It's Getting A Little Chilly Down Here.

Would love to see the Lions win the SB, but I believe it's the year of the Harbaugh, as much I detest the Ravens.
I'm not sure I care who wins. Every year 'our' team consists of half of last year's 'their' team, and even that changes yet again the following year.

The only team colors that matter in sports today are green, and green.

Soon they'll be offering NIL bonuses to PeeWee football players and Little League stars.

Last edited:
The Lions are awesome and the 49ers better have thier best game .. that being said .. being a 5th generation SF Native .. I'll have to lean towards my hometown boys. That's why they call us the Faithful
Gotta go @Greywolf's way. Not an SF native (downstate IL) but arrived in Palo Alto before he left around a half century ago and have too many & widely varied connections to the Niners to choose any other NFL team.

I also agree with @d4rkst4r that the Ravens are likely to hoist the Lombardi trophy. They demolished the Niners on Christmas.

And congrats to the Lions. They're up in rarified air among teams that each have multiple rings.

And congrats to the Lions. They're up in rarified air among teams that each have multiple rings.

They had three NFL titles in the 1950s. I was actually a tiny kid and attended the 1957 title game against Cleveland at Briggs (later named Tiger) Stadium with my Dad and my uncle. We sat in the upper-upper deck that was covered and even had a wall in front.

The highlight of the game for me and my cousin was finding a condom under one of our seats. We thought it was a ballon. My cousin was about to blow it up as a balloon when my uncle grabbed it and threw it away. How it got there...uh...who knows.

You can't make this stuff up!

It is worth noting that the playoff game for the Western Division was against the Niners at Keysar Stadium.

Will that Karma work and finally expunge the demons of the Curse? Will history repeat itself? Bobby Layne wants to know.

I got out the Ouija board and contacted the spirit of my father (#20 in the first row) of the 1934 Varsity squad of Grand Rapids' Ottawa Hills High School Bengals, and a Lions fellow sufferer. He says this is true!

YK1KMAd.jpg
I'm curious why the highest jersey number is #22, with #20 being repeated and three players with no numbers.

I'm curious why the highest jersey number is #22, with #20 being repeated and three players with no numbers.
Beats me. This year Michigan had two guys wearing the number two, a running back and a guy in the defensive backfield. But back then, players played two ways.

I'll have to get the Ouija board out again and ask my dad.... ;)

I guess the  average number of football players on a NCAA roster is 118, which might explain the duplicitous numbers today. There are other various rules by conference for instance, dictating how many may actually travel, number of scholarships, etc., etc.

The highlight of the game for me and my cousin was finding a condom under one of our seats. We thought it was a ballon. My cousin was about to blow it up as a balloon when my uncle grabbed it and threw it away. How it got there...uh...who knows.

It is worth noting that the playoff game for the Western Division was against the Niners at Keysar Stadium.
Never got the chance to see the 49'rs play at Kezar, they'd moved to Candlestick before my time. Though I did see Zep & Lynyrd Skynyrd there before it got torn down.

My Niners links didn't have quite the same potential public health risk as your title game story: a few of my Stanford teammates (on the JV squad) went to the NFL including one to SF and another to the Bengals & was backup QB when they played SF in '82 Super Bowl at the Silverdome near you; my orthopedic surgeon was the team doc in that era though he hasn't worn his ring for a while (yes, even the docs got rings); and the team owner (then Eddie D.) and some his buddies hit on my girlfriend, in a good natured way, when she was working at Victoria's Secret (she was amused but declined their invitation, also in a good natured way :cool:)

They had three NFL titles in the 1950s. I was actually a tiny kid and attended the 1957 title game against Cleveland at Briggs (later named Tiger) Stadium with my Dad and my uncle. We sat in the upper-upper deck that was covered and even had a wall in front.

Will that Karma work and finally expunge the demons of the Curse? Will history repeat itself? Bobby Layne wants to know.

Well, if all else fails you can draw upon the spirit of George Plimpton for inspiration.

Oh man I remember Kezar !It wasn't near as windy as the STICK .. but the ammenties were primative . I went to Stanford games all the time as a kid (starting about 1960) our next door neighbor was a professor there , back when they were the Indians .. my brother had a red wool blanket with that logo .. man o man would I love to have that .. memories ..

Last edited:
Oh man I remember Kezar !It wasn't near as windy as the STICK .. but the ammenties were primative . I went to Stanford games all the time as a kid, back when they were the Indians .. my brother had a red wool blanket with that logo .. man o man would I love to have that .. memories ..
Primitive amenities were a Bay Area tradition. This was Stanford Stadium's solo 'concourse' in 2005, just before demolition (Cal didn't get a new stadium till 2012). And that was good enough to host Super Bowl XIX: Jan 20, 1985, Dolphins: 16 - 49ers: 38.
From Wikipedia: "Stanford Stadium was picked, despite having no lights at the time, no dressing rooms, and a substandard press box."

DSC-0043.jpg

"

Last edited:
Back