Looking for a big neck and frets and fat tone to replace SE HB2

Jeff Kushmerek

Hi there-
After some hand issues last year I switched to using really big necks- I have a Gibson R8 and Heritage 535. If I play these guitars I have no issues. If I play my C shape strat, the issues start again.
I also have a HB2 SE that I don't dig. I swapped the pickups out, but the white binding and the feel make it seem like plastic.

What PRS would be a good fit for me to try out?

Or an older (90’s) Custom 22 with a wide fat neck profile. I have a ‘93 version with these specs and it’s a big, fat but very comfortable neck. Much more so than Gibson R7’s and R8’s…. I also get horrendous hand cramping from Fender C type necks. Gave up on that company years ago…and Gibson as well..

Last edited:
I have generally leaned towards older "wide / fat" neck profiles. All but two of my PRS cu22s have had it. My hands are not all that big, and it is still quite comfortable. I have a "wide / thin" on my current 22. I like it too, but it is a bit of a different feel in the palm. My A40E is also a W/F profile. It is a perfect neck for an acoustic guitar that a flat pick is used on. Look around. The wide fat is all over reverb. You may find that that is "home" for you. Beefy, yet still "fast" if that makes any since.

Or an older (90’s) Custom 22 with a wide fat neck profile. I have a ‘93 version with these specs and it’s a big, fat but very comfortable neck. Much more so than Gibson R7’s and R8’s…. I also get horrendous hand cramping from Fender C type necks. Gave up on that company years ago…and Gibson as well..
I agree with this. I would also say that if you can get the guitar in your hands before buying it to do that. I say that because the older wide fat necks had some variation in them. I have two from 2006 that have the chunkiest wide fat necks I have felt on a PRS guitar. One is a Custom 22 and the other is a swamp ash special. The ones I have are thicker than my 594 and DGT. They are enough thicker that it is very noticeable to me when I first pick them up. I then quickly adjust and play on but those are two of my collection that I actually notice the difference as soon as I grab the guitar.

I agree with this. I would also say that if you can get the guitar in your hands before buying it to do that. I say that because the older wide fat necks had some variation in them. I have two from 2006 that have the chunkiest wide fat necks I have felt on a PRS guitar. One is a Custom 22 and the other is a swamp ash special. The ones I have are thicker than my 594 and DGT. They are enough thicker that it is very noticeable to me when I first pick them up. I then quickly adjust and play on but those are two of my collection that I actually notice the difference as soon as I grab the guitar.
Interesting. I’ve had the same experience. My ‘93 Custom 22 has a great but somewhat larger wide fat neck. It is noticeably larger than the wide fat neck that’s on my ‘22 Santana SE and the neck on my ‘21 WL DGT..
All 3 necks are very comfortable and it only takes a little bit of time to adjust to each….

yeah that's me- I have larger hands and I get cramping

Back