Les Paul tone for 594 bridge..?

An R8 is one of those you really have to do some homework on to make sure that's what you're after, especially if you're concerned with resale value because they're so over-shadowed by the R9. It wouldn't be my own LP preference

I had a choice between a mint 2016 R8 and the DC594, I got the 594. I knew I'd regret not getting it if I took the LP and I've had too many misses with LPs.

The neck was mahoosive, it was playable, but I instantly realised why necks got smaller over the years. Add that giant neck with small frets and it wasn't what I'd call a great player, to be honest. The Eric Johnson Strat has XJ frets - the neck is huge, so you need to balance that. Mine is fast, easy playing. That LP didn't have that, so I didn't take it.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m a huge PRS fan, but I’ve never had a miss with LP reissues (non-Custom Shop is different story).

Just wasn't easy to play, I'd want to refret it. For €3,500 it's got to be perfect.

you have no heart.

i’ve had bad to great gibson guitars, not recently of course.
That heart remark is fatuous. There is no one brand that gets it wrong or right all the time. I have great difficulty with esoteric comments that fly in the face of reason. You cannot put love and Gibson in the same line of syllogisms. I have and continue to know love from my extraordinary sons and a lovely woman. That is here and now, not a romantic rendering of the past. Musicians and artists have always used what’s available to make their art. And we are better off for it.

Last edited:
I played nothing but Gibson through music school. I’d been out and about a few years before Paul sold his first guitar. The Gibson’s I owned were wildly inconsistent in tone and quality. There was no mojo in them to my ears. I can’t hear mojo. I can hear proper intonation, balanced sound, and different pickups. Not to mention tremolos that actually work. Why should a PRS sound “like” a Les? Take a similar formula, use better ingredients, and listen to what you get. It can supersede the original on a consistent basis. The word is consistent. By the way, the last Gibson was sold 10 years ago. It was a 1965 L7C with an original dearmond I bought in 1969. After two fret jobs, that wouldn’t stay in tune. McDonald’s has been making hamburgers longer than any other chain. Are they better? They must have mojo.
Agreed. I don't believe in mojo or magic things too. Everything we hear from guitars are all scientific.

About 3 mins in - that’s the tone I’m after. It sounds totally outrageous.

I’m totally and utterly convinced that I can get the 594 there with EQ. I know I can.

It needs a fatter pickup for the bridge, more output than stock.

Sounds like a little push in the low mids is needed, but that high end needs to remain. You can’t blame someone for trying to clone that sound; it’s great.

Last edited:

About 3 mins in - that’s the tone I’m after.

I’m totally and utterly convinced that I can get the 594 there with EQ. I know I can.

It needs a fatter pickup for the bridge, more output than stock.

Sounds like a little push in the low mids is needed, but that high end needs to remain. You can’t blame someone for trying to clone that sound; it’s great.
I’m thinking 57/08.

Here’s perhaps a different take on things: A good parametric EQ with a sweepable midrange control would allow you to bring out tones and overtones you feel should be enhanced, as well as raise or lower the volume hitting the front of the amp, would work with all of your guitars and amps as needed from time to time, etc.

There are a handful of excellent ones on the market, and they’re probably in the same price ballpark as installing new pickups.

You could even try them in the store with your own guitar and amp, without having to swap pickups in and out of your guitar. If a particular one works, you’re in business, and if not, don’t buy it.

I’m not a player looking for a pure LP tone with my 594s, but I use an EQ pedal to do other things in my studio, and find it very handy. I use the Pettyjohn Filter, but again, I’m not looking to do LP tones, so I can’t say whether it’d be good for that use in particular.

The Eventide H9 has a preset called “Leo to Les” that can make a Strat sound close enough to a Lester that it’ll shock you (as well as a “Les to Leo” preset), so I’m pretty sure that a judicious choice of EQ can be effective.

EDIT: With a parametric EQ, what you do is turn up the lower mid or mid frequency band, sweep the EQ to find the frequency you want to hear, then lower the volume on that band until it’s at the level you want. Very.simple and effective once you find the frequency you want to bring up or down with the sweep.

Last edited:
Here’s perhaps a different take on things: A good parametric EQ with a sweepable midrange control would allow you to bring out tones and overtones you feel should be enhanced, as well as raise or lower the volume hitting the front of the amp, would work with all of your guitars and amps as needed from time to time, etc.

There are a handful of excellent ones on the market, and they’re probably in the same price ballpark as installing new pickups.

You could even try them in the store with your own guitar and amp, without having to swap pickups in and out of your guitar. If a particular one works, you’re in business, and if not, don’t buy it.

I’m not a player looking for a pure LP tone with my 594s, but I use an EQ pedal to do other things in my studio, and find it very handy. I use the Pettyjohn Filter, but again, I’m not looking to do LP tones, so I can’t say whether it’d be good for that use in particular.

The Eventide H9 has a preset called “Leo to Les” that can make a Strat sound close enough to a Lester that it’ll shock you (as well as a “Les to Leo” preset), so I’m pretty sure that a judicious choice of EQ can be effective.

EDIT: With a parametric EQ, what you do is turn up the lower mid or mid frequency band, sweep the EQ to find the frequency you want to hear, then lower the volume on that band until it’s at the level you want. Very.simple and effective once you find the frequency you want to bring up or down with the sweep.

I use an Orange Two Stroke, you can dial just about anything in or out. Orange pedals are kind of chunky but it works really well and it's not expensive :)

I had a choice between a mint 2016 R8 and the DC594, I got the 594. I knew I'd regret not getting it if I took the LP and I've had too many misses with LPs.

The neck was mahoosive, it was playable, but I instantly realised why necks got smaller over the years. Add that giant neck with small frets and it wasn't what I'd call a great player, to be honest. The Eric Johnson Strat has XJ frets - the neck is huge, so you need to balance that. Mine is fast, easy playing. That LP didn't have that, so I didn't take it.

If those were my choices I'd take the 594 too. I kind of did the same thing when I wanted a second electric, I already had a very nice 2016 LP Standard and I figured I one up it with something. Never been a trem or strat guy so I was looking for another carved top fixed bridge and PRS was one of the choices. A Historic LP was another choice but as much as I respect a well earned heritage I'm not really into paying a whole lot extra for historical accuracy over newer and better technology.

I looked at PRS and the 594 was getting rave reviews and was right up my alley for the music I want to play. I window shopped every 594 I could find for a couple of weeks before finding mine. When I went to pick it up I had the chance at a nice R9 for a great price but the 594 is what I went home with and I've never regretted it. My 594 was a GAS killer for me.

Fast forward a year and by pure chance I happen on the Reverb ad with my 2018 Modern LP Custom. It's 2:30am and like a man possessed I leap into action. I didn't even know why I had to get that guitar, I just did, so I called up the seller at 2:30 on a Sunday morning. It's not as bad as it sounds, he's a friend of mine and I've bought most of my guitars from him. He doesn't get up until noon so I knew he'd be awake and he was. Long story short if I'd have waited until daybreak I'd have missed that guitar and it's a perfect fit for me.

My 594 trumped my LP Standard in a lot of ways but it also cost twice as much so it ought to. With my Custom they're pretty much on equal footing, and they should be because they're both $5k guitars. There is a difference you can feel tho and it's not something that can be measured. It's not magic, it's just something felt that isn't seen or heard. My LP Custom has that vintage vibe like an old violin, it's warm and homey feeling, where as my 594 is very cool and feels more like a precision instrument. Both were flawless on arrival right down to the factory setups.

The reason I need both of those guitars is because one appeals to my brain and one appeals to my heart and it doesn't take a genius to know which is which, in fact too much intellect just might get in the way :)

Back