Just got my first PRS and need help with amp modeling software

akabek

I am getting back into playing guitar after being away from it for over 10 years. I always wanted a PRS so after some research I picked up a used 2018 Custom 24. I bought it online site unseen and it showed up yesterday in mint condition. Beautiful piece of gear and so smooth to play.

Gear has come a long way since I last played. Years ago I use to woodwork and I built a guitar amp from the ground up which I still have today. The cabinet is made out of canary wood and I soldered together a Trinity tube amp kit based on a Marshall 18 and added two G10 Greenback speakers. Last week I came across the Spark practice amp and with all the tones and effects it offers I placed an order.

Now I am in the process of putting together a guitar rig to play and record. Today I picked up 2 x KRK Rokit 5 monitors, IsoAcoustics stands and the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. The Scarlett and Spark come with recording software to get me started but I want to buy an amp modeling software. I was thinking of the Positive Grid Bias Amp 2 Standard or Professional. Any suggestions on either of these two or is there something else I can consider? If there is anything else I may need let me know.

Congratulations on your return and purchase!

I'm using different stuff so I don't have experience with the amp modelers you are asking about. Many will chime in.

BTW, you should look up the sticky on how to post photos so that when you have seven posts you can show that beauty.

I am getting back into playing guitar after being away from it for over 10 years. I always wanted a PRS so after some research I picked up a used 2018 Custom 24. I bought it online site unseen and it showed up yesterday in mint condition. Beautiful piece of gear and so smooth to play.

Gear has come a long way since I last played. Years ago I use to woodwork and I built a guitar amp from the ground up which I still have today. The cabinet is made out of canary wood and I soldered together a Trinity tube amp kit based on a Marshall 18 and added two G10 Greenback speakers. Last week I came across the Spark practice amp and with all the tones and effects it offers I placed an order.

Now I am in the process of putting together a guitar rig to play and record. Today I picked up 2 x KRK Rokit 5 monitors, IsoAcoustics stands and the Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. The Scarlett and Spark come with recording software to get me started but I want to buy an amp modeling software. I was thinking of the Positive Grid Bias Amp 2 Standard or Professional. Any suggestions on either of these two or is there something else I can consider? If there is anything else I may need let me know.

If your wallet can afford it, GuitarRig 5 Player is an outstanding piece of software. Lotsa amp models, effects, cabs and mics to choose from. That being said, my wallet can't afford this, but I've gravitated to Overloud's TH-U Rock collection. Not as many effects, but plenty to wet your whistle choice-wise.

Congratulations on your return and purchase!

I'm using different stuff so I don't have experience with the amp modelers you are asking about. Many will chime in.

BTW, you should look up the sticky on how to post photos so that when you have seven posts you can show that beauty.

Thanks, I will post a pic once I have enough posts

If your wallet can afford it, GuitarRig 5 Player is an outstanding piece of software. Lotsa amp models, effects, cabs and mics to choose from. That being said, my wallet can't afford this, but I've gravitated to Overloud's TH-U Rock collection. Not as many effects, but plenty to wet your whistle choice-wise.

Thanks I will take a look at GuitarRig 5

Scuffham S-Gear is one that I’ve used a fair bit. But lately, I’m using Waves PRS Amps more. Models of an Archon, a Dallas, and a Blue Sierra/V9.

I second the Waves PRS SuperModels. They sound pretty darn good and have a lot of features if you like to tweak settings to dial in your tone. I also have the Waves CLG Guitars plugin. It sounds great too and is more on the simplistic side. It’s meant to get a good tone quickly.

I know you specifically mentioned amp modeling software but I would like to mention the Strymon Iridium. It’s a bit on the pricey side but it sounds fantastic. I’ve used it everyday since I bought it. I too was looking for amp modeling software and took a chance on the iridium. You can also load your own IR’s if your in to that kind of stuff. I use it as my practice amp and run it straight into my audio interface for recording.

Congrats on the new PRS!

I second the Waves PRS SuperModels. They sound pretty darn good and have a lot of features if you like to tweak settings to dial in your tone. I also have the Waves CLG Guitars plugin. It sounds great too and is more on the simplistic side. It’s meant to get a good tone quickly.

I just listened to a YouTube demo for the PRS SuperModels and it sounds great and right now it is on sale for only $35.99. At that price I may just grab it. Can I get a good variety of sounds for clean, blues, rock and metal? Ideally I would like to get a wide range of amp samples.

What would be a good recording software package for a beginner? I was thinking the $200 - $300.00 range.

What would be a good recording software package for a beginner? I was thinking the $200 - $300.00 range.

Logic ($200) and Garage Band (free) on the Mac side. Reaper (various pricing - around $60 for one level, as I recall) and Audacity on the Windows side.

I should have mentioned I am a PC and android user. As a beginner to recording software would it be beneficial to spend more?

I should have mentioned I am a PC and android user. As a beginner to recording software would it be beneficial to spend more?

It can be, but Reaper is doing a free trial right now - hard to beat free. Especially while you try to settle on what you need/like.

It looks like Reaper is only $60 right now. Ableton Live has a 30% sale...I am not sure how often they put their software on sale

Both Reaper and Ableton offer a trial so I will give both a try and see how it goes.

I have two laptops I can use. Can I load the software on both laps so I can decide which one I prefer to use?

Reaper is super cheap, pretty full featured, and doesn't have any annoying DRM hardware/software.

Back