It ain’t easy being G

BWV548

Custom Title
I was at my luthier’s earlier and, amongst other conversation, I spent some time complaining about the sound of G strings on electric guitars. Unwound one’s, specifically.
Physically, I don’t like wound G strings. Sonically, all unwound Gs I’ve ever played, regardless of the quality of the guitar, have -to my ears- have sounded varying degrees of crappy. For me, single coils aren’t as bad as humbuckers. And for humbuckers, PAF style are the worst offenders. Likewise, heavy strings contribute to the problem. Unfortunately, I’m a guy who plays 11s, mostly, and prefers PAF style pickups, tho not to the exclusion of other types.
My luthier suggested I give Thomastik-Infeld strings a go. His rational, was that they use different alloys, which allow for lower tension profiles, for a given gauge, than most other strings. And that the reason for the G being offensive was down to a compromise in width and tension, to get around not using a wound string.

So, does anyone have experience with these strings, in addition to being annoyed by the sound of unwound Gs?
Certain effects, also, alviate the problem somewhat. However, I often just play with a bit of reverb and nothing else

Last edited:
I have used Infelds for a long time. The Power brights. The pros are that they are a very durable string: they maintain their brilliance longer than any other string I have tried and stay in tune fantastic. The cons are, they are super expensive where I live. I honestly don't notice much of a difference in G string tonality compared to other sets I have tried, but they are worth a try!

I love wound G's. Only thing I've played for years on several electrics - D'Addario XL110W's. Tried D'Addario EJ20's for a while, Jimmy Herring's string of choice, but came back to the 110W's.

Back