low E string buzz

craig

Hi all!!
i got a problem :(
my low E string (without depressing any fret) get a buzz noise when i play a little stronger (not very hard punch)
but sound of other else frets are okay on low E string as well as other strings are okay
also...i checked truss rod, string height, trem bridge height and saddle height....but the buzz still exist
i measure string height of low E string is around 3/32" at 12th fret....trem bridge height is 2/32"
8th fret height(depress first and 24h fret) is around 0.5mm (allow a A4 paper pass through smoothly)
and first fret is also able to let a A4 paper pass through (not very very smoothly) when 3rd fret has depressed
so that.....what/how can i do to eliminate the buzz noise
replace a nut? or any methods???
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Check the tuner, too. If it happens when e string is open, it might be a vibrating part on the tuner. When you fret, you are removing the tuner from the equation (mostly).

It could also be the nut, since again that gets (mostly) removed when fretting.

I would start by raising the low E saddle a little bit.........
hi markie,
i just wonder my low E string height (3/32" at 12th fret) whether it is too high
because in PRS website suggestion is 2/32"

Check the tuner, too. If it happens when e string is open, it might be a vibrating part on the tuner. When you fret, you are removing the tuner from the equation (mostly).

It could also be the nut, since again that gets (mostly) removed when fretting.
Hi Egads,
i have checked the tuner is okay...my harmonious tune is EBGDAE
there is my nut height picture (following link)....is it necessary to replace the nut???thanks!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3QWWoeaOPxBQ290dUQzb3IzekU/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Hi craig,

When I mentioned the tuner, I actually meant the tuning peg, not whether the guitar would stay in tune. The if the nut that secures the tuning peg to the headstock is loose, it will rattle.

If the string is not passing smoothly through the nut groove, or if the angle leaving the nut to head to the tuning peg is not correct, the string can rattle.

hi markie,
i just wonder my low E string height (3/32" at 12th fret) whether it is too high
because in PRS website suggestion is 2/32"

Depends on what you can live with. I raise my E & A strings slightly, because I tend to hit them a little harder & will get a little fret-buzz now & then. I know some guys that actually like their's set really high.

Egads is talking about the nut that holds the Tuner in place. It can rattle if the nut is not tightened down ............. don't get carried away with tightening it down though.

You may need a hair more relief on your Neck ......... Truss Rod adjustment.

The Nut that your strings pass through, may be worn or filed too deep on your E-string........ would likely require a new nut

yap, i already firmed tuning pegs up.....but buzz still exist when i play a little harder
truss rod also adjusted...but only open low E still buzz...other frets is pretty good
i just worry about the nut....i wonder whether if nut slot of low E string is too deep?
but it still have around 1.5mm gap height from string's bottm to fretboard
is there other method to eliminate buzz without replacing the nut??
i do really not want to replace a new nut....this guitar is just 2-years-old:(

Try pushing down on the string between the nut and the tuning peg. If there is too much angle behind the nut, pushing the string down will force the string onto the backs lope of the nut. If that helps, it might be the nut. I'm no expert, and am just sharing things I've come across.

In addition, I am just curious whether it useful to change string gauge to .10s for eliminating buzz
(now i use .09s)

Well, the nut was cut for 10s (assuming it's a stock core model). The 9s might very well be the problem. If you like 9s and holding down the string behind the nut works, you might want to get a new nut. Since we're all speculating over the interwebs, I definitely suggest you take it to a trusted luthier or send it to the PTC, who will rock it!

Hey guys,
the buzz was reduced very much after changing string gauge to 10s with following adjustment in some setup
also, the sound is adopted via amplifer to me
although buzz still appear when i play very very very strong force....but this condition is very less
i will play this setup for some time and observe it
if buzz appear again even get worse, i will consider to replace a new nut
anyway, THANKS for everyone who gave me any good advice!!

Back