Lets talk bass amps

Very nice haul, Corey!
Thanks Les!
Been playing the Roland some more today with the 408 trying single coil on either pickups and then both.
Since this is a clean amp only, I can really hear the difference.
You pretty much do not hear much of a difference when playing on my other amps with the gain turned up.
Kind of fun using the lower octave setting too, makes the guitar sound much lower.
Cannot wait to get the Kingfisher so I can try out it with both amps.

I have had my eyes on this one, and the reviews are good on both Sweetwater and Amazon.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A100/

A100-xlarge.jpg
I just bought this along with a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5 string on a drunk order a few nights ago. I'll see how it all works out sometime next week.

This brings back memories of outdoor summer festival gigs! I rented a fantastic rig with Guild/Hartke (shows how long ago this was), 1x15 and a 4x10, and a Gallian Krueger ML400 (shooting from the hip on that model #...been too long). It was epic! The weather was beastly hot with no shade, but it rocked the concrete. Don’t get this for an apartment. The suggestions of a 1x10 or 2x10 combo are very wise. That MarkBass 2x10 combo is stunning for its size.

I gigged as a bassist for a while and my rig was a Mark Bass Little Tube 800 head with a couple of different sized cabs, depending on venue - 1x12, 2x10, 1x15. The first thing I learned was that 800 watts of Class D was NOT 800 watts of SS like I thought it was. That amp was ALWAYS too loud. Next, I learned it was clean, clean, and ONLY clean. Even with the tube engaged the amount of grit available was minimal. I also learned that the amp should have been designed with a limiter built in. It would have helped. While I really dug the tone, I was happy to dump that rig.

For reference, I use a Masterbuilt Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman.

These days, I use the Helix with a PA wedge for any bass gigs I would need. Surprisingly, people are digging that rig WAY more than the Mark Bass. I have a bank that is nothing but bass rigs. All the classics are there, straight-up with no effects, then I have "my" tones which then to be based on two amp rigs with a few effects included. Nothing crazy, but I do like modulations with bass. I have a few rigs set-up where I am running clean, dry amps parallel with distorted, effect laden "freak-out" rigs. It's cool.

I gigged as a bassist for a while and my rig was a Mark Bass Little Tube 800 head with a couple of different sized cabs, depending on venue - 1x12, 2x10, 1x15. The first thing I learned was that 800 watts of Class D was NOT 800 watts of SS like I thought it was. That amp was ALWAYS too loud. Next, I learned it was clean, clean, and ONLY clean. Even with the tube engaged the amount of grit available was minimal. I also learned that the amp should have been designed with a limiter built in. It would have helped. While I really dug the tone, I was happy to dump that rig.

For reference, I use a Masterbuilt Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman.

These days, I use the Helix with a PA wedge for any bass gigs I would need. Surprisingly, people are digging that rig WAY more than the Mark Bass. I have a bank that is nothing but bass rigs. All the classics are there, straight-up with no effects, then I have "my" tones which then to be based on two amp rigs with a few effects included. Nothing crazy, but I do like modulations with bass. I have a few rigs set-up where I am running clean, dry amps parallel with distorted, effect laden "freak-out" rigs. It's cool.

Mark, I don’t know if you use the UAD stuff in the studio, or tried it, but lately I’ve had very good luck running the Avalon direct box into the UAD B-15 Portaflex model. The two seem to be a good recording combination.

I’d imagine you get good stuff with the Helix, too.

Mark, I don’t know if you use the UAD stuff in the studio, or tried it, but lately I’ve had very good luck running the Avalon direct box into the UAD B-15 Portaflex model. The two seem to be a good recording combination.

I’d imagine you get good stuff with the Helix, too.

Eventually I'll get there. I was gonna buy an OX, but the app only works on Mac. I am PC. I have done some sessions where the studio was running UAD stuff and it was SWEET. I second the Avalon stuff. I have had a VT-737 and a U-5 forever. The U-5 gets more action, but I still love my VT-737.

One of the things I am digging about the Helix platform is that I can easily bounce between hardware and plug-in version using the same patches. Of course there are tweaks that need to be done to accommodate the studio vs. live monitoring systems, but generally I am in the ball-park. It's cool, because finding a bass player is difficult for a lot of the singer-songwriters I work with. They ALWAYS want to do a release party, so 99% of the time I am doing bass on those gigs. Why not use the guy that played the part, and who has the EXACT same gear/sound used on the record? It's a good thing, you know? Helix really helps with that.

My Hartke is in year 5, and still kicking it. Theater music, small clubs, practice, with every bass we plug into it. My son ikes it too.

Back