John Mayer SE

Thia is a cool one Ish did. They break down both guitars and it's amazing how many of the parts are interchangeable between the US and SE. Worth checking out for sure!

Great demo and break down by these guys so kudos to @IshGuitars

Ish is also giving one away - details on their site. As long as you’re not a dragon in Paris that is…

I had watched Phil McKnights video first, so I was spoiled with the knowledge that the SE pickups are objectively slightly hotter than the US version. Knowing that, it was pretty obvious that guitar #2 was the SE - it’s definitely pushing the amp a little harder in the Andertons video. For some licks I liked SE and others I favored the Core. Maybe I need both? :D

Like it's been said so many times before around here....both...both is always the correct answer!

Last edited:
Unless this is an ‘in joke’ I don’t get (entirely possible) then my guess is simply that it’s quicker and cheaper to not finish the trem cavity as nicely as the core version and just cover it up instead.

Just watched the tear down video the @IshGuitars did. Looks like the trem cavity is in fact, finished. Probably not to the level the US SS is, but finished.

I had watched Phil McKnights video first, so I was spoiled with the knowledge that the SE pickups are objectively slightly hotter than the US version. Knowing that, it was pretty obvious that guitar #2 was the SE - it’s definitely pushing the amp a little harder in the Andertons video. For some licks I liked SE and others I favored the Core. Maybe I need both? :D

McKnight seems to be the only one who discovered that the pickups in the SE Silver Sky seem to feature some new Space Alien technology that they have never exactly used in any of their other guitars in any of the lines. That whole bit about the extra mini slugs (or whatever they are called) in-between the regular coils, similar to the Vela pickups. Freekin' brilliant! Between that and the more "mass appeal" fingerboard radius, It might have been at that point where I thought that this guitar might actually more desirable than the USA made Silver Sky!

One thing is for sure... right now the Internet is blowing up as a result of the release of this guitar.

I've seen in various places that PRSh doesn't like middle pickups by themselves so he wants the middle position to be bridge and neck instead of just middle. I never saw where John Mayer said that. I always thought the SS was just normal Strat switching and my 2018 SS is definitely middle pickup only in the middle.
There is a Paul calls with JM where John asks Paul (paraphrased)"The middle pickup is the most true pickup, musically, right Paul?". Then Paul comes back with a big no and explanation, and the look on John's face is awesome.

I personally love middle pickup, when I have a guitar with a middle pickup, which is mostly not since I've been using PRS. Can't wait to handle a SE SS!

McKnight seems to be the only one who discovered that the pickups in the SE Silver Sky seem to feature some new Space Alien technology that they have never exactly used in any of their other guitars in any of the lines. That whole bit about the extra mini slugs (or whatever they are called) in-between the regular coils, similar to the Vela pickups. Freekin' brilliant! Between that and the more "mass appeal" fingerboard radius, It might have been at that point where I thought that this guitar might actually more desirable than the USA made Silver Sky!

One thing is for sure... right now the Internet is blowing up as a result of the release of this guitar.
The tear downs got me really stoked! Shielded cavity, grounded pickup screws, extra slugs in the pickups... My spec nerd self really enjoyed that!

I watched the Aderton's video too. I listened to it thru headphones, I guessed the same as you and the Captain. Love how they blurred Pete out so there was no chance of "psycho semantics" playing a roll as they said, while hearing him play.
I about spit out my coffee when they were talking Imperial vs. Metrics. Listening to the Captain say 7/32 as seven thirty two-ths instead of seven thirty seconds was hilarious.

4 failed attempts with the core SS. I’m a slow learner.

Lots of us are. I've given the core SS 2 attempts so far and while a solid guitar, it didn't get me anything that I can't already cover with my actual Strats. That being said, I understand the appeal and will be giving the SE version a go. Evergreen is the one for me.

4 failed attempts with the core SS. I’m a slow learner.

Yeah, I couldn't get past the "stickyness" (YRMV) of the neck in my hand, and mine had the dreaded pick guard static that I couldn't get rid of. Loved everything else about it, especially the pickups. It was probably a good thing that I couldn't really afford to try another one at the time.

This one on the other hand, has the matte finished neck and it's shielded pretty well from what I have seen. So that gives me hope.

I guess we will see...fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I about spit out my coffee when they were talking Imperial vs. Metrics. Listening to the Captain say 7/32 as seven thirty two-ths instead of seven thirty seconds was hilarious.

I was laughing so hard that I had to rewind the video a bit because I could no longer hear it. Silly English people. hahhaha

Last edited:
Back