Les Paul tone for 594 bridge..?

GavQuinn

Hi Guys,

I pulled the trigger on the McCarty 594, got it last week and I love it. It was a choice between it and a used R8 from 2017. The PRS beat the R8 in every way except for the bridge pickup, all on 10, overdrive open ringing rock chords.

The voice is very close, the 594 really does sound very like an old Gibson. I've played a few vintage Gibsons and none were 'hot', they just sounded amazingly detailed and had a great voice.

Now then - To get the 594 that last inch across the line into classic LP territory, I really think that I can use an EQ'd or more powerful bridge humbucker to give that 'ERRP' in the mids. I’m convinced the EQ could be got there.

It’s that ‘above lower mids to middle mids’ section that I’m talking about. When you play an open G chord there’s a ‘kerrang’ in the mids; that’s the Les Paul tone.

Any ideas? It won’t need too much power in my experience, maybe something that’s just more powerful, rather than hot, like a Monty’s PAF or a Bare Knuckle Mule?

If it came with LTs, then a 58/15 is a good shout

I've not read yet what magnet is in the 85/15 and 58/15 humbuckers, anyone?

but the older 57/08 sets are alnico 2 magnet, so are the pearly gates and bare knuckles stormy mondays, for comparison
The mule is an alnico 4, so is OX4, but it can come with A5 too.

I've had a mule set wouldn't say they felt particularly powerful, but not a/b'd against a 58/15. Some folk on here have installed them in a 594, and also 59/09 bridge too, best bet to ask them

I’ve had the Mule, it’s more powerful than this LT for sure. It’s not hot, but it’s definitely got more punch and output.

I’d say that the 58/15 are Alnico 2 also. An Alnico 5 is pretty damn bright, you’d know it. There’d be a real edge to the highs.

Also, a 58/15 is hard to get; there’s a lot of choice on the aftermarket.

+1 for the Mule!

I went with Riff Raff for my SC594 and it's great, just maybe an tiny bit thin at times, but that's ideal in a mix.

Mules in my hollowbody ii have been a big improvement, for my use anyway.
I've been gigging then lots lately and they just work so well across a range of amps/styles/gain.

Edit: I have 57/08 in my G Les Paul.. They are another good option sticking with PRS. Better than 58/15 in my opinion

I went with Riff Raff for my SC594 and it's great, just maybe an tiny bit thin at times, but that's ideal in a mix.

I had thought of that pickup on several occasions. Not many people seem to make a late PAF, when they changed the winding and mags.

Is it bright? I always imagined that it was the AC/DC tone, like it was real twangy and ideal for a mid heavy, darker guitar.

When you say thin; do you mean less bottom end thump when chugging...? For example...?

I did a little pick up swapping on my first go round with the 594. Top 3 were the 59/09, Klein Epic '59, and Thro-bak PG102 (Peter Green). Thro-bak was a little on the pricey side.

I have a PRS that is MY PRS LP. It is an SCT. The point is I love the guitar but did not prefer the pups that were in. I bought a Burst Bucker 1&2 . The #1 was the perfect neck but the bridge #2 was still not hot enough for me so I put a Suhr Aldrich there and now its perfect.

Make it your own but keep the original pups in case you want to part with it in the future. You can then put it back to stock.

Always found the 59/09 a bit fat in the midrange, really.

To my ears and hands it’s not really a PAF at all, it’s more modern sounding.

I really don’t want anything too hot, just something a bit more powerful than the underwound 58/15 LT.

I did a little pick up swapping on my first go round with the 594. Top 3 were the 59/09, Klein Epic '59, and Thro-bak PG102 (Peter Green). Thro-bak was a little on the pricey side.

You're tellin' me my man, there's no way I'd even consider a Throbak without having tried them first. Too expensive.

Since you have the 594 there, try changing the height of the bridge pickup first.
Maybe the difference you heard is just from that...

Before you buy anything, try lowering the pole pieces and raising the bridge. PRS Pickups are much more sensitive to height adjustment than any others I’ve ever used. Remember, both pickups were the same in the old guitars. We’re conditioned by lesser parts on other brands to think we need to replace everything. If you can’t find the sweet spot after adjusting a few times, have at it. I like 57/08’s .

Since you have the 594 there, try changing the height of the bridge pickup first.
Maybe the difference you heard is just from that...

I already tried that, tried the pole screws too... Raised it up - the pickup hasn't got the output. I know it doesn't...

Before you buy anything, try lowering the pole pieces and raising the bridge. PRS Pickups are much more sensitive to height adjustment than any others I’ve ever used. Remember, both pickups were the same in the old guitars. We’re conditioned by lesser parts on other brands to think we need to replace everything. If you can’t find the sweet spot after adjusting a few times, have at it. I like 57/08’s .

I've tried that too, it made the pickup a bit warmer but high end content isn't an issue with my rig.

It's output that I want increased.

Anyone able to relate the 57/08 to a Mule...?

Always found the 59/09 a bit fat in the midrange, really.

To my ears and hands it’s not really a PAF at all, it’s more modern sounding.

I really don’t want anything too hot, just something a bit more powerful than the underwound 58/15 LT.

Yeah, you're right about the 59/09. Those are right in my wheelhouse, though.

TBH, the Klein's sounded awesome in the SC594 I put them in.

I have both a 594 and LP Custom. Pickups on both are roughly 8k. Just using settings on the amp, tone/volume on the guitars and an EQ pedal I can make them sound so close to identical that you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a blind comparison. I don’t tho, because I like setting them up to sound their best individually. In my mind, trying to get them to be clones when they’re not kind of defeats the point of owning both.

I personally LOVE the 58/15LTs, but I like slow syrupy blues and classic rock stuff. I pretty much never have anything cranked up to 10 because it just doesn’t sound that good to me. Both my tone and volume knobs are usually around 5. I like the middle ground because it lets me adjust things both ways. I also set my pickups the same way, I like them just high enough to pick up what’s there. I don’t really want them adding anything “extra” because it’s usually just unwanted noise. I play mostly clean tho and really like my cleans to be pristine.

I bought my 594 to compliment my LP, not to clone or replace it. It’s fun having both set up to their individual best and going back and forth comparing them. For me neither can replace the other, they have different strengths and weaknesses and I like it that way :)

I bought my 594 to compliment my LP, not to clone or replace it. It’s fun having both set up to their individual best and going back and forth comparing them. For me neither can replace the other, they have different strengths and weaknesses and I like it that way :)

That's well for you! I can't afford another Les Paul.

As I see it, a man's spent a lot of time and effort trying to replicate a vintage Les Paul's tone in a modern format. That's why I and many others like the 594. I want that sound from the bridge pickup. I don't mind cloning that sound at all.

All the other tones, strangely, I prefer the PRS.

Hey Gav I think you are in Ireland?

The EU PRS 57/08 stock is gone (was looking recently), but there are some with retailers eg dv247 has them in UK, bridge is 201squid

Back