Keep, or return?

• Beautiful! Rock on!

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Ew! Swap it out!

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

brettofthejungle

Hi all,

After playing the same Washburn I got when I was 12 (21 years ago), I finally decided it was time to upgrade. Fell in love with a Custom 24 at my local shop. Faded Whale Blue, Figured maple neck, ebony FB....sweet!

Unfortunately the guitar had a not so nice ding on the back edge near the strap nut and it was the last in the store. So they ordered me a new one from another store and had it shipped to me.

I was a little shocked when I opened the case to see that the finish on the top was drastically different than the other, and than any other PRS's I've seen. Frankly, I'm not sure whether to love it or hate it. Is it something unique to enjoy, or low quality wood and something to exchange for another. You certainly don't see anything like this on the 10 tops/artists/private stocks.

Rather than the clean horizontal striations that I'm used to seeing on these guitars, there is a very apparent round wood grain all throughout. Kinda remind me of a terrain map or some mountains or something.

I'm sure I'll hear a bunch of "if you like it keep it responses". I get it. Just looking for the community's opinions here.

Thank you!

Brett

30kdes9.jpg

qs2jvd.jpg

Personally, I like it! Then again, I like blue guitars! If it isn't marked as a 10 top/Artist pack/Private Stock, then it isn't going to have a top like that. This looks like a standard core top to my eyes.

I love it. You mostly see the horizontal, but this is unique. At least in my eyes anyway. If it were me, I'd keep it. Unless it plays like poo, then it would go back.

I voted swap it out, but not because I think it's ugly. It's definitely unique and has that character thing going for it.
I voted that way because it sounds like you aren't 100% happy with it, and for a NGD, you should be. A guitar that you aren't excited about won't get played as much as one that you're in love with.

Also, Faded Whale Blue will come in so many different shades of blue.

I also like it and I think it gives the guitar a cool "vintage" look. I also purchased my first PRS some month ago and mine also does not have a 10 top or higher. Mine is in orange tiger and gives the guitar a unique and for me irresistible rusty look. You can see the guitar in my picture. I love these looks! Although I can understand that if you expected a perfect flames top that you are concerned. I would keep it if it plays well

I voted keep it just to give a thumbs up on that top, not to tell you what to do. Even though it's not a 10 per se, so what it has cool figuring and the vertical grain, tons of character, subtle washy color. Nice.

Who cares what we think though, go back in the store and get the one you fell in love with and have them knock off 10% for the damage or maybe comp you some accessories. I try not to ding up guitars particularly ones that I know are just passing through, but if you've found the 'one' that you are going to play the snot out of for the rest of your career who cares about a ding. Adds character.

You have to like it but I think it is a really nice top. I love the tight vertical grain and sometimes you do get that roundish looking grain where the forearm rests. I have it on two of my guitars and I think it is caused when the bit cut between the vertical layers and hits a flat spot.

C'mon, man... you know how it plays...

Not for him, I don't.

I'm not trying to be flip, it has just been my experience that even within a brand, within a model run, different guitars speak to different people. Even PRS, though the differences in the murmurs may be subtle.

I like it when the wood grain shows through. I prefer imperfect tops because I feel they have more character than something that's 100% uniform.

I think PRS staining method makes the mineral lines stand out more than other manufacturers, and the blue in particular seems to make them stand out amongst other PRS.

That said, if you don't dig it I'd look to exchange. Accept nothing that doesn't meet your full satisfaction.

image_3.jpeg

Where's the button that says, "If you don't know what you like, how the hell am I supposed to know what you should do about it?"

If you expect a ten top, an artist top, or a Private Stock, then that's what you need to buy, right?

I personally love tops with character like that.

But the decision should really be based how it plays, so...how does it play? Do you like it? Keep it. Not speaking to you/not making you enjoy yourself when you play? Return it. Like the way all guitars play? Then...I can't help you.

Fist impressions usually make it hard to fall in love with one that didn't grab you right away. I say get another rather than try to warm up to it. If I'm wrong and you really have no trouble falling in love with it then by all means, keep it.

Honestly, I like the horizontal wood grain. I know it's typically not what you're going to see when you get an artist or a private stock top, but I have a 10 top hollowbody two in Livingston Lemondrop that has some of the vertical wood grain going on. The lighter color really makes it pop. I was honestly pretty excited when I saw it in person because I ordered it from a guitar store way on the east coast. I've bought a few PRS guitars, even an artist package one, and I was the most excited about this top because it makes the guitar unique. Flames curly maple can look the same from guitar to guitar, but when you have that grain in there, that makes it yours. Guaranteed there won't be another top exactly like yours.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! Just to clarify, it's not that it doesn't speak to me or that I don't like it. It was just a surprise compared to what I have seen in pretty much every other PRS. I've seen vertical grain, but the round grain was different. Really just looking for other people's opinions.

I've always really been an acoustic guitar player and have only recently taken on electric, which means, to all those who asked "how does it play"....well it plays like an electric guitar, which is to say, extremely easily! My touch is not so sensitive yet to be able to detect differences in playability from one guitar to another of the same make and model.

I'm really just looking to hear the opinions of others on the top. I realize that you can't see the world through my eyes...I"m looking for your perspectives. Thanks again!

Finding round grain on curved carved wood surfaces is not unusual. It all depends on the orientation of the growth rings to the final carve.

There is nothing "wrong" with the wood.

That maple top just happened to have had just the right orientation to the top carve to produce a continuous circle.

It happens all the time in rounder wooden objects.

3pcs-Japanese-Cuisine-Cedarwood-Wooden-font-b-Bowl-b-font-for-font-b-Rice-b-font.jpg

9b4af1cf1b66ae5c846889444142b20c.jpg

Finding round grain on curved carved wood surfaces is not unusual. It all depends on the orientation of the growth rings to the final carve.

There is nothing "wrong" with the wood.

That maple top just happened to have had just the right orientation to the top carve to produce a continuous circle.

It happens all the time in rounder wooden objects.

3pcs-Japanese-Cuisine-Cedarwood-Wooden-font-b-Bowl-b-font-for-font-b-Rice-b-font.jpg

9b4af1cf1b66ae5c846889444142b20c.jpg

Round wooden objects frighten and confuse me. You should have been there like I was when this dude discovered the "wheel."

Our whole tribe was terrified, so we sacrificed one of the virgins to the gods, just to be on the safe side.

Took us like, I dunno, a week to find a virgin.

Back