Well, This Is A Little Weird

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Years ago, I used to work with a woman at a previous company. We both found ourselves working at the same company again (meaning we were both at the same company, not the company where we worked together), and every time we'd see each other, one of us would say, "Are you still here?" And the other would usually respond, "I'm going to keep coming in until they tell me not to."

Well, yesterday they told me not to. Four months short of 25 years. For the first time in over 36 years, I is unemployed. Not a pity party by any means - I was already looking for something else because my particular job had changed very much for the worse over the past four to five months. So I'm not sad about being out of there. And because of my length (yes!) of service (damn...), I get a pretty decent severance deal, so I have no reason to panic. Unlike the previous time I got laid off - months after buying a house and getting married. So that's not a concern for now. All in all, I'd have preferred it happen a couple years from now, when I'd have been in a position to ride out the severance and retire. It's a bit too early for that. And I have some prospects, some at the same company - I usually don't burn bridges because you never know when you might work with someone again. So, as of now, all is very good in my world.

What's weird is knowing that I don't really have an agenda when I get up. I don't have to go in (which was a point of contention - long story), I don't have to sign on. No meetings. No deadlines. And it's not like vacation - it's open-ended. Just kind of a weird feeling.

I know what you're thinking - more guitar time! And I'd agree with you, except... Last week, after a dentist appointment, I went to my mother-in-law's to change an outlet for her. Whoever had painted her living room painted over the outlet and cover, so it was stuck and I had to pry it off. Scored it with a razor knife, pried it a little loose w/the knife, switched to a screwdriver, then reached to grab a second screwdriver - and remember when I'd had the razor knife? I forgot. Right into the tip of my ring finger, close to an inch long cut. No stitches, but it's still pretty tender, so playing guitar is a few days away. But I'll get there.

The downside for you all - more time for me to post!

Dude that blows! Sorry to hear it my man. But I’m glad they’re at least offering a severance.

It’ll take some getting used to but, if you play your cards right me and @sergiodeblanc can put on a master class and teach you about the finer points of house-husbandry.:cool:

Meanwhile stay up late, sleep in, & play/listen to music. Remember It’s not just retirement…it’s a lifestyle. Soak it up.

Last edited:
Downside? Are you kiddin' me? Your my favorite forum Jester!

Sounds like it was time to move on from that position (missionary can only work for so long!)!! Best of luck on finding your Kama Sutra like dream job position!!!

Sorry to hear about the finger, I cut left hand index finger and right hand palm about three weeks ago working on the lawn mower! I even bled on my guitar because I could not resist playing after a couple of days of patience! Not suggesting you do the same, and I did stop after the blood started flowing, but I know how hard it can be to not vibrate that g string!!!

I had the same feeling when I actually did retire. No early mornings, no meetings, no middle of the night calls. I loved it, but there was a nagging feeling I was about to get caught and sent back to the mines. In my case, I did adjust and am pretty darned used to having a week consist of six Saturdays and a Sunday. Hopefully, your next gig will pop in before you get like that! I have every confidence it’s a move to the positive… you’ve got a great attitude about it.

Years ago, I used to work with a woman at a previous company. We both found ourselves working at the same company again (meaning we were both at the same company, not the company where we worked together), and every time we'd see each other, one of us would say, "Are you still here?" And the other would usually respond, "I'm going to keep coming in until they tell me not to."

Well, yesterday they told me not to. Four months short of 25 years. For the first time in over 36 years, I is unemployed. Not a pity party by any means - I was already looking for something else because my particular job had changed very much for the worse over the past four to five months. So I'm not sad about being out of there. And because of my length (yes!) of service (damn...), I get a pretty decent severance deal, so I have no reason to panic. Unlike the previous time I got laid off - months after buying a house and getting married. So that's not a concern for now. All in all, I'd have preferred it happen a couple years from now, when I'd have been in a position to ride out the severance and retire. It's a bit too early for that. And I have some prospects, some at the same company - I usually don't burn bridges because you never know when you might work with someone again. So, as of now, all is very good in my world.

What's weird is knowing that I don't really have an agenda when I get up. I don't have to go in (which was a point of contention - long story), I don't have to sign on. No meetings. No deadlines. And it's not like vacation - it's open-ended. Just kind of a weird feeling.

I know what you're thinking - more guitar time! And I'd agree with you, except... Last week, after a dentist appointment, I went to my mother-in-law's to change an outlet for her. Whoever had painted her living room painted over the outlet and cover, so it was stuck and I had to pry it off. Scored it with a razor knife, pried it a little loose w/the knife, switched to a screwdriver, then reached to grab a second screwdriver - and remember when I'd had the razor knife? I forgot. Right into the tip of my ring finger, close to an inch long cut. No stitches, but it's still pretty tender, so playing guitar is a few days away. But I'll get there.

Sorry to hear.
Congrats!
That sucks. Get well. Practice with the other fingers. :p
Yay!

The one thing about having a finger cut and playing guitar right after, is that no one wants to touch your guitars from that point on, for all the blood that has now stained the fret boards. So that is a positive in this negative. And , if you do it right, you can do a fairly good imitation of Gene Simmons. All you have to do is suck on your finger for a minute or too, then let it drool out the corners of your mouth.

Losing a job always sucks, especially after that long of a tenure. But, it sounds like you can bounce back in no time. Good luck and happy healing.

Don’t know whether to say congrats or hey, sorry about all that.

I’ll just say I’ll pray.

Sounds like you’re in a good spot with it, mentally and fiscally for now. I went through a similar period of unanticipated unemployment a few years ago- not something I was planning on in my 50s. It ended up being a fantastic forced change, and a win in ways I couldn’t have imagined at the time. I’m sure you’ll find ways to make this all a positive.

Well, other than the finger injury. All I can do there is nod my head in a “been there, done that” way.

Back