Leaving The Galaxy

Thats amazing Les! I really dig it!!! To me that's the sonic equivalent of Jackson Pollock hanging in his studio on a Satuday aftenoon having a drink and painting. Kudos!!!

Totally dig! I like the little textural details, like using both big strings and percussion as the report in the call-respond-reports in the early parts. It emotes in a way consistent with a sci-fi scene, so mission accomplished. (Says someone who just finished the most recent season of Lost in Space)
*two thumbs up!*

Thanks guys!

Sounding nice!

Kinda reminds me of Gustav Holst.

I take that as a high compliment - I think the reason it does is that I doubled the low brass with low strings for the melody part. Though it’s not an uncommon thing to do when writing orchestral music, Holst did it very well, especially in his “The Planets,” and carried several melodies that way.

My piece is a little more dissonant than Holst’s writing, but of course, I’m just some dood, and he was Gustav F@!#ing Holst!

I did this little thing in one evening. I think if I spent more time developing it, the result would be much improved, so I may do that and turn it into a longer piece. Last night I just wanted to take a break from an ad project I’m working on and do something a bit different.

It’s just a sketch at this point, but I’m warming up to the idea of working more on it. I may do that while normal people watch the Super Bowl. Hmmm.

The only way to get a decent piece written is to start somewhere. So this is that somewhere. It’s a start. :)

Last edited:
This piece was inspired by the Cixen Liu series, Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest, Etc. It's a wonderful science fiction series.

I call it Leaving the Galaxy.

It's a quick orchestral sketch set to imaginary film imagery. I felt like messing around with the idea tonight.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/leaving-the-galaxy
Definitely got a brainy sci-fi mood.

Interesting tidbit about the Cixin Liu novels is that he recommends you read them in English if possible, bc the translator moved around some pieces that make the chronology make more sense - the author had buried them in the middle to avoid censorship due to their critique of the Cultural Revolution.

Definitely got a brainy sci-fi mood.

Interesting tidbit about the Cixin Liu novels is that he recommends you read them in English if possible, bc the translator moved around some pieces that make the chronology make more sense - the author had buried them in the middle to avoid censorship due to their critique of the Cultural Revolution.

I didn’t realize that about the Liu novels, but I wondered how he got all that in about the troubles the character in the first novel had!

So far I’ve read all of them except the latest one.

For the last few weeks I’ve been reading a pretty slow history book about the early Medieval period; it’s chock full of facts, but the author takes on the period from AD 400-1000, and there’s a lot to cover, which he does thoroughly, including references to archaeological sites, but he is also taking everything on geographically from Scandinavia and England to France, Germany, Eastern Europe, The Balkans, The Baltic’s, Russia, Italy, the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Empire, Syria, Palestine, North Africa, etc.

I usually read a history book in a couple of nights, but this one’s been a slog.

2 minutes didn't seem long enough!

I was trying to make it longer, and stretch out the beginning tonight, but I basically messed it up, and made it worse. To add insult to injury, I saved the file as I went, meaning, I didn’t save the original. No backup because, well, you know, I didn’t have a client and figured I was making improvements...and nothing ‘important’ was involved so uh...

Hahaha! What a screwup I am! o_O

I was trying to make it longer, and stretch out the beginning tonight, but I basically messed it up, and made it worse. To add insult to injury, I saved the file as I went, meaning, I didn’t save the original. No backup because, well, you know, I didn’t have a client and figured I was making improvements...and nothing ‘important’ was involved so uh...

Hahaha! What a screwup I am! o_O

No worries! We have this version which is brilliant.

Perhaps 2 minutes is the perfect amount. Leaves you wanting more.

This reminds me of some philosophy:

1. Sometimes you are playing or practicing and everything is just magical, everything is going well. You should enjoy this for a few minutes, but then stop. Savor the moment. Don't keep going. This way you can come back to it later with this feeling.

2. Never stop "work" at some kind of end point. Always stop when you are in the middle of something. It makes getting started the next day much easier, and you are more motivated as the task is kinda already laid out for you.

These seem to go against our nature, but when I have tried this, it's always worked out very well.

So maybe it's not the duration we wanted, but it's the duration we needed. It needed. Let it live as-is and inspire future endeavor!

No worries! We have this version which is brilliant.

Perhaps 2 minutes is the perfect amount. Leaves you wanting more.

This reminds me of some philosophy:

1. Sometimes you are playing or practicing and everything is just magical, everything is going well. You should enjoy this for a few minutes, but then stop. Savor the moment. Don't keep going. This way you can come back to it later with this feeling.

2. Never stop "work" at some kind of end point. Always stop when you are in the middle of something. It makes getting started the next day much easier, and you are more motivated as the task is kinda already laid out for you.

These seem to go against our nature, but when I have tried this, it's always worked out very well.

So maybe it's not the duration we wanted, but it's the duration we needed. It needed. Let it live as-is and inspire future endeavor!

That’s a great bit of advice, and I’m going to take it!

Back