New to PRS amps. So what's the most "Fender" like PRS amp ?

DogPhishHead

I've been playing a Mesa Express 5:25 for a few years now, but thought perhaps a more Fender flavored PRS amp might be nice to look into. Something in a smaller combo with a deep clean channel. The Mesa is a great amp, but at times I feel the EL 84s and Vintage 30 speaker are just too far away from Fender cleans for my style.

A smaller Fendery combo would be the Sweet 16.

Dallas 4x10 is another. Fender made a lot of amps with quite different tones, including the Deluxe Reverb, the Twin, the Super, etc.

I went from a real 1965 Deluxe Reverb to an F50. Big jump up, for sure. But the F50 doesn't sound all that much like a Fender. The EL84 in the Express series is way too compressed for my tastes. I think a lot of the Fender tone comes from the power tubes. Not many amps with 6V6 like the little Fenders, but a lot of 6L6 amps like the big Fenders.

For Deluxe Reverb tone, I recommend a Deluxe Reverb. For better tone, maybe an HXDA.

The custom 50 with 6L6's is very Fenderish. The older version is the "H". That is the one I have and it has really a nice Fender tone.

There's a lot of Tweed influence in the DG30, in my opinion. But you're probably talking Fender Blackface type sounds.

If we're talking about amps in the current PRS line up, go with the recommendations above. As far as any amp in PRS history, the Dallas series is the nod to Fender designs with huge improvements.

Probably just makes sense to buy the real deal - a Fender amp. They are not as expensive as a PRS amp and give you what you are looking for. Then, when you get back to what the PRS provides, add to your obsession with a HXDA :)

The Louis Electric Columbia Reverb is the best-sounding Fender amp i've played. just saying...

Back