Interesting notes on guitar imports/exports 30 years ago and now

Eichaan

Every month I re-read the Guitar Player magazine from exactly 30 years ago for my blog. Looking at the June, 1989 issue I was struck by the editorial which seemed to bemoan the trade imbalance on guitars.

June-1989-cover-e1561072328215.jpg

The opening editorial from publisher Jim Crockett was titled “The Balance of Payments”, and it discussed the 1988 statistics on imports and exports of acoustic and electric guitars. According to Crockett:

“…in 1988, about 611,400 acoustic guitars worth less than $100 each were imported into the U.S….And where did most of these come from? Not Japan, as some of you might assume, but from Korea, Taiwan and (ready?) China. In the area of over-$100 acoustics, the United States brought in a little over 41,000 instruments last year, most of those from just Korea and Taiwan.

How about electrics? In ’88, about 485,200 units were shipped into the U.S. Again, mostly Asian in origin. Altogether, America imported about 1,137,700 acoustic and electric guitars–up 167,500 from 1987.

In 1988, while Americans were importing 652,000 acoustic guitars, we were exporting just 29,600. Talk about your ‘imbalance’. And at the same time we were welcoming 485,200 foreign electric guitars, we sent out only 33,500.

Overall, America brought in 1,137,700 or so guitars, but exported merely 63,100. “

Well, there is a lot to unpack here, even beyond the fact that this simplistic analysis sounds like the kind of thing that around this same time led a somewhat well-known real estate mogul in New York to decide that “America was losing”. First of all, it sounds about right to me that guitar sales were increasing at this time, which was the peak of rock on MTV, with guitar solos on every pop song and grunge just a disquieting rumble in the distance. Second, I wish that Crockett had been able to give us dollar values of the imports and exports. Finally, I wonder what the numbers are like now, when so many people are proclaiming the end of the guitar (despite a seemingly endless supply of cheap guitars on Amazon and eBay).

Fortunately, I didn’t have too far to look. The 2015 NAMM Global Report is available online, and it is full of fascinating details, including these charts:

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-8.00.16-PM.png

In other words, in 2014 (26 years after Crockett’s data), the United States imported 2 million guitars and exported just over 125,000. Both of these numbers are increases over the 1988 totals, but, interestingly are down quite a bit from 2005 before the Great Recession (and before the spread of smartphones). Now of course the U.S. population in 1990 was just under 249 million and by 2010 was over 310 million, so one could assume that the population increase alone should result in more guitarists, but I can’t do that kind of math. The report does say that:

“Acoustic guitars were the top performers in 2014. A 10% increase to 1,498,700 units translated into a 12.5% gain in retail value as customers opted for higher priced instruments. It’s difficult to pinpoint a single catalyst for the improvement. Retailers and manufacturers interviewed cited a better economic climate; the rise of singer-songwriters like Taylor Swift, who have attracted more female buyers, and consumers looking for an antidote to an increasingly digitized world.

In the realm of electric guitars, unit volume edged up 2% to 1,132,250, while estimated retail value increased 8.3% to $505.9 million. The shift to higher-priced products was generally welcomed by manufacturers and retailers….[h]owever, some still expressed concerns. ‘We’re seeing fewer first-time buyers and a lot more older guys adding instruments to their collection.'”

Interesting stuff, at least to me. And I can’t help but wonder where all these guitars are going. I mean, they aren’t disposable. A glance at Reverb as I write this on June 20th shows 131,550 used guitars available on the site, including 6,128 from the 1980’s–some of which might be the ones Crockett was talking about. So in some ways, this is probably a great time to be a guitar player due to the saturated market; I mean, you don’t have to look far or pay much for a guitar these days which makes it great for beginners and “collectors” alike. What do you think about this?

[QUOTE="Eichaan, post: 484939, member: 20491"And I can’t help but wonder where all these guitars are going. I mean, they aren’t disposable. [/QUOTE]

Smashed up by “The Who” tribute bands?:cool:

Or owned by this guy (fast forward to 1:48 or so).

The late 80s didn't have the plethora of video games that are available today. Kids bought guitars out of boredom. They struggled with uneven buzzing frets to learn to play. Meanwhile today's video games know how to start off with easy playable levels at the beginning and increase difficulty as you go while the guitar market continues to give the hardest playing guitars to the beginners and the easy stuff to the high end boutique buyers. So more kids are flocking to video games out of boredom and ease of entry.

Today it's not about owning one guitar, but a fleet of guitars. That's where all the sales and re-selling is happening.

The 80s certainly did have a plethora of video games, Atari and Nintendo consoles were plentiful, heck I even played video games on a vic 20.

I started playing guitar on the worst instrument in the world because I wanted to play guitar, not because I was bored. I never met anyone who started to play guitar out of boredom.

[QUOTE="Eichaan, post: 484939, member: 20491"And I can’t help but wonder where all these guitars are going. I mean, they aren’t disposable.

Smashed up by “The Who” tribute bands?:cool:

Or owned by this guy (fast forward to 1:48 or so).

[/QUOTE]

Too old to act that way!
If playing affected me like that, I would have given up long before reaching that stage. I notice he retained enough presence of mind not to damage the guitar he was actually playing. So he had some control. It wouldn't surprise me if that was all planned.

The late 80s didn't have the plethora of video games that are available today. Kids bought guitars out of boredom. They struggled with uneven buzzing frets to learn to play. Meanwhile today's video games know how to start off with easy playable levels at the beginning and increase difficulty as you go while the guitar market continues to give the hardest playing guitars to the beginners and the easy stuff to the high end boutique buyers. So more kids are flocking to video games out of boredom and ease of entry.

Today it's not about owning one guitar, but a fleet of guitars. That's where all the sales and re-selling is happening.

I spent the 80's playing Video Games throughout the entire decade. That being said, in the UK we only had a few channels available for TV so not a lot of potential distractions and very few kids/teenagers had a TV in their room so gaming may be limited to certain times - when the parents didn't want to watch TV for example.

The big difference with the 80's compared to today that I think has a bigger influence is that Music was much more popular and that music was much more likely to be played on real instruments too and thus more 'kids' would have musicians influencing them, the big rockstar life, their hero and wanting to emulate them. I can't speak for others - especially growing up in the US as I grew up in the UK - but even the TV had more music programmes like Top of the Pops or the Chart Show and for those with satellite TV that started to gain a foothold, MTV and the Music Video was a big influence.

It seems that kids heroes these days are more likely to be a sports star or eSport/gamer, maybe some rapper or 'vocalist' (rather than anyone who actually plays), some DJ/Mixer etc etc. Arguably, their seems to be more girls getting into guitar because of artists like Taylor Swift whilst the 'boys' are more likely to want to get decks to mix tunes and beats. That's great to see and its possible that 'gaming' isn't as important to girls as much as boys and as such take a bigger interest in music.

I am not the best person to speak about what the 'kids' of today are into as mine are adults themselves now. All I can speak about is comparing the things that I remember and the interests of my kids growing up in a world where you didn't want your kids going out for fear of harm or worse happening to them. When I grew up, kids were always playing outside, doors left unlocked etc but the news and stories of kids being abducted etc made you reluctant to let your kids go out and play - especially out of sight of your house or without a trusted adults supervision - ie going to one of their friends house where you also know the parents.

Hmmm, seems the ‘imbalance’ is not that great when viewed in dollars rather than number of units. We import many more cheap guitars, but the lower number of exports are much more expensive guitars, at least that is what the charts above show.

Reading the numbers brought back a serious question to me.. Where on earth are all those guitars?? I know fires, tornados, earthquakes, floods, highway wrecks, drunken stumbles, could all take out a bunch over time, but a million gits are alot that no one ever sees.

Reading the numbers brought back a serious question to me.. Where on earth are all those guitars?? I know fires, tornados, earthquakes, floods, highway wrecks, drunken stumbles, could all take out a bunch over time, but a million gits are alot that no one ever sees.

I expect a lot of those Guitars have been added to existing guitarists collections. I bet a lot of those here have increased their overall Guitar collection numbers. Its not that a lot of guitars have been lost to unforeseen circumstances but even those that have would most likely of been replaced by the musicians who owned them. A musician needs their tools. I am sure there are a LOT sat in stores, old ones traded in for newer models as well which may account for a significant portion of the 'new' guitars bought. A few may well be sold to 'new' guitarists looking to start or maybe to move up the 'ladder' in terms of quality from their starting guitars and so the 'collectathon' begins for them. I doubt many guitarists just have 1 guitar - at least not the more experienced guitarists.

As I said, I expect that a LOT of the members here have expanded their guitar collection over the years. The majority of these guitars becoming part of a guitarists toolbox - either as a back up/main instrument or as something 'new' that expands the tonal options. What I mean by that is either a guitar that is the back-up or relegates the existing guitar to be a back-up, not offering anything particularly different or buying something that offers something new, something different, something to expand their tonal palette. In both cases, these guitars are increasing a persons collection rather than substituting a 'new' for a Used one on the market - which also happens too.

Not all guitars are lost due to unforeseen circumstances - the new guitars are bought to add to collections for various reasons and the few that may trade, meaning a 'new' guitar is sold but that leads to an increase in the number of 'used' guitars on the market, is still buying one of the 'new' guitars. I am sure if we look around the retailers, there are 'older' new guitars for sale - 2017 or older - that haven't sold yet, but in general, these are often reduced and become 'bargains' for guitarists to pick up rather than find the extra just to be a 'newer' manufactured guitar. Most of the Shops I buy from don't tend to have PRS guitars that are older than 2017 still sitting on shelves so someone must be buying them and I expect its those that want a 'new' PRS at a lower price than the 2018/19 models.

Considering that the population of the US is roughly 330 million, less than 1% of the population could account for all of the import guitars shown in the chart. Then there are plenty of people like me that collect many, so 3 million import guitars aren't even enough to go around, and the rest would have to be domestic.

I wonder how many domestic guitars are sold within the country.

Back