Have you found "THE One"??? I think I have....

The only other guitar I have owned that has been just gushed songs and music is my Ibanez 540S.

I love my PRS guitars, but my FujiGen-made 1992 Ibanez HSS S540 has been my #1 for 26 years. That guitar can cover a lot of bases. Even Lenny from the PTC had to admit that it is a special guitar.

I love my PRS guitars, but my FujiGen-made 1992 Ibanez HSS S540 has been my #1 for 26 years. That guitar can cover a lot of bases. Even Lenny from the PTC had to admit that it is a special guitar.

The Ibanez S really is a "do all" guitar. I had mine out a couple weeks ago on a session. It was the ONLY guitar I own that was giving the right sound for the track I was working on. The producer and the "artist" (person who's track I was playing on - I use the term lightly, lol) were aghast at the neon yellow pointy guitar, but they were pleased with the end takes.

Ironically, the song was a pop track where I needed a clean, tight sound with a balanced frequency response. The Ibanez just gave the tone naturally. I used the neck pickup (single coil) and the bridge pickup split into a Roland JC77 amp. PERFECT, generic '80s tone. I use the term "generic", but that tone was anything BUT generic. It was hard to nail UNTIL I grabbed the Ibanez!!

Pic:

OK, so back to the topic for just a moment...

I’ve said often that I don’t have a “the one,” but it dawned on me after listening to a bunch of stuff I’ve recorded that I do have one guitar that, no doubt in my mind, can achieve the most incredible range of gorgeous sounds of any guitar I’ve ever had, or even ever played.

It’s not because the guitar is pretty - hell, they’re all pretty at Chez Les. I think it’s the specs and the huge range of tones I can get with it that combine to make for greatness. I’ve never played anything else that can even get close to the beautiful, crisp, yet also full and warm sounds that come out of this thing!

If disaster struck, I could probably replace my other electric guitars with other PRSes of the same models and be reasonably happy (I hope I never have to!).

But this one...no. I’m sure it’s that rara avis. Irreplaceable.

Specs: 594 scale length. Thicker mahogany/thinner maple. Paul’s pickups in the neck and bridge positions, with a Narrowfield 57/08 in the middle. Gen III PS trem with locking saddles. Madagascar rosewood fretboard.

I got really, really lucky with this one. I’m not calling it “the one,” because I’ve got others I really love playing. So maybe it’s “Most Likely To Succeed.” ;)

ptKq9zh.jpg

THE ONE!!!!!!!! The Metaphysical Music Maker.....

Just curious if those are stock pickups with covers added, or aftermarkets? Or did earlier models come with covered pickups? I can't remember. EDIT: OK, earlier ones did come with covered pickups.

And yours is a beauty, in a classic color, no less!

Thanks, man!! That's quite the compliment consider your impeccably gorgeous PS 20th!!!! How often do you use the middle pickup? I have tossed back-n-forth about have one added to mine....or better yet, buy a 2nd PG to be modded, lol...

Just curious if those are stock pickups with covers added, or aftermarkets? Or did earlier models come with covered pickups? I can't remember. EDIT: OK, earlier ones did come with covered pickups.

I see your edit, but yeah, the older ones came with covered #7s. The new ones come with the 85/15s. I GREATLY prefer the #7s. There is just something about them that sings to me - plus the split sounds good. The all mahogany construction with the #7s just gives me a very creamy, violin-like sustain for lead playing. Plus, when I go medium gain, the crunchiness still has a clarity mixed with a fatness that I love. Going Twin Reverb-clean, there is still enough body to keep the sound full, then if I want/need a "thinner" sound, pull the tone pot....BOOM - clean and thin, easily achieved.

How often do you use the middle pickup? I have tossed back-n-forth about have one added to mine....or better yet, buy a 2nd PG to be modded, lol...

I use it a lot! Not only is it the nicest sounding middle pickup I’ve had on its own, especially for rhythm work, the 2&4 out of phase positions are awfully cool.

So...to go with my post about the oh-so-nice tones I'm getting with PS20, I'll post a clip that I think I've posted before; this is PS20, one track neck, one track bridge, both through the HXDA and modulation and delay pedals (hence the title). No dirt pedals. Just used the volume control on the guitar to vary the gain.

Forgive the craptastic playing, but at least it's an original piece, so I got that goin' ;). Maybe my ideal, "This is what I hear in my head," tone so far:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-4

So...to go with my post about the oh-so-nice tones I'm getting with PS20, I'll post a clip that I think I've posted before; this is PS20, one track neck, one track bridge, both through the HXDA and modulation and delay pedals (hence the title). No dirt pedals. Just used the volume control on the guitar to vary the gain.

Forgive the craptastic playing, but at least it's an original piece, so I got that goin' ;). Maybe my ideal, "This is what I hear in my head," tone so far:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-4
-

How about the rest of the recording signal chain? What cab? What mic, mic placement and preamp?

Last edited:
Back