Have you found "THE One"??? I think I have....

-

How about the rest of the recording signal chain? What amp and cab? What mic, mic placement and preamp?

There are two guitar passes in the mix. One is relatively clean, the second is a little dirtier.

A picture being worth 1000 words (though I of course also added those, too!), here’s a shot of the recording setup I used that day. The HXDA I recorded is the black amp on the left. Note that at the time I took the pic, I’d already moved the room mic a little closer to the amps than it was when I recorded the tracks. You might have to zoom in to see the mic placement on the HXDA - the mic is suspended from the left arm of the dual-boom stand:

wuFw5Ka.jpg

The complete signal chain is:

PS20 Ltd >> Pettyjohn Lift Buffer >> Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2 used as a near-unity-gain color tool, not to add dirt >> Pettyjohn Filter EQ >> Suhr Alexa Chorus (only on the more overdriven track) >> Eventide H9 (ducked delay) >> Eventide H9 #2 (plate reverb) >> HXDA through PRS Big Mouth 212 cab with V30s >> Audix i5 microphone about a foot away from the speaker, with the mic at an angle pointing toward the speaker cone. The i5 pairs up well with the combination of Plexi sound and V-30.

On both guitar passes I cut a second simultaneous track with a Rode NTR ribbon used as a room mic about 7-8 feet back, facing the amp a few degrees off-axis on a boom stand, with the mic raised to about ear level. This was blended into the mix, the idea being to capture the way the amp sounded to me in the room. Seems to work. I like the Rode for this purpose, because its frequency response is more linear than most other ribbon mics - the only caveat with this mic is that it has a big, heavy transformer, so you need a very sturdy stand.

I flipped the phase on each room mic track to reduce phase cancellation between the two mics after listening to the blended tracks both ways.

Both mics were plugged into a Universal Audio Apollo with a Helios Type 69 mic preamp plugin on each channel >> Logic Pro.

During mixdown, I used a little LA-2A compression and a little EQ on the top end to roll off some of the harshness the LA-2A seemed to overly accentuate. There are Manley EQ and Elysia Alpha compressor plugins on the overall mix, followed by the Limitless limiter. Of course, every recording is different, but these worked for this particular track.

Being the lazy type, I usually have the close-mics set up as you see them in the pic all the time, so if an idea strikes, I can lay it down quickly. The room mic comes and goes, and of course, I use different mics for different purposes.

Also, I prefer to place a dynamic mic a foot to 18 inches (or more) away from the speaker, to capture the way the cab actually sounds a little better. I get the whole “mic on top of the grill” thing, and recorded that way for a long time, but gradually it dawned on me that no one actually listens to an amp with their ear up against the speaker. Even a foot or more is obviously too close, but I want to control the room tone a little bit, and find that a decent solution is to blend a room mic track and adjust to approximate what I want.

As a side note, I created the tone mostly to test out a new pedalboard, and then got inspired to create a little demo tune.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know they made those, that's rad!

Yeah, keeps the room from getting cluttered with so many mic stands! Works as part of their Orbit system of mic stands. It’s very heavy-duty, much weightier and more ruggedly built than other mic stands. I doubt you could tip a Triad-Orbit mic stand over unless you were purposely trying to do so. I have a few of their stands and booms; this one’s also great for miking, say, a piano, or putting two mics on a speaker cab.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details!!! I'm also running an Apollo rig. I don't like the sound of my room, so I've been using the UAD OX.

Last question: You're running both the H9s in front of the amp? Does the HXDA have a send/return loop?

Thanks for the details!!! I'm also running an Apollo rig. I don't like the sound of my room, so I've been using the UAD OX.

Last question: You're running both the H9s in front of the amp? Does the HXDA have a send/return loop?

For some reason, the back half of my room, where the amps are, needs only bass traps, and there’s one behind the HXDA that doesn’t show in that pic. The front of the room, where the monitors are located, needed quite a bit of treatment; I used 7 Real Traps mini-traps and 2 Real Traps micro traps in that part of the room near the workstation.

And yes, I run the H9s in front of the amp; the HXDA doesn’t have a loop, but I’m not a fan of loops. I like the organic sound I get with effects in front of the amp. I don’t use the loop on the Lone Star, even though it has one. No right/wrong here, just a matter of preference.

Here’s a shot of the workstation area, with the Real Traps; as you can see, it’s a pretty simple setup. There’s a rack facing the workstation area under the larger keyboard as well:

dOb1fNB.jpg

Last edited:
hum.... I cannot say that any of mine are "the one" that makes me neglect the others. The PRS takes it's turn in the Hercules as do the others for a couple of weeks at a time. At heart, I'm a strat guy, loving the quack and the crystal, but when I want some heft, some style, and something to look at other than a strat, it's the PRS. I sometimes play it, then recline it on the couch with me and just look it over, marveling at the exquisite build quality that only comes from a very few. I'm very cautious with it however and barely breath on it, it was a gift afterall, and the gifter is as covetous of it as I am. ;-) Friends will invariably want to grab it over my Fenders or My Gretsch. Hawaii has a somewhat love affair with PRS. Most of the Jazzers and working guys seem to either want one or have one. As with many things, out here the snob angle takes over and if it's an SE or similar it's just a guitar, but Maryland made is a different animal that is highly prized.

My #1 is my McCarty Artist with the solid Brazilian RW neck. The 58/15LT pickups just put it over the top. The only guitar that ‘could’ challenge it is my modified DC3.

I recently found out my DC3 must have had a personality change since it got new strat pickups. It’s now a jealous lil mofo, talking bout ‘do you love me? Yeah? how much? Ok. If that’s true then why is that 408 still hanging around all outside of its case and shyt? I’m loud now. I gots decent output now. I even got myself a cool new pickguard. For YOU. Why is he still over there, outside his case, waiting to be touched?’

I was caught off guard by the entire conversation (I had thought we were ALL cool) and made a drastic decision. Now my 408 is GONE.

:confused:

As long as the DC3 doesn’t start throwing shady looks at my McCarty... cause then there’s gonna be a sitcheeaachin.

This reminds me of the time I came home from work to find my 12 week old Labrador puppy at my computer deleting all the pics of my previous dog :)

Back