Labeling Artist guitars

No, I understand that. My point is my friends older one that has the MOP all around the neck and headstock I can understand it sets it apart and makes it worth that much more retail. However the new ones I see the only difference is the Abalone signature on the headstock. IMO that does not warrant the higher price to me.

They’ve been available for a long time. I have a 2007 513 that was some sort of trade show proto Artist Package for that series. Here is the official core line announcement as a “designation” though (as mentioned) it was available in a one-off form prior:

https://prsguitars.com/news/story/p...le_on_electric_guitars_acoustic_guitars_and_a

It was way to bump your core above what was commonly available, in both appointments and price!

No, I understand that. My point is my friends older one that has the MOP all around the neck and headstock I can understand it sets it apart and makes it worth that much more retail. However the new ones I see the only difference is the Abalone signature on the headstock. IMO that does not warrant the higher price to me.
Cool. The Artist or WL series are supposed to be more perfectly or unusually figured wood, as opposed to the “evenly distributed across the top” 10 top, but frankly I have non 10-Top guitars that are true stunners all around. I’d say it’s wood appreciation for the wood connoisseur, and something the casual observer (like me) might not notice or value.

Kind of a PRS thing. Instead of “we make small, medium, and large, pick what’s closest,” they tend to wander between the bins a lot and come up with many things that are cool, sometimes short lived because of it, but just right for folks who don’t find it elsewhere. And they make great “working” instruments, too! I think it’s a great business model, even if it is a bit like “out” notes in a scale.

Are you talking about the Artist Series I - IV guitars?
That was more than a package. They were a complete standalone guitar.
https://prsguitars.com/support/article/model_history

I agree with that 100% in fact I have a S2 single cut semi hollow that has a fantastic top on it.
I have a CE that is Eriza Verde with blue fade Its really a cool finish. I had to have it.

I asked the guys at Daves guitar what finish is this I cant find it anywhere.
They told me once in a while they just get stuff that very few are made it may just be something a finishing did. I thought thats pretty cool to have that much freedom and for the PRS nuts it is cool to be able to find things like that.

Cool. The Artist or WL series are supposed to be more perfectly or unusually figured wood, as opposed to the “evenly distributed across the top” 10 top, but frankly I have non 10-Top guitars that are true stunners all around. I’d say it’s wood appreciation for the wood connoisseur, and something the casual observer (like me) might not notice or value.

Kind of a PRS thing. Instead of “we make small, medium, and large, pick what’s closest,” they tend to wander between the bins a lot and come up with many things that are cool, sometimes short lived because of it, but just right for folks who don’t find it elsewhere. And they make great “working” instruments, too! I think it’s a great business model, even if it is a bit like “out” notes in a scale.

However the new ones I see the only difference is the Abalone signature on the headstock. IMO that does not warrant the higher price to me.

The signature isn't the only thing that's different. There's more stuff.

I've had quite a few PRS' with the Artist Package. They have a top graded higher than 10 (in-between PS and 10); on my new one, the inlays are 'select' green rippled abalone (as is the signature inlay) that look more colorful than the standard shell; it has an ebony fretboard; and has mixed gold/nickel hardware. The finish isn't standard. Finally, it has a French-fit paisley case that looks nice, and arguably holds the guitar in place better.

Worth the extra dough? I dunno, it depends what you're into. Except for the different fretboard, nothing affects the tone, and what you're buying is an arguably nicer-looking, or at least different-looking, guitar.

The higher grade top, case and inlays are a nice touch, but unimportant to most players. However, the only thing that affects the tone is the fretboard.

Originally, you got the headstock veneer that wasn't on Core models at the time, the higher grade top, choice of hardware, different shell birds than other Core models, and a very nice French fit real leather case (I believe the folks who made that case aren't in business any longer). Additional colors were offered.

I had one of the Artist IIs. It was indeed its own model, as was my Artist V.

Without giving it much thought hang tags, store labels, manufacturers website, forums, friends that play the guy or gal behind the counter idk just like the clean look of any guitar. That being said I also like when peeps mod there guitars to personalize them also. Just my opinion popular or not.
Apart from when it’s brand new in the store, sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

I have no issue with personalising guitars either. I mean, if people want to buy something and immediately devalue it it’s entirely their business!

Even more confusing to me is WL guitars can be either a 10 top or artist top. For example my 24-08 is a 10 top while the 594 is an artist. If I didn’t know better I’d think they were both artist tops which to me makes the whole grading idea kind of useless since it’s so subjective.
Dzo2sTN_d.webp

Right? Like I feel between 10T and PS there isn't enough of a difference to merit a distinction.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Back