Introduce yourself!

Hey guys! I joined recently. Just got my first PRS (SE Singlecut w/ Moons) just this past weekend and I'm already in love with it!

I'm new here.

I had a Hollow-body II a few years ago. Now I have a used 2001 Swamp Ash, and a brand new 2013 Custom 22 w "10" top and trem.

Wondering beyond string sets being "9's," what the rest of the gauges in the sets are?

Also, should a 2001 Swamp Ash have a Seymour Duncan neck pickup?

Good day folks, spent this last last summer saving up for a new guitar and I finally made up my mind and bought a PRS S2 Custom 24. I wanted a guitar that could play both hard rock and metal really well and this does both better than I could have hoped! I went to Guitar Center last week, tried out this and the Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro which was the other guitar I was considering, and I went with the PRS.

Hello everyone,

I joined the forum a few months ago when I purchased my 3rd PRS guitar (I have an NF3, Hollowbody, and C24). I am not very tech savy. This is the 1st forum that I have joined. While I have not posted many threads, I have been browsing the forum daily and I have learned a lot from all of you on lots of different topics.

OK - some background. Started playing guitar when I was 18 and fell in love with it. Was in a band within a year that played primarily southern rock and British blues (Clapton, Beck etc). I played a Gibson LP at the time (which I still have - there was no PRS in the 70's). Got a "real" job after graduating from college with a finance degree and put the guitar down for about 25 years, while earning a living in "Corporate Finance". Started to play again 5 years ago and started into a much deeper dive into the blues and what I will call blues fusion (think Larry Carlton, Robben Ford etc) as well as Bossa Nova. Learning tools are so much better now than in the 70's and 80's! Have formed an amateur band and we play at occasional parties in the local area. I have learned how to play bass guitar (at least good enough to create backing tracks on a Boss RC300) for the band since we have no bass player or drummer.

In any case I love all things to do with music and like this forum!

Hello everyone,

I joined the forum a few months ago when I purchased my 3rd PRS guitar (I have an NF3, Hollowbody, and C24). I am not very tech savy. This is the 1st forum that I have joined. While I have not posted many threads, I have been browsing the forum daily and I have learned a lot from all of you on lots of different topics.

OK - some background. Started playing guitar when I was 18 and fell in love with it. Was in a band within a year that played primarily southern rock and British blues (Clapton, Beck etc). I played a Gibson LP at the time (which I still have - there was no PRS in the 70's). Got a "real" job after graduating from college with a finance degree and put the guitar down for about 25 years, while earning a living in "Corporate Finance". Started to play again 5 years ago and started into a much deeper dive into the blues and what I will call blues fusion (think Larry Carlton, Robben Ford etc) as well as Bossa Nova. Learning tools are so much better now than in the 70's and 80's! Have formed an amateur band and we play at occasional parties in the local area. I have learned how to play bass guitar (at least good enough to create backing tracks on a Boss RC300) for the band since we have no bass player or drummer.

In any case I love all things to do with music and like this forum!

Welcome!!!

Hello every one. I am Jason. I just start learning to play guitar. Nice to be a member to gain more about guitar here.

Redmax61, AKA Robin F. Longtime lurker in the Official Forum, but I've been a loudmouth on most of the PRS related forums since around 2000. I finally decided to say hello.

Hey guys,
I'm from NH. Just bought my first PRS, a PRS S2 single cut. Been playing in a band called " ThE RoYaL PaiNs" for about 7 years now. We are musicians from the 80s. Hope to learn about PRS from you guys. Really like the guitar and hope to add more.

Hey mate, usually Prototype anything is cool, especially if they're a little weird and wonderful compared to the model they became, or didn't become. Well that's my opinion anyway!

Yours is cool also but possibly not as special as some others, since the Stripped 58 is just a SC-58 with less frilly bits (no headstock veneer, binding, Artist top etc), yours is really only special because it was one of the first "Strippers" if not the first.

Still a cool piece of PRS history, just not massively significant. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have that particular guitar in my stable :)

Thanks for the info! The store did list it as "artist top" I had no idea what that was anyway when I bough it. Were they incorrect?

They also called it "McCarty 58" is it possible that had the artist top?

Possibly incorrect, it wouldn't make sense to put an Artist top on a Stripper, even a proto. They didn't even have a 10-top option until after the initial "limited" run.

Identifying an Artist top can be a little subjective, but it should have a lot of deep, consistent figuring (either flame or quilt). Here's an example of a SC-58 with an Artist top:

prs_sc58MIPA1-e1332507210911-1024x363.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry had a Private Stock photo before. Nope, you have a Stripped 58 Prototype, the colour might be McCarty burst or something? It's definitely not a MC-58. It's hard to tell what top you have from your photo, can you take a hi-res one in better (sun) light? My guess is the shop just didn't know what they had.

Back