pattern-Thin neck. Saved me some money.:p
And, yes, I get it. When I get my own signature model I can spec whatever neck I want. :rolleyes:

Very cool that the tuning machines will accommodate some thick strings without having to drill them out.

Hey Everyone, I'll leave this comment from Paul here if anyone has scale length questions/concerns.

"Hey everybody, Paul Smith here. So I understand this concern. This is a Mark Tremonti specified C# to C# instrument with larger gauge strings. The argument here is almost like saying if you played a short scale guitar (say 24.5") and it was tuned E to E and you made another guitar with the scale length 25.5" (like a strat) then you should tune the guitar down to C# because it's an inch longer - and that's not the case. There are two ways to accommodate a lower tuned string. 1. Increase the gauge of the string. and/or 2. Lengthen the scale length. Just because people are used to seeing an increased scale length on other maker's guitars doesn't mean that's the only way to do it. Mark has taken this guitar out on tour and it performed powerfully tuned C# to C# with the following gauges of strings: .014-.068. I really like this gauge of string, this tuning, and this guitar. It sounds awesome. It could be argued that a short scale guitar should never be tuned E to E but should be tuned G to G. I personally prefer baritones where you make the gauge of the string much larger and make the guitar with a shorter scale length then the internet thinks is appropriate. Now all that said, we have released tuned-down guitars with longer scale lengths (SE Mark Holcomb 25.5" drop C and an SE 277 27.7"). This is a very interesting situation/discussion involving our guitar making and artist preferences vs. other manufacturers standard vs history. Please be assured this guitar will perform brilliantly C# to C# - as long as you don't put .009's on it : ) ...(by the way, if you listen to "Machine Gun" Band of Gypsys, Hendrix is tuned D to D on a 25.5" scale guitar with fairly light gauge strings. Go figure.)"

So now I'm wondering if the fret height/size is the same as all normal PRS core line guitars. If so, is that why the thicker strings must be used? In my mind I'm comparing this to the original Holcomb limited edition model which came with jumbo frets and 10's installed. Are the 14's in this case a substitution for jumbo frets?

I'm tempted to get one of these and put 10's on it but maybe I would just be duplicating my efforts since I already have a Holcomb model. But I really like the idea of a Pattern Thin flame Maple neck. Decisions... decisions.

More looking forward to the PRS Tremonti amps out next year then this thing. Sorry Paul, I know you're Mr. innovator and all, but the baritone has always been tuned to B as a standard. Maybe not calling it a baritone when it isn't would have been a way to avoid the many people pointing out the tuning just saying it's a limited run able to accommodate much lower tunings and thicker strings. Not sure why his weird explorer hybrid didn't get released, or even the Tremonti 7-string.

More looking forward to the PRS Tremonti amps out next year then this thing. Sorry Paul, I know you're Mr. innovator and all, but the baritone has always been tuned to B as a standard. Maybe not calling it a baritone when it isn't would have been a way to avoid the many people pointing out the tuning just saying it's a limited run able to accommodate much lower tunings and thicker strings. Not sure why his weird explorer hybrid didn't get released, or even the Tremonti 7-string.

Shouldn't your "disappointment" be focused at Tremonti? They're his specs after all. Hence, Signature model.

You will only buy a product if it has Tremonti's name on it? Perhaps the Tremonti product specs just aren't your thing. There are a lot of other PRS guitars to choose from. One of them is bound to suit your fancy.

So now I'm wondering if the fret height/size is the same as all normal PRS core line guitars. If so, is that why the thicker strings must be used? In my mind I'm comparing this to the original Holcomb limited edition model which came with jumbo frets and 10's installed. Are the 14's in this case a substitution for jumbo frets?
Jumbo frets have no impact on tuning or string tension, just fretting-hand feel and maybe some non-zero but still tiny impact on tone.

String size affects tuning and/or tension, and usually both on purpose.

Regarding the scale length and string size:

Imagine you have a regular 25" scale guitar with 10 gauge strings. Now put on 13s, but keep roughly the tension the same. Your tuning goes down to something like B.

If you put on 14s, it probably goes to A# (Bb). Now for most people, the thicker the string, the more tension they pike. So maybe 14s on a 25" scale really feel good tuned to C. Extend the scale to 25.5", which is less than a full fret-to-fret spacing at the nut end, and maybe B starts to feel good.

The 27.7" PRS baritones feel pretty good with 14s on them and downtuned to standard A. So a 25.5" with 14s tuned on it tuned to B might feel just right...

Jumbo frets have no impact on tuning or string tension, just fretting-hand feel and maybe some non-zero but still tiny impact on tone.

String size affects tuning and/or tension, and usually both on purpose.

Yea, I wasn't bringing up the jumbo fret thing with regard to tone but only the fretting feel and such. If I am playing a downtune guitar, it seems that my personal preference is to go with skinnier strings and a longer scale length as opposed to a shorter scale length with fatter strings. Its all about comfort on my fingers, a stiffer feel to the strings and clean fretting without a lot of effort. Jumbo frets and long scale lengths are not comfortable for normal playing (imho ymmv) as you see in the Stratocasters but seem to be great for lower tunings. I like Drop C tuning and being comfortable. hahaha My cake and eat it too so to speak. hahaha

If someone really wanted to affect the tone, those super long scale length that Paul cited will greatly affect the actual tone of the string more than using fatter strings. Skinny strings on a scale length of almost 28 inches will sound vastly different just from the scale length.

It's a nice little novelty piece. From a player's perspective it's nearly useless. Baritones are a longer scale length with reasonable size strings for good reason.

You will only buy a product if it has Tremonti's name on it? Perhaps the Tremonti product specs just aren't your thing. There are a lot of other PRS guitars to choose from. One of them is bound to suit your fancy.

No, that's just putting words in my mouth/misreading what I wrote. PRS really are the ones who are causing an uproar by calling this a baritone when in the video for it Tremonti himself calls it a 'baritone hybrid' which he first got back in 2009 apparently (according to Guitar World). Back in 2012 I interviewed him and he mentioned not thinking it would be something that would be released as it was a custom piece.
As for the amp, I'm looking forward to it because Tremonti gets some killer sounds out of his Rectifier + Ubershal combo, so I'm curious to how an amp that he's involved in would sound since his guitar sound is killer. Take a look at my signature and you'll notice I do use two Tremonti effects. I don't own one of his guitars though because I haven't found a singlecut that I feel feels right, though they are great instruments I have been looking for one of the purple limited edition SE's that was released in 2012.

Back