John Mayer SE

Just incase anyone was curious (I've been asked quite a bit already and it's only a few hours in)

if you are comparing the PRS SE demo video to the OG SS or Maple US model demos. The in US Silver Sky videos, we were using the J-Mod100. In the SE video I'm playing through a 20W Sonzera. Even more impressive in my book.

My prediction was correct. You most certainly did make a bad@ss video!

I'm going to find out. I ordered a set from John Mann. It's an SE. If I have to do a little reaming, I'm ok for that. But, I'm betting they'll fit.

A little reaming FNAR!

Yeah man!! Congrats!!

I pre-ordered a Moon White, the ones I've seen on-line range from a light cream to a butter yellow. I'm hoping it's closer to the old school "Butter Cream" in person. I'm sure they'll all look good in person.

I'm glad you brought this up. I was starting to think it was these vintage eyeballs of mineo_O

How long before the trem bar gets shortened?;)

You can always do this with the black one you’re gonna buy when they release it.

I wonder why they went with a cover for the trem springs?

Because they want you to make the “dimebag” video where you remove the trem cover and TRC and gold leaf the f*ck out of it!

We should track down the previous owner, confiscate all of his tools, and revoke his junior amateur luthier permit. Oh and put him in permanent guitar time out. Yeah, that'll fix him.

Remember....Friends don't let dumba$$es work on thier own guitars. (T-shirts and coffee mugs available at my Reverb store soon):D

I object. I worked on my buddy’s many guitars Sunday. He has quite a few, he is a metal player and likes his gain. He had some serious feedback issues, so after determining that the grounding was ok, I tightened the backplate on his bridge pickup and installed some foam in the cavity. That helped a lot.

to be sure I am not your average dumbass, I am an experimental physicist who has been soldering and debugging electronics for 30 years.

I object. I worked on my buddy’s many guitars Sunday. He has quite a few, he is a metal player and likes his gain. He had some serious feedback issues, so after determining that the grounding was ok, I tightened the backplate on his bridge pickup and installed some foam in the cavity. That helped a lot.

to be sure I am not your average dumbass, I am an experimental physicist who has been soldering and debugging electronics for 30 years.

Object away counselor...but what exactly is yours point?

Cool that you helped your buddy out, that was nice of you...but how does that have anything to do with my post?

Wait? Are you saying you're the dude that previously owned/modded DTRs SS? Now that, would explain your objection more clearly. Or are you saying you're a better than average dumba$$ that works on your friends guitars? I'm not making assumptions, just trying to figure out the point you were trying to convey.

However, if it was you, I stand behind my original post and you shouldn't be working on guitars unless you plan on keeping them forever. :cool:

Last edited:
Object away counselor...but what exactly is yours point?

Cool that you helped your buddy out, that was nice of you...but how does that have anything to do with my post?

Wait? Are you saying you're the dude that previously owned/modded DTRs SS? Now that, would explain your objection more clearly. Or are you saying you're are better than average dumba$$ that works on your friends guitars? I'm not making assumptions, just trying to figure out the point you were trying to convey.

However, if it was you, I stand behind my original post and you shouldn't be working on guitars unless you plan on keeping them forever. :cool:

Tough but fair.

My favorite video of this guitar... just an honest, no-fluff, bang away at the guitar review:

I just hope Bohlinger has some color correction issues with his camera, as that twinky blue is nothing like the advertised stone blue:

nRETFp0.png

My favorite video of this guitar... just an honest, no-fluff, bang away at the guitar review:

I just hope Bohlinger has some color correction issues with his camera, as that twinky blue is nothing like the advertised stone blue:

nRETFp0.png

Yeah that looks REALLY blue compared to the others I've seen. Really weird, gotta be lighting, surely the shades don't vary that much in person...the SW guitar gallery pics are usually on point with the lighting. I'm not too concerned about the Moon White any of the shades I've seen are fine with me. I just want the darkest rosewood possible! The redish look of the competitions Pau ferro just doesn't do it for me. So glad these have RW, of course, a maple board down the road would be saweet!

Last edited:
Now that you mention this, I vaguely recall seeing Mayer say something about that, but that it was he used to have the middle position wired that way because he never had a middle pickup that was good by itself, and he wanted to change that with this guitar.

As I've said, I'm not a huge Strat guy, so some of those nuances (i.e., middle pickup not being good) went past me. What I do remember is when @BeerBatteredPhish and I were passing the Silver Sky back and forth that day, every time we went to the middle pickup alone, he just shook his head and said, "It's not supposed to sound that good".
I've seen in various places that PRSh doesn't like middle pickups by themselves so he wants the middle position to be bridge and neck instead of just middle. I never saw where John Mayer said that. I always thought the SS was just normal Strat switching and my 2018 SS is definitely middle pickup only in the middle.

nRETFp0.png

That's almost Daphne blue lol in the video.

IMO there is no such thing as a honest' review from any sponsored reviewer given a free loaner in advance by the manufacturer itself; they're just there to bombard you with articles/videos to incite GAS.
The conflict of interest is too high. Be ever so slightly critical and they get slapped by manufacturers in one way or another that will hurt them down the road.

That said IMO the SE version seems to have been done right. There is nothing substantial to complain about if the quality is there to back up the price.

What did it for me is the Andertons' video with a blindfolded test against the USA one.
Incredibly close (on recorded audio at least, live tends to be more obvious); I was dead certain what I preferred was the USA one while it in fact it turned out to be the SE.

OK.
Sincere thanks for answering my question.
I will try one of these out.
While I'm at it, I will try the core one as well.
Hey, you never know...
Then and only then, I’m fairly sure, you’ll properly “get” what the buzz is about!

For me, the core SS is an absolute triumph. I’m not a strat guy. At all. But oh man, that thing plays SO nice and sounds superb. Way nicer than any strat I’ve played to date.

So the prospect of an SE version that’s maybe 90% (or more) as good as the core but way less than half the price is pretty damn exciting, IMO.

Unless this is an ‘in joke’ I don’t get (entirely possible) then my guess is simply that it’s quicker and cheaper to not finish the trem cavity as nicely as the core version and just cover it up instead.

That would make sense. Same time have you seen trem and pickup cavity on Mexican Fenders?

That make American Fenders looks shameful

That's almost Daphne blue lol in the video.

IMO there is no such thing as a honest' review from any sponsored reviewer given a free loaner in advance by the manufacturer itself; they're just there to bombard you with articles/videos to incite GAS.
The conflict of interest is too high. Be ever so slightly critical and they get slapped by manufacturers in one way or another that will hurt them down the road.

That said IMO the SE version seems to have been done right. There is nothing substantial to complain about if the quality is there to back up the price.

What did it for me is the Andertons' video with a blindfolded test against the USA one.
Incredibly close (on recorded audio at least, live tends to be more obvious); I was dead certain what I preferred was the USA one while it in fact it turned out to be the SE.

I watched the Aderton's video too. I listened to it thru headphones, I guessed the same as you and the Captain. Love how they blurred Pete out so there was no chance of "psycho semantics" playing a roll as they said, while hearing him play.

I watched the Aderton's video too. I listened to it thru headphones, I guessed the same as you and the Captain. Love how they blurred Pete out so there was no chance of "psycho semantics" playing a roll as they said, while hearing him play.
I had watched Phil McKnights video first, so I was spoiled with the knowledge that the SE pickups are objectively slightly hotter than the US version. Knowing that, it was pretty obvious that guitar #2 was the SE - it’s definitely pushing the amp a little harder in the Andertons video. For some licks I liked SE and others I favored the Core. Maybe I need both? :D

Back