Is there such a guitar?

CarolD

StartedTooLate
Please forgive my ignorance of PRS models, but I find some of the models/special editions confusing. After spending about a year with my SE HBII P (which I love!), I think I've narrowed down my must haves for a second guitar. Sadly, I don't think it exists, but maybe I haven't thought of one of the model variations.

Here's my dream:

22 fret
Double cut, but to get my specs I wouldn't turn down a SC
Stoptail
25" (or less) scale length
Hollow or semi would be nice but not a deal breaker
Pattern Thin neck
Newer TCI tuned pickups
2 humbuckers, coil tap via toggle switches (I have a strong dislike guitars with 4 knobs- my issue, I know :>)
No paint on the back or neck (natural/stained finish)

So, basically it would be a Paul's Guitar with a thin neck. Or a McCarty 594 Thinline with different switching and better aesthetics. Does such a beast exist to anyone's knowledge? Maybe some shop did a limited run that would get me there?

Sometimes I get the feeling that PRS doesn't think much about women guitarists.

Many thanks!

Please forgive my ignorance of PRS models, but I find some of the models/special editions confusing. After spending about a year with my SE HBII P (which I love!), I think I've narrowed down my must haves for a second guitar. Sadly, I don't think it exists, but maybe I haven't thought of one of the model variations.

Here's my dream:

22 fret
Stoptail
Pattern Thin neck
Newer TCI tuned pickups
2 humbuckers, coil tap via toggle switches (I have a strong dislike guitars with 4 knobs- my issue, I know :>)

So, basically it would be a Paul's Guitar with a thin neck. Or a McCarty 594 Thinline with different switching and better aesthetics. Does such a beast exist to anyone's knowledge? Maybe some shop did a limited run that would get me there?

Many thanks!
Your choice among current product will probably be a CU24, which has 24 frets.

I think PRS does care about women guitarists, which is why there's an Orianthi model, and there are other endorsers who are women. Thinner necks are a different issue, and as far as I know, the CU24 is the only model that sports them.

A number of players, myself included, feel that neck thickness is important, and that a thicker neck has a bit better tone and more sustain. I'm guessing I'm not alone, since PRS sells plenty of guitars, and most of them have the Pattern neck.

At one time, PRS made the 408, the CU22, and the CU24 with the Pattern Thin and the Wide Thin necks. You might find something you like on the used market. I'd certainly do a search if that's important to you, as it seems to be.

I had a 408 with the Pattern Thin, but preferred the thicker neck.

Thanks so much LSchefman!

And I have searched high and low for a guitar that has all of the specs I want and I can't find it... boo!

And I know that PRS has endorsed female players, but I was speaking of guitars that are a better fit for the average female player. The Orianthi guitar... you mean the $12,000 one? Please don't misunderstand me... I hate the "pink it and shrink it" mentality that pervades manufacturing for women. I'm not asking for "women specific" guitars, either. Just maybe more guitars offered with thinner necks. And maybe it's like the lefty guitar thing that Paul talks about. Not enough of a market, so they don't offer them. Maybe most folks don't like thinner necks.

I am not a small woman, but even I have a lot less meat on my ribcage than a guy, so I'd prefer a rib bevel. I have pretty big hands for a woman, but I'd prefer more choices with thinner necks. My shoulder carriage is never going to be as wide as a mans, so shorter scale length and how my right arm hangs over the guitar are important things for me to think about before dropping a lot of money on a guitar.

The more I think about it, what really want is a CORE 594 Thinline with Paul's switching, a much better looking top, and no paint on the body/neck!

Anyone have one???

Have you seen the Special Semi-Hollow?

This one's mine. 22 frets, semi-hollow thinline, only two knobs, PG style switching plus the extra pickup. This one's got the Artist package and an ebony fretboard.

Lots of different tops available, if you can find the right one, great. Everything you want, but it has a Pattern neck. So it's probably not your style.

You can find them with maple necks, but PRS paints their necks, even the ones that don't appear to be painted have an infused finish, except for the Rosewood necks. But a dealer would have to do a Wood Library run for you to get the thinner neck, or you'd have to go PS.

Another option you might want to try is a DGT. Similar to a Pattern Regular neck, but spec'd by David Grissom (less wide than a Pattern neck.

2 Frets. 3 Knobs.

I got an email that Northeast Music Center has some DGTs with roasted maple necks, as well as necks that match the top finish. They look pretty nice.

Finally, the original Orianthi model was (or is if it's still made) an SE. The PS model came much later. In any event, just because the model isn't exactly what you want doesn't mean that eventually they won't make what you want.

You can't take this stuff personally. It's got everything to do with what sells well, and what doesn't. The wide-thin, and later the Pattern-thin, were options on other models for a long time. Apparently they didn't sell well, because PRS now only offers the Pattern-thin on the CU24. Probably a good choice for a shredder.

Last edited:
Oooohhhhh.... absolutely stunning guitar and I'll bet it sounds fantastic! And the DGT option sounds interesting as well. I will check out both of these! Thanks so much for the replies LSchefman! Much more poking around to do. And I never, ever take it personally when a company doesn't offer exactly what I want. I'm sure it has to do with what sells more units, and I realize that I can be a bit of an outlier in my needs :>

Don't discount the pattern regular neck. The nut is slightly narrower and the shape super comfortable. It doesn't check all the boxes but look into the Vela. It's an amazing guitar. It doesn't have TCI but the pickups are great. You could easily add toggles with a pick guard instead of push pull if you wanted. The neck pickup is single coil, but a meaty one. I have quite a few PRS and it's still one of my favs to grab.

The maple neck specials are a nice variant if you want a bit more sparkle , takes a bit of hunting though .
iqdkixiw84texlr7qlav.jpg

You can find Custom 22s with thin neck

The SE Mira seems to have all the specs you mentioned
like below

PRS necks are not really huge except maybe the Santana, I have small hands and actually like the Pattern neck best
below are models that are worth a look I think

There are guitars like the Dirty 100 or the Ted McCarty DC245 that have the 22 fret, hardtail and short scale length down. Unfortunately they seem to have the wide fat neck type rather than the thin neck. I can't think of anything like that that also has a thin neck.
Do any of the Santana shaped one have thin necks? KL33, West Street ltd etc?
It might be worth looking through the places that do wood library guitars and see if anyone has done a special run with a thin neck

Yet another option would be to get one that has everything you want except the neck profile. You can have a good luthier thin the neck out to your liking. I know a luthier who used to work at the factory who could handle that. If you want the neck refinished, the original custom shop finisher is also available.

Yet another option would be to get one that has everything you want except the neck profile. You can have a good luthier thin the neck out to your liking. I know a luthier who used to work at the factory who could handle that. If you want the neck refinished, the original custom shop finisher is also available.
That's a good option to consider. Even Eric Johnson effectively did this to vintage Stratocasters - re-profiling the fretboard to flatten it and fitting jumbo frets. Nothing wrong with getting a guitar reworked to work for you

Here's my dream:

22 fret
Stoptail
Pattern Thin neck
Newer TCI tuned pickups

Many thanks!
Did you ever find your dream guitar?

Back