Mans best friend....the thread...l'll start...

I did not realize we had a dog thread here, I've been remiss in posting mine. Bailey, Phineas, and Dixie.

dogs2020.jpg

I’m going to take a wild guess that this pic involved food.

Our dogs look awfully similar. This is Sydney, he’s 14 years old -

Yup, he looks a LOT like Phineas - including the grey starting to look like old man eyebrows :) . Phineas, however, is only 8 - he started greying at 3. Our oldest is actually Dixie, she's 11, and has no grey to speak of - she's the fluffy one in the pic. We rescued her from the shelter last Feb at the age of 10, thinking we'd get a nice calm senior dog - after we got her on thyroid meds she's turned out to be the hyper one of the bunch.

Yup, he looks a LOT like Phineas - including the grey starting to look like old man eyebrows :) . Phineas, however, is only 8 - he started greying at 3. Our oldest is actually Dixie, she's 11, and has no grey to speak of - she's the fluffy one in the pic. We rescued her from the shelter last Feb at the age of 10, thinking we'd get a nice calm senior dog - after we got her on thyroid meds she's turned out to be the hyper one of the bunch.

Aye, we have a 4 year old Spaniel that has boundless energy!

And, I must post a pic of my dear Rosie, who we lost in September 2019

rosie.jpg

Bonnie lass

I think Tripper’s days are numbered. Vet appointment two days ago he’s put on 10 pounds in the last year and the vet said his heart is double the size it used to be. Don’t think he’s going to make it much longer. Maybe a couple months. :(:(

An excellent guess indeed. It's the only way to get 3 dogs to sit still(ish) and look at one spot :).

Phineas looks like he’s on an up-jump!

I think Tripper’s days are numbered. Vet appointment two days ago he’s put on 10 pounds in the last year and the vet said his heart is double the size it used to be. Don’t think he’s going to make it much longer. Maybe av couple months. :(:(

Sorry Howie. Always a really sad time.

I think Tripper’s days are numbered. Vet appointment two days ago he’s put on 10 pounds in the last year and the vet said his heart is double the size it used to be. Don’t think he’s going to make it much longer. Maybe a couple months. :(:(
This sucks, bro. Sending K-9 mojo your way.

The guy we lost last April, Ginger went on thyroid meds at about the same age. He promptly lost 20 pounds, and his thin coat got ultra thick. All he wanted to do was lay in the snow, roll in the snow, sit in the snow....all day. He made it to 16.

The guy we lost last April, Ginger went on thyroid meds at about the same age. He promptly lost 20 pounds, and his thin coat got ultra thick. All he wanted to do was lay in the snow, roll in the snow, sit in the snow....all day. He made it to 16.

The change in Dixie was amazing - and quick! When we got her from the shelter her coat was patchy with bald spots, she stank, and she was pretty lethargic. Also drinking constantly, and woke us up to let her out to pee every 2 hours. Got her on the thyroid meds in the first week, the coat grew in, the constant peeing stopped, and her energy level went through the roof.

So sorry for your loss with Ginger, it's so dang tough to go through.

The change in Dixie was amazing - and quick! When we got her from the shelter her coat was patchy with bald spots, she stank, and she was pretty lethargic. Also drinking constantly, and woke us up to let her out to pee every 2 hours. Got her on the thyroid meds in the first week, the coat grew in, the constant peeing stopped, and her energy level went through the roof.

So sorry for your loss with Ginger, it's so dang tough to go through.
Thanks.
Yeah the change here was night and day, and quick. Like a totally different dog.

Sorry for you loss. We had to say goodbye to our 16 year old collie/setter mix last year, too.

Thank you and my condolencesas well. Its weird just this time last year when she turned 13 I thought she was going to go on forever. By time October rolled around she declined so fast that month I couldn't believe it. She went from a dog my girlfriend had a hard time picking up to as light as a mini dog. At least it was a quick decline and she didnt have to suffer. She'll be forever missed.

Thank you and my condolencesas well. Its weird just this time last year when she turned 13 I thought she was going to go on forever. By time October rolled around she declined so fast that month I couldn't believe it. She went from a dog my girlfriend had a hard time picking up to as light as a mini dog. At least it was a quick decline and she didnt have to suffer. She'll be forever missed.

So sorry indeed, it sucks so hard when they go - glad she didn't suffer, though.

So sorry indeed, it sucks so hard when they go - glad she didn't suffer, though.

Thank you. It's amazing how much these dogs mean to us and enrich our lives. I'm man enough to admit it, teared up some from this. Cherish everyday with em guys. They deserve it!

Thank you. It's amazing how much these dogs mean to us and enrich our lives. I'm man enough to admit it, teared up some from this. Cherish everyday with em guys. They deserve it!

It is amazing. It's been a year and a half since we lost our Rosie, and it still gets to me when I think about her. I didn't get my first dog until 2 months before my 45th birthday, and we still have him - Phineas. Rosie was our second - we weren't planning to get another but we were at an event to fundraise for the local shelter, and Rosie sat down next to my wife and said "I love you" - so clearly we had to adopt her. She was 6 when we adopted her, and we had her for 6 years. So, at the age of 51 I experienced dog loss for the first time...and I don't like it. At least, much like your story, it was quick. We had an end of September heat wave and our air conditioner broke. Rosie started having breathing problems that night overnight, so we took her to stay with a friend the next day, but after one night got the call that she was gone. Felt really bad for the friend having to find her in the morning, 110 pounds of dog under your dining room table wasn't pleasant for her to find in the morning - but luckily she's also a dog person.

3 days after we lost her I went to see some bands perform in downtown Cincinnati, to take my mind off her for a bit - and then they played this song (which I love) and it about killed me:

Back