Maple Top Natural Edge: Some get it, some don't.

Which do you prefer: Natural Edge or not?

• Total voters

HANGAR18

Who is John Galt?
What exactly determines whether a guitar body will receive a Maple Top Natural Edge or not? Does it depend on the ability of the stain to stay in place, or a rule which says all XYZ models will have a natural edge, or do they just make it up as they go?

All my McCarty 594's (and SC245) have a natural edge but not all of my Custom 24's have one.

Hangar, I think they do it mostly by finish color, though there are exceptions. F’rinstance, most Black Gold guitars have a wrap edge. However, I have a WL 594 in BG that was spec’d with a scraped edge, and the 594 Soapy I have has the usual wrap. The old Vintage Amber Bursts were wrap. Etc.

You left out an option on your poll, though. I like both scraped and wrap, and don’t really have a preference.

My SE floyd cu24 has one and I really like it. I got some of those guildford maple pickup rings since I didn't like black on a fire red burst. Darkened them with some semi gloss finish so they are close to the natural edge binding and really like it. Does need to yellow slightly, I read that it would darken and yellow naturally over a year or two. So they are slightly lighter for now.

Last edited:
I'll also take either depending on the finish - on some darker finishes it would just pop in a way that may not be as appealing.

That being said, I'll take a natural edge, reveal or not, over binding, any day, same on necks. Don't care for binding much at all. It wouldn't keep me from buying a guitar, but I prefer it to be without. I'll suffer through it on a 594, I'm sure :)

I much prefer to have a faux binding than no binding - and I think its better with both top and back....

1Q2v5kW.jpg

I'm not gonna log my vote that I like "no natural edge" versus natural edge, because it really varies--with most of my votes going towards natural edge. BUT... I've gotta say, I just snagged myself a new Custom 22 with one of the "smoke wrap bursts" that fades to black and then continues black on the back & neck, etc. This is a really cool look, and I have to disagree with all the "wrap" finish haters out there. It's got its place, and looks awesome in the right contexts.

I prefer the natural binding, but I’ll take either over the little layers of white plastic other brands do.

I love the maple showing. I have a black burst ce22 with wrap finish that I wish was showing the maple. Its I cool guitar so I accept it the way it is.

Not a fan of the wrap. If it’s a Standard an opaque, that’s totally cool.

Violin Amber is the least offensive of them all though, and I suppose I’d be pleased to own one of those.

Natural maple binding is what sets PRS apart from actual ivory plastic binding guitars, my HB has it, and the concept itself is total class. My HB SGLCUT doesn't though it looks fine, for a mahogany top.

...... but I'm not gonna lie, I like a full wrap finish more, just on the uniqueness level alone.

mgCuelz.jpg

Hmmm...I was thinking about this the other day, and it seemed like the overwhelming majority preferred the natural edge. Looking at how the votes stand as of now, it still seems to be the case.

I like both, really. All of my guitars have the natural binding but I absolutely would not mind having a wrap finish of some sort added to the collection. As others have mentioned, Black Gold Burst looks great with a wrap finish. Back when PRS did Sapphire Smoke Burst, that looked good with a wrap finish, too.

I will say, I prefer natural backs on my guitars, so sometimes a wrap burst doesn't quite jive with a natural back....just kinda depends on the finish, I suppose.

Back