Mannmade locking tuner issues

zone

Hi all,

I'm having some tuning issues after installing Mannmade locking tuners.

I've installed them on my PRS SVN, and now I'm having major tuning issues.
So much so where I can't play for 30 seconds without it going out of tune.

So - The SVN was professionally setup with the stock SE tuners, and I have never, ever had an issue with tuning.
I decided to replace them with the Mannmade locking tuners because I am a vocalist and it's quicker for me to replace a string during a live show and get back on with it.

The only thing I can think of is that because there are now no string wraps on the tuning peg compared to the stock tuners, the break angle of the string - nut has changed where there is less of an angle over the back of the nut.

So would I be correct in thinking that the break angle is now the issue, and I need to have the nut adjusted properly?

I would appreciate any help - and no I wouldn't like to be lectured on locking vs non locking tuners :)

Thank you.

I’ve checked the thumb screws numerous times and they’re locked solid on the strings.
I’ve got 2 USA models that don’t have this problem with phase locking tuners.

I haven’t changed the string gauge at all.
I’ve been using the same gauge for a long time.

Are all strings going out of tune? Strings properly stretched? IMO, the break angle over the nut wouldn't affect tuning at all.

Are all strings going out of tune? Strings properly stretched? IMO, the break angle over the nut wouldn't affect tuning at all.

Yeah, they’re all stretched as usual.
Same gauge.

I’m not new to locking tuners with the thumbscrews, as I own two USA models which I’ve never had a problem with so I know I’m using the Mannmade tuners correctly.

In saying that, ALL strings are going out of tune.
Like I said, I didn’t have this issue with the stock SE tuners at all, so I’m a bit lost.

Just a suggestion. Could it be that the tuner button screws need a bit of tightening? This is what I would check first...

Have you checked the hex nuts on the front collars? I've always had to re-tighten them about a week after I've changed tuners.

Have you checked the hex nuts on the front collars? I've always had to re-tighten them about a week after I've changed tuners.

Yeah I have. Unfortunately I’ve checked everything.

I put the stock SE tuners back on the guitar with another fresh set of strings and it holds tune perfectly again.

Back