Maple Top Natural Edge: Some get it, some don't.

Which do you prefer: Natural Edge or not?

• Total voters
Hmmm...I was thinking about this the other day, and it seemed like the overwhelming majority preferred the natural edge. Looking at how the votes stand as of now, it still seems to be the case.

I like both, really. All of my guitars have the natural binding but I absolutely would not mind having a wrap finish of some sort added to the collection. As others have mentioned, Black Gold Burst looks great with a wrap finish. Back when PRS did Sapphire Smoke Burst, that looked good with a wrap finish, too.

I will say, I prefer natural backs on my guitars, so sometimes a wrap burst doesn't quite jive with a natural back....just kinda depends on the finish, I suppose.
I have both those wrap finishes you mention: P24 in Black Gold Wrap (my current avatar photo), and a Brazzy Soapie McKorina in Sapphire Smoke Burst wrap. Now that McKorina doesn't have a maple top, so the wrap is a logical thing. But it looks awesome! It is my understanding the black gold finish makes the natural binding a lot more of a job, because the black is really hard to scrape out/off, so PRS really prefers to go with the wrap, generally.

Nonetheless, I generally prefer the natural scraped binding.

Natural maple binding is what sets PRS apart from actual ivory plastic binding guitars, my HB has it, and the concept itself is total class. My HB SGLCUT doesn't though it looks fine, for a mahogany top.

...... but I'm not gonna lie, I like a full wrap finish more, just on the uniqueness level alone.

mgCuelz.jpg

Yum!

The Violin Amber McCarty I had was kind of a best of both worlds thing; the finish was translucent enough that the edge of the top showed very clearly, but it was a wrap finish. It was a nice look.

I had a 1996 Custom 24 with scarlet red burst (no scraped binding).
Most of the ones I have seen had no exposed binding, but I really liked the few ones I saw with exposed binding better.

As long as it’s not accompanying au naturel.

I've said this before as well. That pic doesn't really show now nice the top is. It's a 10 top and very pretty without stain.

The natural edge saved my finish on my McCarty. In a bout of afternoon Budweiser-itis, I dropped a stand on the guitar, you know, the thing supposedly to protect the guitar??!! I lived with the gouge for a while, but couldn't abide it even if it was on the bottom of the bottom bout. My guy fixed it and you cannot tell that it was ever there. "Good thing it didn't get into the Cherry color, it would have shown instantly where it was repaired." Said he. I Personally like the natural edge, it's a classy move in a world of fake plastic Ivory binding.

Natural / scraped for me - for now. I'm sure in a year i'll be lusting for wrap finish lol

Between the hours of 11 and 6:30. Then I wake up.
You have to tell me how to do that! How do you make yourself dream about her? I've been trying to have dreams about here for years. Daydreams... piece of cake. Can't seem to have any about her while I'm asleep though. I even tried taking her picture to bed with me. Nothing!... Well, I got a black eye somehow...

Back