Looks like the PRS amp line has evolved

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
This is an interesting reorganization of the broad offering that PRS has in their amplifiers. Compare that list with the main product page of the website. Out with the old, in with the new...but nothing revolutionary, per se. The entire Dallas line is conspicuously missing. The 2 Channel 'C'; is that now the CAD 'Custom'? A modded MDT...nice. Big changes are afoot. But where's a lower wattage CAD amp? We heard about a 30W HXDA, but could there be a 15W-25W CAD amp in the making, to match the standard line? Rumors were circulating about a Grissom 30W collaboration, could this be that missing link?

It looks like Markie got everything he asked for in an amp...LED footswitch + lead boost. ;) I expect someone to be getting a 'Custom' amp soon. But does it have a Hayboer or Cinemag tranny? Specs state both, leaving me a bit confused. Either way... :cool:

Regardless, the new models look very compelling and something worth making a special trip to Lexington to check out,

Last edited:
So is there an "H" 50 w and now an added "Custom" 50w which is just an upgraded "H"? Just going by this line on the announcements :
Like the 2 Channel “H”, the new 2-Channel Custom features: 6L6 tubes, global reverb, volume, treble, mid, bass and bright switch for each channel, lead master volume, clean master volume, 4, 8 and 16 ohm selection, two output jacks, fixed bias, effects loop (send and receive level controls on back panel), and footswitch (controls channel selection and reverb on/off)

I just don't see anything labeled "Custom 50" on the price sheet. Would like to see the prie of it.

Sorry, Boogie...had to make a change there. Here's a screen shot of what you were talking about, for the sake of discussion:

old_amp_listings.jpg

It's all good, bro! So, the main product page was correct, which I suspected? More than happy to help proof read your copy. ;)

It's still interesting to see how the amp line is maturing. They appear to be making hard-line decisions about what works with the general public and best personifies PRS. And since Doug is full of such good ideas, it has to be tough to choose.

Last edited:
This is an interesting reorganization of the broad offering that PRS has in their amplifiers. Compare that list with the main product page of the website. Out with the old, in with the new...but nothing revolutionary, per se. The entire Dallas line is conspicuously missing. The 2 Channel 'C'; is that now the CAD 'Custom'? A modded MDT...nice. Big changes are afoot. But where's a lower wattage CAD amp? We heard about a 30W HXDA, but could there be a 15W-25W CAD amp in the making, to match the standard line? Rumors were circulating about a Grissom 30W collaboration, could this be that missing link?

It looks like Markie got everything he asked for in an amp...LED footswitch + lead boost. ;) I expect someone to be getting a 'Custom' amp soon. But does it have a Hayboer or Cinemag tranny? Specs state both, leaving me a bit confused. Either way... :cool:

Regardless, the new models look very compelling and something worth making a special trip to Lexington to check out,

As far as I can tell the Dallas line is still there. It's now part of CAD. I got this information from the news link here. http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php...custom_amp_designs_2_channel_custom_amplifier

Last edited:
Disappointed to see the 2 channel "C" go from the standard line-up. I still like mine better than any of the "H" amps, but then again, I like more vintage tones.

If I were to hazard a guess, the modern-voiced amps are selling better right now. That's where the biggest market lies, but it's also where most of the competition gathers. Classic toned amps are esoterica - tweaks of Fender/Marshall/Vox designs that have been done so many times - where PRS has broken away from the pack with some serious innovation. Maybe that's why they've stacked the CAD offering with more classic-toned models? This is all just my personal conjecture. But when I look at both product lines like this...

PRS Amps
2 Channel "H" - modern
PRS 30 - classic
Sweet 16 - classic

PRS SE Amps
SE 20 - modern
SE 30 - modern
SE 50 - modern

PRS CAD Amps
25th Anniversary - classic
2 Channel "Custom" - modern
Blistertone - modern
HXDA - classic
Paul's MDT Custom - classic

...I see balance. That's highly subjective, but to me, the classic offering seems pretty well represented even if the popular 'C' and Dallas models are missing.

It's funny, but it seems to me that the CAD's are more prevalent than the production models. Not only with regard to those in my collection...but, just about every time I see a PRS amp these days, it has some "tweak" or another performed by Doug Sewell to differentiate it from the "production models". I'm beginning to think that there aren't any production models.....just basic platforms that allow the amp team to go wild and have fun.

Some examples:

My Sweet 16+ has been "hot-rodded" to a 40 watt performance engine.
My HX/DA has a "parallel/series" switch on the back that changes the entire amp topography from a plexi platform to a more modern Marshall platform that literally doubles every possible tone you could get from the standard model.
My Dallas has a "tone stack lift" and a "boost" that effectively change the tone dramatically.
My Blistertone might as well be a 1-off...I haven't found too many others floating around.
My MDT is the "410-B Combo" which is a 12 amp run produced through the Guitar shop, Canada and is built on a 4X10 combo platform and has other tweaks to differentiate it from the "typical" MDT

And...from what I read on these forums....most other amps have been tweaked...everything from having boost switches built in to being modified to accept different power tubes. I'm thinking they should change the name of this branch to the "PRS Custom built Amp department".

I'm seriously Gasing for a MDT right now. Would love one, slightly modded so its a bit beefed up in the gain department. Also would love to try a Blistertone, but have it modded for KT-88 tubes.

I'm seriously Gasing for a MDT right now. Would love one, slightly modded so its a bit beefed up in the gain department. Also would love to try a Blistertone, but have it modded for KT-88 tubes.[/QUOTE]

If I am not mistaken, the Blistertone can accommodate a variety of tubes...says so right on the back panel...just needs to be rebiased.

It's funny, but it seems to me that the CAD's are more prevalent than the production models. Not only with regard to those in my collection...but, just about every time I see a PRS amp these days, it has some "tweak" or another performed by Doug Sewell to differentiate it from the "production models". I'm beginning to think that there aren't any production models.....just basic platforms that allow the amp team to go wild and have fun.

Some examples:

My Sweet 16+ has been "hot-rodded" to a 40 watt performance engine.
My HX/DA has a "parallel/series" switch on the back that changes the entire amp topography from a plexi platform to a more modern Marshall platform that literally doubles every possible tone you could get from the standard model.
My Dallas has a "tone stack lift" and a "boost" that effectively change the tone dramatically.
My Blistertone might as well be a 1-off...I haven't found too many others floating around.
My MDT is the "410-B Combo" which is a 12 amp run produced through the Guitar shop, Canada and is built on a 4X10 combo platform and has other tweaks to differentiate it from the "typical" MDT

And...from what I read on these forums....most other amps have been tweaked...everything from having boost switches built in to being modified to accept different power tubes. I'm thinking they should change the name of this branch to the "PRS Custom built Amp department".

I'm not sure any real conclusions can be drawn, as the population of PRS players who regularly post on sites is no doubt a fraction of PRS buyers.

Incidentally, I have a stock HXDA, no mods or custom stuff. Might be interesting to look over the stock at a big retailer like Sweetwater and see what they're ordering in terms of modded amps; I'd bet there would be few of them.

Can someone explain to me what the "mid-shift" and "depth boost on lead channel" would do for me on my 2 channel "C" amp if I had either of those mods done? I am thinking about having the PTC re-house my "C" into a paisley head to match my Original Sewell head, and the PTC noted that these are two other options for ugrades I could consider. Thanks in advance for any help.

If I am not mistaken, the Blistertone can accommodate a variety of tubes...says so right on the back panel...just needs to be rebiased.

Very cool! Now I'm really GASing for one. I'm also curious to try these heads out in 100 watt versions.

I can't imagine gigging any PRS amp in a 100W config. If you let the amp 'breathe' like I do, the output would be excruciating. :s Maybe if I was looking for a really clean tone with tons of headroom...

Doc's comment is pretty accurate. Except for the SE amp line, mods are prevalent in the 'H', 'C', Dallas and every other model that used to be considered 'standard'. And what's up with the Super Dallas being previously considered 'standard'? I know of one dealer with stock and there was exactly ONE in the wild, used, for sale (until I bought it). Even if I only saw 20% of the available SDs, how could the sales chain be filled with 10 pieces of anything? Seems pretty exclusive to me. If it sounds like I'm complaining, you'd be very wrong. ;)

Back