Labeling Artist guitars

Julian

It's a '59 with 4 knobs
Hey,

I dig the idea that 10 tops have 10 labelled on the headstock. I feel like Artist Packs could use an 'A' or 'AP' on the same spot. What do y'all think?

Best,
Julian

My wood library 10 top has gold hardware and plenty of other models seem to have rosewood veneers on headstock.

That’s what separates them from “regular” core models. Those features tell you that it’s more than a 10top on standard core. It’s all part of that package.
AFAIK regular core guitars do not come with the veneer.

I get what the OP is saying… there’s a 10 on 10 tops, a PS number on private stocks. So it seems reasonable that the other two “normal” upscale designations might have a marking of some sort to indicate their higher value (at least at initial purchase!). It wouldn’t be a bad thing, in my opinion.

It’s funny how opinions vary, such as what @Birdsofprey noted above. From my time playing back in the 70s and 80s, a guitar with a blank truss cover was almost always a cheapie. I guess that’s why I like the 513, McCarty, and 594 covers on mine. The only “unmarked” PRS truss cover I have is the Silver Sky, which looks cheap… like a recycled Army dog tag. It never occurred to me that others might like them blank. New times, new thoughts. Gotta keep up!

I don't see any harm in putting WL or AP in the normal 10 spot. Of course most WL are 10 tops (both mine have 10's), and there's not really enough room for that. Maybe if they were stacked but on my 594, there's really not room for that.

Most Core models come with the rosewood veneer now (the DGT doesn't, but not sure if there are any others). Artist models usually have the signature inlaid in shell instead of a cream material. Many have ebony fretboards, or something else that's not on a standard Core model.

I've had a lot of Artist Package guitars. The tradition at PRS is not to designate them by anything on the headstock. Sometimes I think the whole identification of the guitar with a headstock designation like a '10' is there so the buyer can get all jolly about paying the extra dough.

Most Artist models look pretty damn good and come in an upgraded case. Since that's what one's paying extra for, do we really need something on the back of the headstock to tell us what we already know?

"But it helps when you sell."

"You're not supposed to sell. You're supposed to keep."

"You've sold plenty."

"Because I love making mistakes. One day I might even learn from them."

Do Artist Packs even exist anymore?

No, not any more. Guess it's really a moot point

I have a 2021 Special Semi Hollow with Artist Package. You're saying I got one of the last ones?

Found an AP from 2021 here
https://reverb.com/item/46744644-pa...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=46744644

I also thought they got rid of it but seems like they’re here and there? It’s all very confusing. Is there also enough of a gap between 10 Top WL and PS for another tier? Whole other topic…

They could have stopped the AP thing, and gone to WL for that kind of stuff, but they would still be fulfilling previous dealer orders for AP guitars regardless.

If it has stopped, perhaps it's due to the backlog they have to deal with. It'd certainly be worth discussing with a reputable dealer who does a lot of business with PRS to find out.

Last edited:
I find it quite useful actually. Otherwise, how would the uninitiated know what model it is?
Without giving it much thought hang tags, store labels, manufacturers website, forums, friends that play the guy or gal behind the counter idk just like the clean look of any guitar. That being said I also like when peeps mod there guitars to personalize them also. Just my opinion popular or not.

For the life of me I cant tell what makes the "Artist" package a package. My friend has an older one and it has mother of pearl up and down the neck and around the headstock and I believe it has the eagle in the head stock. Now that I understand. But I have core 10 tops that have gold hardware and a veneer on the headstock so what is the difference with them now? I think it is just a marketing thing. Unless there is something I am unaware of.

For the life of me I cant tell what makes the "Artist" package a package. My friend has an older one and it has mother of pearl up and down the neck and around the headstock and I believe it has the eagle in the head stock. Now that I understand. But I have core 10 tops that have gold hardware and a veneer on the headstock so what is the difference with them now? I think it is just a marketing thing. Unless there is something I am unaware of.
They’ve been available for a long time. I have a 2007 513 that was some sort of trade show proto Artist Package for that series. Here is the official core line announcement as a “designation” though (as mentioned) it was available in a one-off form prior:

https://prsguitars.com/news/story/p...le_on_electric_guitars_acoustic_guitars_and_a

It was way to bump your core above what was commonly available, in both appointments and price!

Back