Just got my first PRS and need help with amp modeling software

Reaper is super cheap, pretty full featured, and doesn't have any annoying DRM hardware/software.

I checked some YouTube videos and it does seem like Reaper is a great option especially at the price point. I with trial them both to see which one I prefer. I have never used DAW software so it will be interesting. Ableton Live is on sale until May 20th so I have time to play around with both. Is one easier to use than the other for a beginner? I figure I should use the easier one first.

I see posting a picture on this site requires an app. Hopefully now I have enough posts so I can load a pic of my PRS.

wTlAfHl.jpg

Here is my 2018 Custom 24.

I checked some YouTube videos and it does seem like Reaper is a great option especially at the price point. I with trial them both to see which one I prefer. I have never used DAW software so it will be interesting. Ableton Live is on sale until May 20th so I have time to play around with both. Is one easier to use than the other for a beginner? I figure I should use the easier one first.

I see posting a picture on this site requires an app. Hopefully now I have enough posts so I can load a pic of my PRS.
Read this
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/how-to-post-pics.932/

As for Ableton Live, it is designed differently than a traditional DAW like ProTools or Cubase.
Easy to drop in loops and set up multiple approaches to constructing a recording and changing it on the fly. They also have great support in getting you to understand their product and making music. Go to Ableton.com and click on "more" at the top of the page.

I just listened to a YouTube demo for the PRS SuperModels and it sounds great and right now it is on sale for only $35.99. At that price I may just grab it. Can I get a good variety of sounds for clean, blues, rock and metal? Ideally I would like to get a wide range of amp samples.
Yes, no problem with versatility between the three PRS amp models. The Dallas has great cleans and blues/blues rock tones. V9 has good cleans also and gets good and dirty for hard rock. The Archon will wake the dead.

On the "modern" sound area, nothing beats Neural DSP plugins these days.
Specially the Plini (which sounds AMAZING on my CU24 LTD) and the Nolly (designed by a guy who actually plays PRS with Bare Knuckle Pups).

For "vintage" and "classic" sounds the SM57 and real amps as someone suggested stills hard to beat.
But you can get good mimics with Softube plugins (also licensed for UAD).

If you want to have the biggest range of sounds and effects in a single plugin (although not fantastic, sounds decent) you should check Amplitube or Native Instruments Guitar Rig. Line 6 Pod Farm used to be the king of this segment, but nowadays it was left behind.

I've recently been looking into this as well since I can't get together w/ my friends / band to jam. the other guitar player and I were talking about sharing multi track recordings from our jam sessions and doing edits BEFORE the lock down and I figured maybe we could work on a few songs via recordings and send them back and forth over the next few months.

Anyway, I also got a focusrite interface and tried the free version of Protools they provide. I already had Guitar Rig installed (which I rarely used) but couldn't figure out how to make the plugin work with Protools. After spending a considerable amount of time trying to get it to work I figured out that plug ins are disabled on the free version so you have to buy the full version. Pro Tools is pretty expensive so I bailed on that. But my friend had been using a free DAW called Tracktion 7 for months and doing all our recording edits with that, so he suggested I use the same tool to make collaboration easy and to avoid any issues compatibility issues. So I installed Tracktion 7 set up my interface and scanned for my plugins and it found Guitar Rig no problem.

But then I found that going straight into the interface with the guitar and counting on the Guitar Rig plug in to provide good amp sounds didn't really work. There was too much lag! It was impossible to play along with the pre-recorded track. I don't have a high end PC but i'm guessing even a high end computer is going to produce too much lag taking your guitar signal from your interface, sending it to the DAW, processing it through the plug in and back to your interface. So to get around this, I hit the live monitoring button on the Scarlet and yeah that works. You can play live to the recording but your hearing your clean / dry guitar signal as you play. Then after the recording, you can add your plug in effects. It works but far from ideal - especially if your part is supposed to have gain.

Next I set up my amp and pedal board and put my SM58 (really the same as SM57) in front of the amp. I plugged the mic cable into my interface and recorded with live monitoring. There was of course NO lag with live monitoring and I could hear live what the guitar actually would sound like on the recording. The results were WAY better than I was getting from Guitar Rig plug in! Of course you can still use that plug in to change the sound of your amp, or effects, or cab after the fact if you want. (I recorded at low volume but a good OD pedal with low gain can give you some pretty good natural amp sounds still. although I'm considering putting my amp in the basement and cranking it for a future recording.)

So I'm also recommending the SM57 as recommended above.

Lastly - regarding Guitar Rig and DAWs. Definitely try to find out if whatever guitar amp plugin you buy will work with your DAW. I liked the free Tracktion DAW but the companies newest product is called Waveform. They have a free version of that as well and I think they are trying to move toward this version and away from the older Tracktion 7. Waveform is 64bit vs 32 bit I think??? The interface seems mostly similar with some minor upgrades and cosmetic changes but I think most of it is the guts of the system. Regardless Waveform seemed to work a little bit better on my PC so I moved to that one. But what I found is Guitar Rig will not work in the new Waveform DAW. Guitar Rig is older and will only work on the 32bit DAW. I considered buying another amp modeler and I still may for some post recording edits, but I decided to stick with the mic for recording.

Back