Is there such a guitar?

I’d really look into a satin vela. Try it out. I think you will be surprised. It’s not a wrap around. It’s a full on stoptail. The pattern regular neck is pretty close to wide thin. And the neck pickup could easily swapped for a firebird or other mini humbucker.

Last edited:
I'm a guy with small-ish hands, and thought wide-thin necks were what I "needed". But to be honest, I'm comfortable playing any of the PRS neck profiles - the 594 Pattern Vintage might be the most comfortable yet. So you might want to go play some PRS guitars at a local store to see if the "wide thin" requirement really is a show-stopper.

If you can eliminate that, there are a lot more options for you.

Also: my wife is smaller than me, and plays 24-fret PRS basses with 34" scale length, and I'm not a big guy and I play PRS's 27.7" scale length baritones and 26.5" seven-stringers. So I also wouldn't get too wound around the scale length of a guitar, though the vast majority of PRS (six string) guitars are 25" or less.

no rosewood neck
I don't recall seeing that as a requirement/desire? The OP desires a natural-looking transparent/translucent finish to the wood - i.e. not opaque black, as best I understand:

"No paint on the back or neck (natural/stained finish)"

I'm a guy with small-ish hands, and thought wide-thin necks were what I "needed". But to be honest, I'm comfortable playing any of the PRS neck profiles - the 594 Pattern Vintage might be the most comfortable yet. So you might want to go play some PRS guitars at a local store to see if the "wide thin" requirement really is a show-stopper.

If you can eliminate that, there are a lot more options for you.

Also: my wife is smaller than me, and plays 24-fret PRS basses with 34" scale length, and I'm not a big guy and I play PRS's 27.7" scale length baritones and 26.5" seven-stringers. So I also wouldn't get too wound around the scale length of a guitar, though the vast majority of PRS (six string) guitars are 25" or less.

I don't recall seeing that as a requirement/desire? The OP desires a natural-looking transparent/translucent finish to the wood - i.e. not opaque black, as best I understand:

"No paint on the back or neck (natural/stained finish)"
I took “natural/stained“ to mean a natural wood neck, hence the rosewood reference. Re-reading, I agree it could also mean a finished neck that shows the wood beneath. I’m not sure which she meant. That 408 seemed to be on point for most of the rest. A cool instrument either way!

I’ve got very small hands (think of your average 12 year olds hand size) and I’ve found the wide thin to be uncomfortable whereas the old wide fat neck was very comfortable for me.

I’d always recommend looking at the 594 Hollowbody. They are light weight, carve on the back is comfy, and with the coil splits so many tones that sound fabulous. Add a rosewood neck then you’re in heaven.

IMG_1715.jpg

Back