Learning pentatonics, any good sources to use?

filipmo

I recently went back to playing my guitar, I'm loving it. I've started looking up pentatonics as I'd love to improvise to some background music, but I can't find any good places with all the information neatly served, is it just me?? what's your experience been like in looking for this?? What did you use and what do you recommend?
Keep on rockin :cool:

I recently went back to playing my guitar, I'm loving it. I've started looking up pentatonics as I'd love to improvise to some background music, but I can't find any good places with all the information neatly served, is it just me?? what's your experience been like in looking for this?? What did you use and what do you recommend?
Keep on rockin :cool:

YouTube works for me, and there is plenty. Just begin with small helpings. I can hear what is being demonstrated, see what is demonstrated, and the right ones will take slow runs. Print yourself a scale chart and sing along....

I hear people talk about Justin guitar as a good source but I have not personally looked at his stuff. i was under the impression his stuff we real basic but i'm sure at some point he gets into pentatonic scales??? Also, I just saw and email last week that Fender (their lessons service) did a live stream talking about pentatonics. Check into that. It might be a free live stream (on demand).

Some of the guitar teachers I've checked out on YouTube are Michael Palmisono. (I bought a lesson series from him on jam play about jam band improvisation. But it's more about getting away from playing pentatonic scales and playing chord tone intervals and making melodies.) But he's got his own site on guitargate.com. I didn't see anything pentatonic specifically but looks like he's got lessons on Blues. I have seen another youtuber Stich method that has a "never lost pentatonic" system. I haven't dug into it as i'm trying to rely less on the pentatonic, but I think he's got a whole paid series on the pentatonic scales all over the neck and how to connect them. I stumbled upon these two guys because they had some focus on jam band music although Stich has a lot of stuff on Blues I believe as well.

Marty Music is another youtuber I've seen all over. He seemed to have both beginner and more advanced lessons on YouTube. I'm sure he's got his own paid site but not sure if anything specific to pentatonic. but check all these guys out. I'm sure there are more but these are some of the guys i've seen all over YouTube.

Check out David Wallimann’s Guitar DNA: Pentatonics on Truefire. I was stuck in the typical Box 1 Box 2 rut until I bought this guys course. Starts with breaking the pentatonic rut , major and minor, narrow modulation zones, through to modal and custom pentatonics etc. A lot of good stuff in there. I used a 20% discount voucher to buy the course, IMO worth the money, course has helped me a lot to stop being boxed.

I just saw a Guitar Player with "Learn Pentatonics" or something to that effect on the cover on Reverb.

Check out David Wallimann’s Guitar DNA: Pentatonics on Truefire. I was stuck in the typical Box 1 Box 2 rut until I bought this guys course. Starts with breaking the pentatonic rut , major and minor, narrow modulation zones, through to modal and custom pentatonics etc. A lot of good stuff in there. I used a 20% discount voucher to buy the course, IMO worth the money, course has helped me a lot to stop being boxed.

Interested. How much did it cost you?

Interested. How much did it cost you?

No idea what the cost of that course is, but TrueFire is running a Christmas promotion now. They have some $5 downloads - no idea if it'll pop up in there.

You and @KevJames should PM - I believe TrueFire still offers a nice promotion if you use a referral code. The referer and referee both get benefits.

I'm 100% self taught and went through a phase to learn and fix my bad habits through web based courses.

Justins guitar is really good lessons, tools, and its free. The app isn't free but the lessons are on his website. He does start out very basic but graduates the courses up levels mirrioring education grades. He's working on higher level modules too. His blues section was intersting and helpful. So is his practice regiment organizer and scheduler. Its reslly a grest course that I'd recommend, especially beginners.

Marty guitar isn't bad but sign up for his free trial lessons and be prepared to be spammed to buy worse than anyone ever has in your life. It was so bad I avoid clicking on anything of his again.

Back